Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? on: August 28, 2013, 12:34:35 PM
JRA

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2013, 12:34:35 PM »

Could be...
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/08/gallery/eurobike-tech-giro_300709

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 06:10:55 PM
csm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 06:10:55 PM »

That is ugly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 07:11:22 AM
wunnspeed

SpoK Werks - Handmade Cycling Goods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 07:11:22 AM »

I saw this shoe at EuroBike, love the orange! I tried the Spez. Rime but the tread isn't deep enough (seem like they've fixed it on newer versions) and now they have the SWorks Trail too. I really like the Giro and the new SWorks. Currently trying to find a local shop that carries the Giro as I need a new shoe for nex t years adventures. As far a looks go.... Well, for me, as long as they look like a mountain bike SHOE and not a boot or a tennis shoe, they look pretty good. My biggest worry, these days, is function. They must be stiff enough for efficient, pain free pedaling (I use a carbon SWorks MTB shoe for normal riding/racing) but flexible enough for walking/hiking when necessary. As I'm primarily a singlespeeder, that happens more than for many others.

Michael Cleveland - SpoK Werks bikepacking gear
SpoK Werks Etsy
SpoK Werks FB
Big Wheel Racing Europe

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 10:49:04 AM
FatCloud

Cross check at Briones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 10:49:04 AM »

I don't understand the fascination of clipless, if bikepackers keep running into problems with clipless why don't they give them up?

Flat pedals + hiking shoes (or Five Tens) = Heaven.

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 06:00:08 AM
MartinFarrent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 06:00:08 AM »

Not to explain the fascination, because it would probably be OT... I just prefer them.

But there are only two real issues on trips: stiffness and a slippery cleat that sometimes feels unsafe during rocky hiking passages. Some shoes address both topics quite well.

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:49:32 AM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:49:32 AM »

I don't understand the fascination of clipless, if bikepackers keep running into problems with clipless why don't they give them up?

Flat pedals + hiking shoes (or Five Tens) = Heaven.
The "fascination" is with the greater efficiency in comparison to flat pedals.  

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 12:05:25 PM
FatCloud

Cross check at Briones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 12:05:25 PM »

The "fascination" is with the greater efficiency in comparison to flat pedals. 

The power output is the same. Once you get used to flats there is hardly a longday efficiency loss at all. Plus the advantage of walking the bike and having one less breakable thing is really a bonus.

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 01:40:12 PM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 01:40:12 PM »

The power output is the same. Once you get used to flats there is hardly a longday efficiency loss at all. Plus the advantage of walking the bike and having one less breakable thing is really a bonus.
To each their own amigo.  I have no problems with you using whatever it is you like. 

But clipless pedals are used in virtually every type of competitive cycling, (with the exception of gravity) specifically because they are more efficient at transferring power from the rider to the bike. 

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 02:28:12 PM
MartinFarrent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 02:28:12 PM »

Plus the advantage of walking the bike and having one less breakable thing is really a bonus.

I carry spare cleats on tour, but I have never once needed them despite many hiking passages on rocky ground over quite a few years. The last pair of cleats I replaced (at home) were rusted-in after too many years of use, so I destroyed the screw heads with an electric drill. Admittedly, that would be an awkward remedy on the road. But overall, I think the cleats are a negligible liability.

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 04:25:46 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 04:25:46 AM »

I too am looking at some options to replace my Shimano MT91s.

So far I've found a few others as options in this shoe genre:

Lake MX100, MX167
Northwave Dolomites, Gran Canion, Mission
Shimano MT53
Keen Springwater II
Pearl Izumi X-Alp variants

Some of these options are just plain, plain ugly, or too narrow for me, or too much like a basic touring shoe with a simple tread (ie no chunkies for HAB)

So far, the Gran Canion or the Mission (with a mini gaiter) looks like it will be a good balance for what I want. I like to walk onto the plane, around town for last minute gear, then ride all day/night for weeks, HAB, climb stuff, all in the one shoe.

Then, combine them with a trail gaiter like:
http://www.salomon.com/au/product/trail-gaiters-low.html
 or the Moxie Gear trekking gaiters, but I like the practicality of the Salomon gaiters over the moxies (I have a set of the Moxies) as you can put the salomons on with or without your shoes on.

Does anyone have beta on the gran canion or Mission?

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 06:40:36 PM
FatCloud

Cross check at Briones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 06:40:36 PM »

To each their own amigo.  I have no problems with you using whatever it is you like. 

But clipless pedals are used in virtually every type of competitive cycling, (with the exception of gravity) specifically because they are more efficient at transferring power from the rider to the bike. 

Fair enough. But I think we just need to stop sharing false information about how much better clipless are, because they really aren't. I think it's crazy when I hear new touring cyclists get told they need clipless shoes. No one needs clipless shoes.

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 09:07:17 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 09:07:17 PM »

It's not false information. I think it's important for 'new touring cyclists' to be aware of all the options, to trial them for themselves, and then be qualified to make an educated decision of flats or clip-ins. However, popular opinion might sway them in a particular direction - the expert in their club, coffee shop banter, and of course, forums.

They both have advantages, but a myriad of factors may predispose one over another. Experience is a great teacher.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 07:15:06 AM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 07:15:06 AM »

Fair enough. But I think we just need to stop sharing false information about how much better clipless are, because they really aren't. I think it's crazy when I hear new touring cyclists get told they need clipless shoes. No one needs clipless shoes.
How much better clipless pedals are is relative to how hard one chooses to ride.  The more effort you put out, the greater to advantage is.  I don't believe this to be "false information" at all.

I switched from toe clips and straps to clipless pedals (for both mountain and road bike) in about 1987 and I have no regrets whatsoever.  I do use flats on my beach cruiser for riding down to the corner for a slice of pizza though.

But like I've said, I have no problems with those who prefer to use flat pedals, or any other gear choice that they feel is right for them.  Freedom of choice!

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 07:11:26 PM
tboysen

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 07:11:26 PM »

Fat C, There is an clear advantage to the clipless system that I had figured all bike riders to have discovered by now.

Quote the efficiency numbers during all efforts to prove flat pedals are equal to a clipless system, and I will leave it at that.

BTW- Hello All!

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 07:24:06 PM
Bndst

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 07:24:06 PM »

To get back on topic...since this debate has been had pretty much to exhaustion many a time already.

Those Giros come in another color that is much less offensive than the red/orange/black. I've had really good luck with Giro stuff so far (both road and mtn) so my fingers are cross that these carry on that string of luck. I bought a pair of Rimes this summer...and I'm not 100% happy, though they're the best option I've come across for my riding so far. These Giros are hopefully the answer...I've got a pair on backorder w/ my Giro rep, I'll be sure to review asap.

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 02:44:18 PM
adamgnewman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 02:44:18 PM »

Scott also has a new "enduro" shoe or two with Vibram soles.

A lot of the enduro shoes would make great bikepacking shoes.

Giro, Five10, Teva, and others also have "gravity" or downhill shoes with SPDs now that would be nice for touring, but don't have a ton of tread for slippery surfaces.

Mostly I use these:

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 03:58:23 PM
Michael_S

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 03:58:23 PM »

checked the new Specialized S-works trail shoes... $350 is quite a bit for a trail shoe!  They do look a lot like the Giro's, just toned down a bit.

I only ride in Specialized shoes because the Body Geometry wedge is the best thing that ever happened for my right knee.  I have done a few overnights with them and plenty of hike-a-bike and they seem fine for most off the bike use. It would be nice to have a grippier sole but I tried a pair of Rime's last year but they are roomier then the Pro or Comp models and didn't fit my heel.  

mike

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 05:40:05 PM
adamgnewman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 05:40:05 PM »

The thing to note about those new SWorks trail shoes is they are a "12" on the stiffness scale. Not ideal for long days and virtually impossible to walk in.

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 05:49:02 PM
Michael_S

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 05:49:02 PM »

yea, I saw that.  I don't know if their stiffness ratings stay consistent year to year but I have both the Comp and Pro models from a few years ago, which are rated at 6 and 11 stiffness and I can't tell a real difference.

mike

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 07:27:01 PM
adamgnewman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 07:27:01 PM »

Oh, and for my normal mountain biking I use the Mavic Alpine XL shoes and loooooove them. Can easily walk around all day in them. They also make a black/gray lace-up pair if you're not into the moon-boot look.

Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: