Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Nature Hike Tents? Are they the poor mans Big Agnes? on: July 20, 2020, 09:30:02 PM
TailLights

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2020, 09:30:02 PM »

I have a 6 lb 2 person Mountain Hardwear tent, so I can use that, but really want to get down to something a lot lighter. I'll probably grab some sort of front harness to attach it to my bars for any trips I get done this summer.

I've previously had a MSR carbon reflex 1 that I sold, and a Hubba that I also sold about 8 years ago. Now I'm getting into bikepacking, I'm wanting a light weight tent again.

What's got me interested, is these Nature Hike Cloud 2 Up tents. They're light(ish) and look like knockoffs of Big Agnes tents. I get it that if I was off for a month long trip, or a three month long trip, the Big Agnes build quality and warranty would pay for themselves, however I expect to just get a few nights a year in, so want something that will be okay, but doesnt need to survive a round the world expedition.

I can find some reviews of the NH, but mostly they're from people who've not actually used them much.

Has anyone purchased and used a NH Cloud Up tent for bike packing?  How'd it work out? Waterproof? Windproof? Would you buy again, or should I just sell a kidney and get the BA tent?

I know I could do tarp tent etc, but I would like free standing, and enough room for me and some gear.

A backup plan, is a bivy sack and tarp, but then I probably need poles and I'm basically at the Cloud 2 Up weight anyway, but with a more complex solution.

Target use area is the norther Sierra Nevada mountains, around Truckee.

Thanks

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000529887600.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.7d0b2fac3QiQHn&algo_pvid=3e63d00b-fa94-4d00-a4b4-9baa42b0c97a&algo_expid=3e63d00b-fa94-4d00-a4b4-9baa42b0c97a-0&btsid=0ab6f83a15953047959857687e21c5&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Topic Name: Nature Hike Tents? Are they the poor mans Big Agnes? Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 11:42:16 AM
Peruvian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 11:42:16 AM »

I bought a CloudUp 1 and have been out on only a few nights.  So far, so good.  I haven't had to use several pegs and some of the guy lines, so the carry weight is quite low - Just over 3lbs. I paid $100 shipped so it certainly is worth the money so far.

Topic Name: Nature Hike Tents? Are they the poor mans Big Agnes? Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 07:33:02 PM
TailLights

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 07:33:02 PM »

I think I'll jump on the 2 person one. I just can't justify something more expensive.

And thinking about this setup for ultra light good weather.

Topic Name: Nature Hike Tents? Are they the poor mans Big Agnes? Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 12:53:13 AM
pathfinder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 12:53:13 AM »

Had a cloud 2 for quite a while and found it pretty good. Since I had it the tent has been updated so may be better but I found it roomy and water proof. The issue may come from strong winds though as the outside layer (waterproof sheet) does not attach to the poles and just clips into the lower part of the tent and pegs. I have been out in winds of about 30mph and although held up the outer layer was moving a lot and felt if winds where much stronger it would fail.

Topic Name: Nature Hike Tents? Are they the poor mans Big Agnes? Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 01:57:00 PM
Peruvian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 01:57:00 PM »

I like my Cloud Up 1 well enough.  It was $100, easy to set up, and it's held up on several trips so far.  No real nasty weather, so I can't tell you if it will shelter you in a true gale.

If I was planning an extended tour where it was my house for a month or more, I'm not sure it would be my first choice.  But for a long weekend when I can choose the weather window, it's worth the money.

Topic Name: Nature Hike Tents? Are they the poor mans Big Agnes? Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 04:53:07 PM
TailLights

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 04:53:07 PM »

I haven't had a chance to order one yet, but did grab a used original MSR Hubba for cheap. It needs re-seam sealing, but apparently was still waterproof last time it was used.

I'll grab a CloudUp3 next, and sell some older tents (not so much to get much money, but to just not have more tents than I'll need).

What pushed me into the MSR, was 1) it just came up at the right price, and 2) I do have a special place in my heart for used gear and minimizing my carbon foot print. (I have built my bikepacking bike out of almost all used parts too). I'm trying to find time to pick up some more used things this week that also need some TLC, rather than buying new.

It does seem with NatureHike Cloud Ups and the Lanshan tents (which use trekking poles), we are in a time of ultralight shelters for really reasonable money. Totally, if you're doing a major trip that's costing thousands, you should "invest" in Big Agnes, but for the couple of 1-2 night trips a year, the Aliexpress Lanshan/NatureHikes seem so ideal.

Once I get the Cloud Up3, I'll make sure to post a detailed review to help out others.

Thanks.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: