Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Fam bikepacking: Manastash Lake WA 7/7-7/8 on: July 16, 2012, 11:45:40 AM
verslowrdr

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2012, 11:45:40 AM »

[crosspost from MTBR as requested by Slim]
This area has been rendered much less popular since a freak set of thunderstorms caused severe flash flooding over Naches/Manastash/Taneum last May and washed out the main roads. So when husby sent me a very sweet txt on Friday requesting me RSVP an invitation to "The First Annual Manastash Lake Bikepacking trip", I had to say YES of course.

This also gave us a chance to test some new gear. We had ordered Revelate Viscacha seat bags, but only one was employed this time since I had the TAB off my seat post already. But we were both able to test drive the Bedrock Bags Chinle compression panel. Gotta say, the MOLLE panel on the front is sheer genius... infinite possibilities there, but in this case it was most notably used to carry our daughter's tiny little fishing pole in. Cheesy

The crux of the trip came right off the truck. This is where the creek blew out the culverts and the road. Had to bust the trail-a-bike and the BOB trailer off the bikes and carry each piece across one at a time.

Then we darted down a road to a chunky trail and began the climb. Halfway comes Lost Lake, where daddy and daughter stopped to do a little fishing. Note handlebar bag on Ol' Yeller is flipped over... that's because no matter what we did, the short front V-brake cable would clamp down on the rim if we loaded the bag on the front of the handlebar. So we flipped it over. Believe it or not, it worked all right for this short trip (although it made shifting 'interesting', but if anyone remembers gearing from '98 and knows how heavy a TAB with kid is, you'll know why I didn't bother changing it up much).

Finally got to Manastash Lake, and found the PERFECT campsite... complete with dock. !!!! This was apparently a memorial to John Bostick. Whoever you are: THANK YOU.

First fish! Brook trout, which was very good pink meat baked in the camp fire in foil.

Helping daddy fish more (which didn't get more fish).

Sunset at Manastash lake, on what might be our Best Camping Trip Evar. Smiley

Took us about 3 hours in, including stopping at Lost Lake and talking with some moto guys at Manastash Lake, and about 1.5 hours out (which included a LOT of breaks for someone who was tired of getting crotchelated back there bouncing over all the chunk).

P.S. You KNOW it's a good kid-camping-trip when they start crying in the truck that they'd rather be back up at the lake, lol.

Topic Name: Fam bikepacking: Manastash Lake WA 7/7-7/8 Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 11:30:46 PM
Cereal_Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 11:30:46 PM »

Wow, what a beautiful lake!  Looks like it was a good trip.  Start 'em young!  Sounds like a very successful trip. 
Thanks for posting.

http://strugglewithcancer.blogspot.com/

My website to journal this "adventure" with cancer.

Yeah cancer sucked, but look at this bad-ass scar!

Topic Name: Fam bikepacking: Manastash Lake WA 7/7-7/8 Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 06:07:31 AM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 06:07:31 AM »

Great trip!  Thanks for posting.

Topic Name: Fam bikepacking: Manastash Lake WA 7/7-7/8 Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 11:40:51 AM
Slim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 11:40:51 AM »

Looks great! To bad you are so far away, it would be nice to get out with another family, that keeps the kids happy and the parents too.

Topic Name: Fam bikepacking: Manastash Lake WA 7/7-7/8 Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 09:23:44 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 09:23:44 PM »

Looks great! To bad you are so far away, it would be nice to get out with another family, that keeps the kids happy and the parents too.

Agree. Unfortunately too many people only see the hard work side of it, instead of seeing the benefits to the family as a whole (geez, that reads like spam)

It takes a lot of work to get out with the family, but so worth it when you look back through the years of photos, stories and adventures - it's often the thing we talk about around the campfire, the highs and lows of many adventures shared.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Fam bikepacking: Manastash Lake WA 7/7-7/8 Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 10:27:01 PM
verslowrdr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 10:27:01 PM »

Oh yeah, it's work all right! But as you point out, the memories are awesome. The other thing is that this is our lifestyle and I'd like her to see such adventures as normal.

One Saturday a month or so ago we sort of accidentally ended up doing 40 miles of road and rail trails with her on the TAB. When we pulled in to the driveway we told her most adults haven't done 40 miles on a bike in a day, so she could be very proud of herself. Bikes are fun, they keep you healthy, and they are very good transportation... That may be a valuable lesson for kids facing a future where health, wealth, and petroleum look increasingly limited.

Topic Name: Fam bikepacking: Manastash Lake WA 7/7-7/8 Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 12:50:39 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 12:50:39 AM »

Yeah, I'm hearing your bark, dog. I think if you can ease them into it from an early age, it just becomes accepted as normal for them - they take it in their stride. Kids are fascinated with the outdoors, and they don't need to be 1000 miles from home to feel like they're in the wilderness. Pass down that knowledge of 'don't touch that, you can eat this, use that to start a fire, and don't throw stones at that big, brown, hairy rock over there' Smiley

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: