Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Colorado River overnighter on: October 03, 2013, 09:33:32 PM
Eugenemtbing

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2013, 09:33:32 PM »

I posted this on MTBR, but figured I would put it here for those who don't check the other site:

A couple friends and I had backcountry permits to ride the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands.  We planned a 3-day trip will full water/food on our bikes.  But a day before the trek, Washington DC went into a tizzy and our national parks suddenly closed.

We talked with some Moab folks and settled on riding on the other side of the Colorado River, in the Lockhart Basin.  Similar views, terrain and riding surfaces (maybe more sand) as the White Rim, but very few people.

I really enjoyed the outing.  I was on my Mukluk 3, which sailed through the sandy river washes and gullies.  It was much tougher riding for my friends, who were on a Soma Analog and a Salsa El Mariachi.

I was impressed at how versatile the Mukluk was for riding on such varied surfaces -- hardpack, large rubble, sand, silt -- and how well it was suited for carrying provisions. 

The weather was warm and windy.  I slept under the stars, and my friends were in 1-man tents.

We brought all the water, food and gear we had planned to use on the White Rim, which proved to be much more than we needed on our Lockhart Basin ride.

For me, it was a good experiment in how much food and water I would need per day in a desert environment.  (I estimated the water correctly but brought way too much food.)

The sights were beautiful and the riding enjoyable (on a fat bike!).  It was a great experience.

Topic Name: Colorado River overnighter Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 07:03:33 PM
Eugenemtbing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 07:03:33 PM »

And I should say:  A big thanks to Eric at Revelate for the frame bag (bought via Modern Bike) for my Mukluk.  Fits great, holds a ton of stuff, is well designed and built.  Perfect for bikepacking.

Topic Name: Colorado River overnighter Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 09:10:03 PM
Michael_S

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 09:10:03 PM »

too bad about missing the WR trail but looks like you had a good time.  Nice setup on the Mukluk too.

Topic Name: Colorado River overnighter Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 08:27:01 PM
Eugenemtbing

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 08:27:01 PM »

Yeah, I have only had the Mukluk for a couple months, and I'm happy to have quickly figured out several options for carrying stuff -- more or less food, water and gear as the trek determines. 

This is via racks front and back, or Revelate seat bag, and/or frame bag, numerous water bottle mounts, Feed Bags, etc.  I could also put on a homemade top-tube bag, but enough is enough. 

The Mukluk strikes me as a do-it-all bike that handles most riding surfaces (from sand to buff singletrack to snow) and is superbly designed for hauling what you need.

Topic Name: Colorado River overnighter Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 01:23:01 PM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 01:23:01 PM »

Cool trip in an awesome area!
How much water did you carry per day and what were the daytime riding temps?

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: Colorado River overnighter Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 06:41:09 PM
Eugenemtbing

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 06:41:09 PM »

7 liters per day (yes, I am a drinker/sweater), and highs in the mid- to high 80s.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: