Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise on: February 07, 2010, 02:05:41 AM
Outsider

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2010, 02:05:41 AM »

It was time for the first real test ride of the Fargo packed with overnight gear.

Test packing. This is almost full winter gear, including a stove to melt water. Since it was not that cold, about -6°C (~20°F) I left the Ridgerest sleeping pad at home. With the Ridgerest, the set should be good for down to about -23°C (-°10F), which almost always is enough for where I live.

I left at 21:00 after having put the children to bed, heading for an island just out of the city. It took about 50 minutes of riding to get to the other side of the city.

Then I arrived at the Forbidden Forest (bikes no longer allowed), which was only partly rideable.

View back to the city.

Rideable trail.

After 2 hours of riding, I found a sheltered spot 20 meters from the sea.

The mailman brought some suitable evening reading just in time for this trip.

I slept surprisingly well and was awakened by the first of the ferries from Sweden at 6:30. After drinking my morning coffee and eating porridge, I got up to see the second ferry arrive.

Another view of my camping spot.

A single short Thermarest Prolite 4 is not really enough, as can be seen from this picture, but the sleeping bag was warm enough to compensate for that.

On the move again at 7:30.

A view to the sea before turning back home.

Bicycle road.

The harbour.

Going back to the other side of the city. I got home at 9:30 after 2 hours of riding.

This is what the Fargo has been made for and it works like a dream.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 06:01:16 AM by Outsider » Logged

My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 03:57:29 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 03:57:29 AM »

Nice pics, but all I can say is burr!

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:20:17 AM
fat bob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:20:17 AM »

Peter,

Great write up, and excellent documentation of your trip. I concur with AZT... "Brrrrr"!!! Seems like a Pugsly or Fatback might be a good addition to your stable with all the white stuff in your photo's.

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 05:32:32 AM
Outsider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 05:32:32 AM »

Thanks. This year at fat bike would make sense, and a riding buddy of mine actually bought one. It has been unusually cold this winter (coldest since 2003), without any warmer weather compacting the snow. Usually we have a wide network of hard (sometimes icy) trails during the winter, but not now.

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 09:49:48 PM
paxton coyote

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 09:49:48 PM »

looks like a great time, I hope to be doing a shakedown ride on a Fargo by fall, have a frame/fork on the way, my daughter is going on a foreign exchange program later this year & Finland is one of the possiblities she could go to.

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 08:39:25 AM
DaveC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 08:39:25 AM »

Awesome pictures!

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 02:09:01 PM
fargoman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 02:09:01 PM »

Thanks for the post, Peter.  What brand/model handlebars are on your Fargo?

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 11:20:38 AM
Outsider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 11:20:38 AM »

The handlebar is a On-One Midge. It is a great handlebar with one flaw: The drop portion is too short for me, at least with thicker winter gloves. It would probably be ok for someone with smaller hands, but I have a Salsa Woodchipper ordered through my friendly LBS. The Woodchipper should be a good replacement for the Midge.

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 12:02:39 PM
fargoman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 12:02:39 PM »

I appreciate the feedback.  I've also been considering a Woodchipper bar.

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 08:40:48 PM
efuentes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 08:40:48 PM »

This Costeñito (Little tropical coast dweller) just can't believe somebody can sleep on the snow, gotta try it some time.

Nice writeup and pictures.

For info on Mexico's Copper Canyon http://coppercanyongate.blogspot.com

Carpe Diem, Fellow bikers

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 02:54:43 AM
intheways

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 02:54:43 AM »

Nice write up.  I'm curious about your sleeping arrangement (bag, bivy, etc.).  I've got a Prolite Plus for admittedly milder conditions.

Thanks

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 08:15:03 AM
Outsider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 08:15:03 AM »

For winter use I have a fairly cheap Marmot Never Summer sleeping bag rated to -37/-17/-9°C according to the European EN13537 standard. The bivy bag is a simple Alpkit Hunka XL, inside which I have the sleeping bag and the Prolite 4 short (120 cm) sleeping pad. This is good to maybe around -10°C (15°F), after which another full length sleeping pad is needed. One of the pictures shows how the inadequate isolation of a this single short sleeping pad caused the snow underneath to melt. The sleeping pad is as important as the sleeping bag during the winter. A combination of one short sleeping pad and one long is works well. With a full length RidgeRest under the bivy bag (in addition to the short pad inside) I've been very warm and comfortable in -20°C (-4°F). I have not tried it in in any colder temperatures, but I think it should be comfortable down to maybe -10°F. There is no need for a tent in the forest terrain where I usually am. If it is really cold or snows a larger spruce provides some extra shelter.

During the summer everything is simpler, except maybe for the worst mosquito period.

Edit: Celsius and Fahrenheit mess...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:57:46 AM by Outsider » Logged

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 09:55:18 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 09:55:18 AM »

Excellent post, nice looking kit and a heck of a shakedown ride!  Thanks for sharing.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 04:20:53 PM
Black Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 04:20:53 PM »

Awesome pics, looks beautiful there.  headbang

We're currently slammed with our second monster snow storm in 4 days here in SE Pennsylvania, somehow it dosen't seem
as inviting here. icon_scratch

Truly a wealth of useless information.

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 05:37:45 PM
fat bob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 05:37:45 PM »

Awesome pics, looks beautiful there.  headbang

We're currently slammed with our second monster snow storm in 4 days here in SE Pennsylvania, somehow it dosen't seem
as inviting here. icon_scratch

So when can we see your first Fargo outing sir?

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 07:59:09 PM
Black Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 07:59:09 PM »

So when can we see your first Fargo outing sir?

BangHead Well, it's like this... it's been something of an odyssey building this bike. I've been swamped at work and since I needed to have my LBS swap over the headset from the Inbred anyway, I decided to just have my them put it together for me. They're apparently not real experienced working with a somewhat ecclectic parts mix and, I also found out they had never seen
a Fargo before. The mechanic assembling the bike about crapped himself when Salsa told him he'd need to bend the fork's brake mounts to get them to clear the rotor(a problem almost every Fargo has had) I had to offer to come in and put a pair of pliers to it myself before he agreed to do it. Then he wasn't comfortable installing a triple FD with a double ring set-up, so we went round over that. He also told me my XT FD was "worn out" I think I used it all of 6 months, but it's about 10 years old and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. After that, he found my 185mm rear brake wouldn't fit so he needed to order a 160. It's been almost 3 weeks at this point and I'm keeping my fingers crossed there are no more problems. Every time I've spoken to this guy, I remind him NOT to cut the steerer until he's called me to come in and check my bar height, I have this sick feeling he's going to cut it too short  angry4 and then I'll need to wait until he gets me a new fork (at his cost)

Aren't you sorry you asked, Bob?  icon_scratch

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 06:09:36 AM
fat bob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 06:09:36 AM »

BangHead Well, it's like this... it's been something of an odyssey building this bike. I've been swamped at work and since I needed to have my LBS swap over the headset from the Inbred anyway, I decided to just have my them put it together for me. They're apparently not real experienced working with a somewhat ecclectic parts mix and, I also found out they had never seen
a Fargo before. The mechanic assembling the bike about crapped himself when Salsa told him he'd need to bend the fork's brake mounts to get them to clear the rotor(a problem almost every Fargo has had) I had to offer to come in and put a pair of pliers to it myself before he agreed to do it. Then he wasn't comfortable installing a triple FD with a double ring set-up, so we went round over that. He also told me my XT FD was "worn out" I think I used it all of 6 months, but it's about 10 years old and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. After that, he found my 185mm rear brake wouldn't fit so he needed to order a 160. It's been almost 3 weeks at this point and I'm keeping my fingers crossed there are no more problems. Every time I've spoken to this guy, I remind him NOT to cut the steerer until he's called me to come in and check my bar height, I have this sick feeling he's going to cut it too short  angry4 and then I'll need to wait until he gets me a new fork (at his cost)

Aren't you sorry you asked, Bob?  icon_scratch

Wow, quite an adventure in assembly. Hope all the bad ju-ju is worked out in the shop rather than the trail. Didn't know about the brake issue on the Fargo, good to know. I'll keep fingers crossed that the wrench @ the shop doesn't cut your steer, funny I asked Mike @ Universal to leave the steer on my El Mariachi alone, he assured me that it would be very long... 30mm is what they cut it down to... I could/should have bitched and insisted that they send me a new one un-cut so I could run the Woodchippers, but I guess I'll just run a silly riser stem and just deal. Hope you're dug out of the snow soon and on trail sooner!

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 07:20:16 AM
Black Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 07:20:16 AM »

Wow, quite an adventure in assembly. Hope all the bad ju-ju is worked out in the shop rather than the trail. Didn't know about the brake issue on the Fargo, good to know. I'll keep fingers crossed that the wrench @ the shop doesn't cut your steer, funny I asked Mike @ Universal to leave the steer on my El Mariachi alone, he assured me that it would be very long... 30mm is what they cut it down to... I could/should have bitched and insisted that they send me a new one un-cut so I could run the Woodchippers, but I guess I'll just run a silly riser stem and just deal. Hope you're dug out of the snow soon and on trail sooner!

Guitar Ted and others have said they were able to use 185s on the rear but they're all riding Large frames so that may have some bearing on it. I'm concerned if he cuts the steerer too short, the high rise Salsa stem I'm already using may not be tall enough. All this aggravation because I've been too cheap all these years to buy a headset press.  crybaby2

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 05:14:29 PM
richNYC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 05:14:29 PM »

Peter,

Nice write-up;) Question: What kind of crank set are you using on your Fargo??? I want to go double too. I'm trying to decide in the next few weeks. I'm looking for something like 36/26 or 38/24...

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: “WOW!!! What a ride!” -- Dean Karnazes

Topic Name: Fargo Shakedown Cruise Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 09:43:27 PM
Outsider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 09:43:27 PM »

Rich,

I haven't really decided which crank to use yet. The one I have now, an Xt 22/32/bash ring, was borrowed from my 29 FS bike, which currently waits for a new warranty frame. I couldn't get one of the chain ring bolts open, otherwise I might have put a big ring on. That said, the gearing is not really too low now during the winter, but during the summer it might be. I do think that a double with something like your suggestion (24-26/36-38) would be ideal. My intention is to use fairly big rubber (Racing Ralph 2.25) during the summer so I don't think the gearing will be too low with a 36 or 38 max at the front, at least not for my riding.

Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: