Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Just wing it on: October 31, 2013, 10:42:23 AM
nick

www.epiccyclist.com

View Profile WWW
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:42:23 AM »

from my blog
http://www.epiccyclist.com/2013/10/just-wing-it.html

I'm jonesing. It's October and I can feel the shitty weather coming (until ski season starts anyway). Working at the university of BC, September/October is a crazy time of year. What was once a tranquil summer time campus is now a hectic bustling bee hive. I need to get out; I'll do virtually anything - before I go insane.

It's a last minute thing. I have no real plans or destination. All I have is a bit of time on this particular weekend (although I have to be back for a dinner party that Sunday night). So I grab my bike, pack up my gear and leave early morning.

It's foggy and cold but I feel good. There are hardly any cars on the road as I quietly pedal to the ferries. The fog is surprisingly welcoming; it muffles all sounds. All I hear is the chain driving my gears and my tires whistling on the road.

On the other side, looking at my map, I'm still not sure where to go. I see a few roads that intrigue me; hmm... I wonder what's there? Pedaling slowly, following this road, my mind goes blank. Almost in a coma, legs spinning, I feel strangely absent. It kind of freaked me out once I got out of it, I wasn't to sure where I was anymore, so I had to take my map out. Luckily I was on the road, so it was easy to locate myself. If I had done that in the back country it could have been bad news. Turns out I rode 20 kms and never realized it. Wow, that was intense.

Now that I'm back on earth, I keep going. It's nice not having a preset route, you just wander, with no particular idea where to go. I'm looking around me but there's so much fog I can hardly see anything. I could be anywhere. My mind starts drifting again pretending I'm somewhere else in a far distant land. I feel kind of silly and juvenile thinking about it now but it was kind of fun drifting away like that.

I get to a small village and stop there to eat lunch and buy some provisions for the evening. It's there where I talk to a few people and ask them if there's a good place to set up camp for the night. After a few suggestions, I decide to go nearby to a small lake 15 kms away.

Around 45 minutes later I arrive at the lake. It's a beautiful ride on a gravel road covered with leaves. Once at the camp ground (which is closed for the season) I ride a bit around the lake trails to see if I can find a more secluded spot to set up camp. Unfortunately I find nothing, but the trails are fun and flowy with nice views of the lake. I spot some fish - next time I'm bringing my fly rod.

Back at the camp ground I set up my tent quickly, as it's getting late. I prepare supper and hit the sleeping bag early while reading the latest issue of Bike Mag. Next morning, I pack up my wet tent early for the ride back home. I'm craving a big breakfast, so I stop for bacon and eggs. I still have a bit of time, I'm riding much faster than yesterday . I'm so hungry, as soon as the waitress puts the plate down, and even though I was telling myself to take a picture for the blog, I'm already in it. That was GOOD!

I'm happy I did this. Some of you may remember a post I did a few weeks back called Wake up. That clip kind of shook me up a little bit and it's pretty much what happened to me on this trip; one of the reasons I wanted to do it (well sort of). It wasn't all that exciting. Actually, it was kind of pointless, which was the point. Doing something just to do something. I like that. I came to the realization that I should stop pondering about what to do so much, where to go and most importantly I should stop talking about it. I should wing it like that more often. What's the worst that can happen? I may regret it sometimes I guess, but at the very least, I'll remember and that's a good thing.

Topic Name: Just wing it Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 06:28:01 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 06:28:01 PM »

Looks like we're settled into the wet stuff now. Nice to get out at this time of year though, good on you. Where'd you go, Sunshine coast?

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Just wing it Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:50:32 PM
stumpyfsr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:50:32 PM »

Great you did this overnighter. I like the pictures and the story. It's much easier to do something unplanned, when you just going forward and stopping whenever you want and enjoy the trip itself

Topic Name: Just wing it Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 03:07:16 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 03:07:16 AM »

Mouth is watering at that brekky!

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Just wing it Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 07:49:04 AM
nick

www.epiccyclist.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 07:49:04 AM »

Yep, sunshine coast, it's the best place for this kind of trip around Vancouver I think. You don't need a car and it's not to far. So much to explore, next year I'm going to explore more forestry roads trails etc... I'v done a few small bikepacking trips already but I'm still not that knowledgeable about the area. Want to link Langdale to earl's cove via trails/forestry roads maybe go as far as Powell river, that could be a lot of fun. I getting obsessed with Google earth it's getting bad!

Topic Name: Just wing it Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 10:38:46 AM
Singlecell

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 10:38:46 AM »

Great post man. Very motivational to get out and do the same thing.

Topic Name: Just wing it Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 03:44:40 PM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 03:44:40 PM »

What a fun read and sound philosophy. I watched some TED talk about goals and the likelihood of fulfilling them. Apparently, the more you tell people about your goals, the less likely you are to actually attain them. Given that, "I should stop pondering about what to do so much, where to go and most importantly I should stop talking about it. I should wing it..." sounds like a pretty sound philosophy! I keep my bikepacking kit more or less permanently packed and ready to go so I don't spend so much time gathering my stuff. Some stuff I have to use in my daily life, but a lot of it sits on a special shelf waiting for the inspiration to strike.

Ride on!

Topic Name: Just wing it Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 06:00:47 PM
nick

www.epiccyclist.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 06:00:47 PM »

for those that never seen this video it's worth the watch

The Real You - Alan Watts

Topic Name: Just wing it Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 08:09:29 PM
Bjorn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 08:09:29 PM »

nick- I really enjoyed your post. The only point I would disagree with is when you you say you shouldn't talk about it. Simple overnighters are, for me, often the best remedy for stress relief and rebooting, so to speak, perspectives. Your post, I believe, is just the thing some of us need to read. To be reminded how easy and important it is to take a reprieve, jump on the bike and let it lead us to a new perspective and outlook. Again, great post.

-Bjørn 

Topic Name: Just wing it Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 06:29:02 PM
nick

www.epiccyclist.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 06:29:02 PM »

Thanks for that, means a lot coming from guys like you.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: