Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: An interesting bit of kit to consider. on: January 27, 2012, 10:03:28 PM
WalksOn2Wheels

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2012, 10:03:28 PM »

I just made a frame bag and a handlebar sling, and was thinking about making a modular attachment for the sling to act as a smallish handlebar bag. I was also thinking about finding a decent, packable backpack that could be used for overflow on longer trips should I need to carry more water or food for whatever reason.

And then, while cruising through an Amry Navy store, I found this:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/instant-tactical-pack-pouch.aspx?a=926336

Holy cow, right? Sure, it's not UL (site says 14 ounces), but it kills two birds with one stone for me. I may change my mind later, but it was interesting enough that I thought some folks here might find it useful. The backpack won't be nearly as comfy as my Talon 22, but then again, I was going to carry something like the seatosummit packable backpack at something like 2 or 3 ounces. I figure once I get to overflow territory, I'll be smart and put light, bulky stuff like clothes in the backpack. I'm sure there are ways to lighten up the bag as well. Lots of heavy and bulky zipper pulls for one.

Topic Name: An interesting bit of kit to consider. Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:11:44 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:11:44 PM »

This is what I have:

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86

68 grams? I bought it for the Tour Divide, thinking it would be nice to stash food for extended periods on the road, but was used as a regular stuff sack, since I had an actual pack on, as an additional attachment point for the snow shoes.

Topic Name: An interesting bit of kit to consider. Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 10:17:23 PM
WalksOn2Wheels

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 10:17:23 PM »

Yeah, that's the one I was talking about. Thanks for the link.

So you brought it along even though you had a primary pack? Have you had a chance to wear it as an actual pack for any extended period of time? Like I said, I figured as long as only lighter stuff was carried in it, it could be doable.

Topic Name: An interesting bit of kit to consider. Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 10:30:35 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 10:30:35 PM »

Yeah, I saw that, right after I posted! Smiley

I haven't had a chance to use it as my primary pack, it has the feeling of a (well built) stuff grocery bag, but with small backpack straps. If memory serves me, it is a piece of kit  (or something similar) that Chris Plesko used on the Tour Divide. Look similar?

http://lightpack.blogspot.com/2011/06/hardest-bicycle-race-in-world.html

I may bring mine along as a peak bagging bag, as I always forget water and food if my hiking partner doesn't want to nab that last bit of a peak and I don't want to bring my largish pack on a class 4 scramble. I'd worry about the obvious: things sticking me in the back of the pack and ventilation. I think you'd be fine, though, sticking your clothes in it, to make room for more heavier items in your front stuff sack or something. I'd love to say I can go so UL to not need a pack, but I'm not seeing how that's actually worth it, considering how much water you can keep in a res. on your back. Incredibly, I've never had back issues, if I did, I'd be a little more into not using a backpack.

Topic Name: An interesting bit of kit to consider. Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 12:04:45 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 12:04:45 AM »

The Sea to Summit pack is great for what it is, but it does have a few shortcomings.

I recently used one on a bike tour in Chile. For the first few days I rode with the pack and once I repacked my gear I only used it for grocery runs later in the day before I set up camp or when on foot as a day pack. Loading it up with banana's, gatorade, cookies and the like, a tonne of weight is not ideal, lightly packed, no worries. Durability was not an issue, this thing held up, but because the straps are just thin silnylon strips and would dig into my shoulders. I used a velcro strap as a make shift sternum strap to better centre the shoulder straps and this made it infinitely more comfortable.

Also the bottom slide adjustment for the shoulder straps would slip so I just tied knots at the length I wanted to keep the shoulder straps. This worked well enough but limited any adjustment.

It's good for what it is but an improved version could easily be made.

I would.... ditch the zipper and make it a draw cord bag, lighter, more compact. widen the shoulder straps and put in very thin CCfoam. Finally use webbing not cord attached to the shoulder straps.

Or just get this.. http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks/riksak-223.html

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: An interesting bit of kit to consider. Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 03:18:38 PM
donmeredith74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 03:18:38 PM »

Another great option is the REI Flash 18 if you're looking for an inexpensive & simple pack. The GoLite Ion is my ultimate fave but they're hard to find and expensive because of the lack of supply now.

The model from last year is currently on sale for $20.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=flash+18

Don Meredith
Greenville, SC
http://lightpack.blogspot.com

Topic Name: An interesting bit of kit to consider. Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 05:09:29 PM
JReeves

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 05:09:29 PM »

I ride with the REI Flash 18 pretty often, not for bikepacking, but just on longer mtb rides.  It carries very well, and has a sleeve inside that holds a bladder nicely.  It is small enough that you could fit it in a pocket of another bag, or use it as a stuff sack. 
Another option for your modular handle bar pocket is made by granite gear.  I run one on my handlebar setup, and it works great for maps, camera, etc...  They're available in a few sizes, and have daisy-chain on the back so they're easy to mount...
http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Granite-Gear-Armored-Pocket_10028744_10208_10000001_-1_
Can be seen here on my setup...

Topic Name: An interesting bit of kit to consider. Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 09:03:22 AM
WalksOn2Wheels

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 09:03:22 AM »

For sure I think the REI Flash 18 is a much more capable pack. But I'm more attracted to the compactness of the fox tactical bag for summer where I plan to primarily not wear a pack at all unless I really need the extra space for food and water. But for winter, I might as well stick with my Osprey Talon 22. I don't think I can fit all my winter stuff on my current on bike setup unless I buy a really nice saddle bag. The one I have now is probably slightly smaller than the current small roll top bags on the market.

Topic Name: An interesting bit of kit to consider. Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 06:40:47 PM
LiiT

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 06:40:47 PM »

I picked this up for an overflow pack.  It's black cuben fiber.  gonna put a case of beer in it this weekend and test it out on a 4-day adventure.  let ya know...

HMG STUFF PACK
The Stuff Pack is a unique addition to the HMG pack line. Easily collapsible and packable, it weighs a mere 3.2 oz. and holds 1600 cubic inches of volume. A favorite go-to day pack, one-day summit pack, or around town carry-all, this pack is a true problem solver.
The Stuff Pack’s streamlined design features lightweight shoulder straps and a roll-top closure system to keep contents secure and protected from the elements. The Stuff Pack is constructed using CF11 Cuben Fiber. As with all HMG packs, the HMG Stuff Pack is water resistant.
0.2lbs (3.2oz.)
$96.00

Topic Name: An interesting bit of kit to consider. Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 09:39:42 AM
fleetwood

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 09:39:42 AM »

I picked this up for an overflow pack.  It's black cuben fiber.  gonna put a case of beer in it this weekend and test it out on a 4-day adventure.  let ya know...

I'm curious to know how the, um, beerpacking went.

Am I all zipped up?

Topic Name: An interesting bit of kit to consider. Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 08:22:22 PM
LiiT

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 08:22:22 PM »

I'm curious to know how the, um, beerpacking went.

I wrecked!  honestly, I drank soo much the two nights previous that on the third night I only needed a coupla beers and a fourloko...I can usually stash 4 or 5 beers without having to resort to putting anything on my back...

Topic Name: An interesting bit of kit to consider. Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 09:44:38 AM
thesergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 09:44:38 AM »

I ALMOST bought the Flash 18 but there were a couple things that turned me off to it.  I ended up with the REI Stuff Travel Pack.  I had to make a few modifications but it was worth it.  One thing I did do that isn't mentioned in the review was to add a very thin plastic (from a garage sale sign) sheet into the bladder compartment to keep stuff from poking me in the back.  When I stuff it up into it's pouch I remove the plastic and slid it around my handlebar stuff sack. 

http://www.rei.com/product/809163/rei-stuff-travel-pack

was looking for a lightweight pack to take day hiking, cycling, bikepacking, around town errands, etc. I wanted something around 10oz and was looking at the REI flash 18 when I found this. I was a little skeptical to use this on any active endeavors because it lacked a waist and sternum strap to stabilize any load. Also, no hydration bladder sleeve. What I did like was the zippered top compartment, weight, ability to pack in on itself, look and mesh side pockets.

This bag would be perfect if it had the following upgrades:
1) Hydration Sleeve (for hydration bladder/ foam padding like flash 18)
2) sternum strap for support

I realize not everyone is capable of modding gear like this but if you know how to sew or know someone that can help you it's worth the effort. The materials cost around $5, which is pretty much the difference in price between this pack and the flash 18

Basically i just turned the bag inside out and measured the back panel. Then cut out a piece of 1.7 ripstop to those dimensions and sewed grosgrain around the edges. Then just sewed that piece onto the grosgrain already on the bag. Oh ya, and I added a loop of paracord at the top to hang the bladder from.

Second mod was to add a sternum strap. You'll need 1' of 1" nylon webbing and 1' of 3/4" nylon webbing, (2) sternum strap sliders and a 3/4" buckle (i used a whistle buckle). Basically just assemble it all and sew the 1" straps onto the shoulder straps. Easy and adjustable. The other option is just to sew the 3/4" straps straight onto the shoulder straps. Lighter and simpler but not adjustable.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: