Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: GPS choice. on: January 23, 2013, 04:39:29 PM
Veetack

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2013, 04:39:29 PM »

Forgive me if there's a thread on this, I looked to no avail. I'm absolutely brand new to the sport, and I'm really trying to focus on Ultra racing. However, I'm putting this thread here because I think it applies in all facets of bikepacking.
I'm wondering what the best GPS unit is for this. I have my eyes on the Garmin Edge 800, but I'm open to other ideas, especially if they cost less. The criteria I'm looking for are as follows:
1)price
2)user friendly design
3)battery life
4)durability

Just figured we could get a little discussion going about it.

May your mileage always be higher than your post count.

blog: veloadventurer.blogspot.com

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 05:25:41 PM
MattL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 05:25:41 PM »

I think the Dakota 20 is a far better fit and value for bikepacking and general outdoor use. AA batteries, I use NiMH for daily use, buy more AAs in any gas station on long trips, use lithium AAs when every gram counts.

The main loss is power data, but I use a powertap joule for that and merge GPS data in TopoFusion.

I finished the 2013 TD.  I did the whole damn thing,
excluding the 2013 detours, in good style and—as
far as I know—totally in accordance with the rules.

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 05:27:39 PM
caseygreene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 05:27:39 PM »

With the 800, you'll have to find a way to charge it after the internal battery dies. Which can be done, but it'll be a pain.

Factoring in weight, durability, battery life, usability, and price, the Garmin Dakota 20 still has my vote. Although, the etrex series and new Oregon Series would also be great choices.

Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 06:56:15 PM
Veetack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »

The Dakota only allows 1000 waypoints. How does that work with some of these gpx files for long routes that have upwards of 10k?

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 01:35:02 AM
RossC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 01:35:02 AM »

The Dakota only allows 1000 waypoints. How does that work with some of these gpx files for long routes that have upwards of 10k?

I'd recommend the new etrex. It will do 10,000 waypoints per file. Same AA battery setup as the dakota. I'm running the 20 and it does everything I could possibly need.

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 05:24:30 AM
kikoraa

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 05:24:30 AM »

I'm interested in this also. Not for backpacking but for general mileage/maps.

My main thing is price. Doesn't have to be fancy. Just miles and maps. What's a decent budget gps?

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 10:13:24 AM
MattL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 10:13:24 AM »

The Dakota 20 stores 1,000 waypoints separately from the tracks.  Tracks may contain up to 10k waypoints.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=30926 click on specs

I finished the 2013 TD.  I did the whole damn thing,
excluding the 2013 detours, in good style and—as
far as I know—totally in accordance with the rules.

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 03:22:49 PM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 03:22:49 PM »

It seems like some are confused over terminology here.  There's trackpoints and waypoints.  2 different things.  

When you look at the specs for a gps you can find out how many waypoints the gps can store.  Additionally you can find out how many total tracks the gps can hold and how many trackpoints each track can contain.  

If I remember correctly my etrex can hold 20 tracks of 10000 trackpoints each.  If I want to load a track longer than 10000 trackpoints, such as the GDR, I simply (with topofusion) split the track up into multiple tracks each having less than 10000 trackpoints.

You could also add waypoints to the track, these might be water locations, a good spot to camp etc.  That wouldn't change the number of trackpoints in the track.  Waypoints and trackpoints are different even though they both represent an exact physical location on the ground.   
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:31:35 PM by aaron w » Logged

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 04:14:45 PM
Veetack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 04:14:45 PM »

That's really helpful, because honestly I'm one of the confused ones. Makes much more sense now.

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 02:46:21 PM
AnatolyG

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 02:46:21 PM »

Forgive me if there's a thread on this, I looked to no avail. I'm absolutely brand new to the sport, and I'm really trying to focus on Ultra racing. However, I'm putting this thread here because I think it applies in all facets of bikepacking.
I'm wondering what the best GPS unit is for this. I have my eyes on the Garmin Edge 800, but I'm open to other ideas, especially if they cost less. The criteria I'm looking for are as follows:
1)price
2)user friendly design
3)battery life
4)durability

Just figured we could get a little discussion going about it.

I've got a Dakota 20, and it's great! I've biked with it mounted on my stem over very rough terrain, and it stays put very well. additionally, it's absolutely essential that it had replaceable batteries. With an older garmin 305 that has built-in batteries, I'd often lose power in the middle/end of a ride. With the Dakota I can ride around with an extra set of high-powered AA (2), which gives me something like 16-20 hours of power! The screen is pretty good on it as well, it's compact enough to carry anywhere, and the touch screen doesn't suck (it's not as good as an iPhone, but better than many other digitizers). I loaded mine w/ Garmin's 24k maps and free AZ topo maps from gpsdepot, and both are great (I wouldn't even shell out for the 24k maps had I known before re: free topos).

I load up my waypoints (trailheads, turn arounds, etc) via Garmin's Basecamp software for the Mac, and then put in routes that I create either in Google Earth of Basecamp.

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 11:05:45 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 11:05:45 AM »

The new eTrex series (10/20/30) is pretty much the gold standard for bikepacking. The eTrex 20 is reasonably priced, lasts a LONG time on batteries (disposable or rechargeable AAs), is very easy to operate (even with full-finger gloves), is easy to see in all conditions, and seems more durable than older models. For a few more bucks, the eTrex 30 adds a HRM monitor interface. I just repaired my old eTrex Vista HCx (yes, it's possible to permanently fix the vibration-of-death issues with a soldering iron!), but I'd move up to a eTrex 30 if I needed a new one.

"Done"

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 11:58:31 PM
Mark_BC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 11:58:31 PM »

I am wondering, how well can you make an iPhone work as your GPS? I think soon the dedicated GPS companies will go out of business because phones will take over all those functions.

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 07:45:55 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 07:45:55 AM »

I am wondering, how well can you make an iPhone work as your GPS? I think soon the dedicated GPS companies will go out of business because phones will take over all those functions.
Smartphones can be used, but they have a few of real limitations:
1. Batter life is terrible. On long rides, smartphones just don't have enough juice. I use a Garmin eTrex with either rechargeable or disposable batteries, depending on the ride--and it lasts 24+ hours either way.
2. iPhones aren't waterproof. You could, of course, get a waterproof case--but then it would be harder to operate the buttons, etc.
3. Durability could be an issue. My Garmin GPS is built like a tank, and I don't worry too much about it when I crash. But an iPhone? Hmmm....

I carry my phone as a backup, but I don't think that it's much a threat to my Garmin. That might change if phones get tougher and last longer on a charge.

"Done"

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 07:51:52 AM
vikb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 07:51:52 AM »

Thanks for the GPS info. I can't seem to kill my Garmin Etrex Vista Cx. Just keeps on going and going. Sounds like the new Garnin Etrex GPS units will be the logical replacement once it finally stops working.

I'll echo the short battery life on the iPhone. I carry mine with me to send in updates to my GF and to make emergency calls if I have coverage. I leave it off unless I am making a call.

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 07:56:45 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 07:56:45 AM »

Thanks for the GPS info. I can't seem to kill my Garmin Etrex Vista Cx. Just keeps on going and going. Sounds like the new Garnin Etrex GPS units will be the logical replacement once it finally stops working.
Many older eTrex units seem to die after a bit. The problem is that the battery contacts inside the case (where they make contact with the system board) wear holes in the thin gold foil contacts on the board. The first symptom is random shutdowns, which increase in frequency to the point where it won't turn on anymore. The solution is to open the case, solder in some jumper wires, and then reseal the case. Worked for me!

Edit: By "older eTrex unit," I mean the older Vista, HCx, HC, H, etc. models. Not the newer 10/20/30 models. Garmin seems to have fixed the problem with the re-design.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 09:30:11 AM by TobyGadd » Logged

"Done"

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 08:05:19 AM
vikb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 08:05:19 AM »

Many older eTrex units seem to die after a bit. The problem is that the battery contacts inside the case (where they make contact with the system board) wear holes in the thin gold foil contacts on the board. The first symptom is random shutdowns, which increase in frequency to the point where it won't turn on anymore. The solution is to open the case, solder in some jumper wires, and then reseal the case. Worked for me!

I've had a few random shutdowns, but only in my truck while driving. Surprisingly on the bike [which can be quite a rough ride] that GPS has been solid.

My buddy is handy with fixing electronics so I will talk to him about fixing it when it stops working reliably.

I'd like something with a bigger/brighter screen and the ability to navigate routes with lots of waypoints [my current unit gives up after 50] so I may use the repair downtime as an excuse to get a new one and then save the old Garmin for use in my truck.

However, as long as it keeps working on the bike I'll stick with what I have. Gives me an excuse to ride so I can wear it out... headbang

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 11:01:44 PM
Newfydog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 11:01:44 PM »

I use a Dakota 20 with a handlebar mount. Waterproof, bombproof, AA batteries with long life.  I never use waypoints, just tracks from an internet download, or a route I clicked out on Google Earth.

Basemap is from GPsfiledepot or a questionably legal Garmin sd card.  I'd buy them honestly if the Garmin maps actually worked.

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 08:55:33 AM
kkjellquist

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 08:55:33 AM »

No way.  TobyGadd nailed it.....battery life, durability, and replacment cost.  My iPhone is fragile and could be up to $600 to replace.  I would NEVER put it on my handlebars even with a case. 

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 06:54:26 AM
JEF

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 06:54:26 AM »

I have an Garmin Oregon 450.  It was $200 from REI after sale/rebate.  Seems easy to use and takes AA's.  The screen is easy to read and it's been beaten around and works fine.  It's the only GPS of this type that I have ever used, so I can't really compare.

Topic Name: GPS choice. Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 10:37:58 PM
kikoraa

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 10:37:58 PM »

Seems like most people are liking the Dakota 20 or Oregon 450 both by garmin.

I'm also looking for one and have no idea what I'm looking for
:/

Basically just want to log my rides and see a map. Both the Dakota and Oregon have on screen maps but that's not that big of a deal to me since I'm not using it for exploration.

Any others that are basically cyclometers but the ability to see a map once its plugged into your PC?
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: