Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 02:12:36 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 02:12:36 AM »

Oh, and for my normal mountain biking I use the Mavic Alpine XL shoes and loooooove them. Can easily walk around all day in them. They also make a black/gray lace-up pair if you're not into the moon-boot look.

An interesting thing about the Mavics, is they are made by Salomon. Great boots.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 09:01:10 AM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 09:01:10 AM »

Scott also has a new "enduro" shoe or two with Vibram soles.

A lot of the enduro shoes would make great bikepacking shoes.

Giro, Five10, Teva, and others also have "gravity" or downhill shoes with SPDs now that would be nice for touring, but don't have a ton of tread for slippery surfaces.

Mostly I use these:

The great thing about those is you could hit the bowling alley after riding in them all day!  
Dual purpose is always good! :-)

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 12:45:23 PM
wunnspeed

SpoK Werks - Handmade Cycling Goods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 12:45:23 PM »

I don't understand the fascination of clipless, if bikepackers keep running into problems with clipless why don't they give them up?

Flat pedals + hiking shoes (or Five Tens) = Heaven.

It's my preference and has been since about 6 months after I started riding again 20 years ago. Some of it has to do with the fact that I primarily ride singlespeed and like & want the connection to the bike. Along with that, I don't want to wear boots to ride my bike. I have clip less on my commuter if that tells you anything. Flats just aren't for me.

Michael Cleveland - SpoK Werks bikepacking gear
SpoK Werks Etsy
SpoK Werks FB
Big Wheel Racing Europe

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 07:15:06 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 07:15:06 PM »

I think that fit is probably the single most important factor when choosing a shoe. Numb toes, blisters, slop, etc. can really take the joy out of an all-day ride/hike.

"Done"

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 11:21:49 AM
kai_ski

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 11:21:49 AM »

That is ugly.

I like the red, but I would like the gold in this video even more.

Giro: Adam Craig and the Terraduro Shoe

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 11:54:31 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 11:54:31 AM »

Oh, and for my normal mountain biking I use the Mavic Alpine XL shoes and loooooove them. Can easily walk around all day in them. They also make a black/gray lace-up pair if you're not into the moon-boot look.

Did not have good luck with these shoes on the CTR. The soles were destroyed by day #2 and no amount of taping, gluing or praying helped. Seemed like a great pair of shoes (very comfy), until they were tested in that type of HaB setting.

Also, those things couldn't have been any hotter.

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 11:57:02 AM
adamgnewman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 11:57:02 AM »

Did not have good luck with these shoes on the CTR. The soles were destroyed by day #2 and no amount of taping, gluing or praying helped. Seemed like a great pair of shoes (very comfy), until they were tested in that type of HaB setting.

Also, those things couldn't have been any hotter.

That's a bummer. Yeah the tread on mine are pretty worn, but like I said, they're mostly used for regular mountain biking, not a lot of hike a bike.

Scott is coming with a bunch of "enduro" shoes with Vibram soles. Looking forward to seeing those.

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 11:58:31 AM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 11:58:31 AM »

An interesting thing about the Mavics, is they are made by Salomon. Great boots.

It's under the same umbrella company:
Salomon acquired Mavic in the 1990s, and was in the late 90s taken over by Adidas. In 2005, Salomon and Mavic were sold to Amer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mavic

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 11:59:50 AM
adamgnewman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 11:59:50 AM »

It's under the same umbrella company:
Salomon acquired Mavic in the 1990s, and was in the late 90s taken over by Adidas. In 2005, Salomon and Mavic were sold to Amer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mavic

Pretty sure they are aligned with Arcteryx too.

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 12:04:18 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 12:04:18 PM »

That's a bummer. Yeah the tread on mine are pretty worn, but like I said, they're mostly used for regular mountain biking, not a lot of hike a bike.

I think they work well under normal use, but it seems like the front of the sole kept getting forces that just wanted to rip the thing in two, when HaB for, uh, miles. The sole is made of two different materials - a hard shell, and a soft rubbery part. Those two parts are help together by some sort of adhesive. Once that goes, you're SOL.

Not sure what to look out for, to not have that happen - you either get a too-stiff sole, or this. I know the Pearl Izumi X-Alps are basically hinged to stop that shearing-like force.

I'll post up some photos from after the CTR. Those shoes are incredibly hilarious looking.

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #30 on: November 20, 2013, 12:10:46 PM
adamgnewman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2013, 12:10:46 PM »

I think they work well under normal use, but it seems like the front of the sole kept getting forces that just wanted to rip the thing in two, when HaB for, uh, miles. The sole is made of two different materials - a hard shell, and a soft rubbery part. Those two parts are help together by some sort of adhesive. Once that goes, you're SOL.

Not sure what to look out for, to not have that happen - you either get a too-stiff sole, or this. I know the Pearl Izumi X-Alps are basically hinged to stop that shearing-like force.

I'll post up some photos from after the CTR. Those shoes are incredibly hilarious looking.

Yikes. It might be worth contacting them about a warranty or something. They've had really excellent customer service in my experience.

Topic Name: A New Bikepacking Shoe From Giro? Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 02:13:42 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 02:13:42 PM »

Most likely, that's a good idea, but uh: so, lazy Wink I'm known around town as The Guy Who Destroys Bikes (and bike-related parts), so much in fact, that I'll be getting some fancy shoes to attempt to destroy - I mean test in a few weeks - sadly, not very HaB compatible, but should hold me over for anything else until the summer, at least.

Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: