Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Pannier weight distribution on: June 10, 2013, 07:46:35 PM
hikerjer

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2013, 07:46:35 PM »

I have a set of both front and back Ortlieb panniers and a handlebar bag.  In all probability, I could get all my touring gear in the back panniers and the front handlebar bag.  However, conventional wisdom, as I understand it, recommends distributing the weight between front and rear paniers with the heavier items in the front panniers. The reasoning seems to be that you'll have enough weight over the back wheel what with the rider himself, the panniers and whatever you strap on your rear rack. The problem being, of couse, in that case you could over stress your back wheel and be much more prone to flats and broken spokes on the rear wheel. Any comments?  Should I just go with the handlebar bag and rear panniers?  Or should I take the front panniers even if I don't need them and distribute the weight more evenly between front and back?  BTW, total weight of all my gear minus water, would be about 36-38  lbs.  I weight 170 lbs myself.

Thanks much for you comments and advice.

Topic Name: Pannier weight distribution Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 05:15:25 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 05:15:25 AM »

How about dropping the rear panniers? I met a guy on a road tour using just a large bag on the bars. He was using the same logic about the rider weight on the rear wheel and just put it all on the front. You obviously have a bit more then he did for a weekend run.

Assuming your talking a mostly road or at least non technical trail ride here.

Oh and I meant to add, you'll still have the rear rack for what ever you put on top of it.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:56:51 AM by AZTtripper » Logged

Topic Name: Pannier weight distribution Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 02:24:46 PM
juanesunpescado

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 02:24:46 PM »

I don't mind a heavily weighted front on hard packed surfaces. On gravel or dirt it starts to get squirelly. If you have anything other than pavement on your route I would recommend a balanced load.

Not sure that I buy the premise that the riders weight is primarily on the back wheel. I suppose you could put scales under both wheels to find out. I would be surprised if the split was greater than 60/40.

Though as a guy on another forum says: "thought experiments, while interesting, are seldom helpful". So maybe load the bike up a couple ways and try it.

Topic Name: Pannier weight distribution Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 08:00:45 AM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 08:00:45 AM »

Is this THE hikerjer?  From BP.com?

-JRA (aka: hbfa)

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: Pannier weight distribution Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 11:16:03 AM
hikerjer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 11:16:03 AM »

That would be me. I see my reputation proceeds me.  Don't know it that's good or bad. Wink

Topic Name: Pannier weight distribution Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 11:30:37 AM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 11:30:37 AM »

I've seen a couple of familiar names from there, here.

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: Pannier weight distribution Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 04:12:37 PM
hikerjer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 04:12:37 PM »

Like wise.

Topic Name: Pannier weight distribution Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 05:14:20 PM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 05:14:20 PM »

I think weight distribution is somewhat subjective:

I run the panniers up front with sleeping bag, pad and tarp tent on rear rack (shown on the left).  Another guy runs rear panniers with sleeping bag on the bars... and we've got a whacko in the group with frame and seat bags and a handlebar sling.   icon_biggrin

I'm not a good technical rider... the guy who runs the rear panniers is a expert rider and likes his setup.... he cleans obstacles with that rig that I could never clean, regardless of load or any other variable you could come up with.

I like front panniers  because they damp down the bounciness of riding a rigid fork and that the bike is more balanced for portaging.

I don't think any of us are concerned about over stressing wheels.... I run cheap wheelsets (<$150) and can't attribute any wheel issues to additional weight of touring.

Topic Name: Pannier weight distribution Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 07:46:11 PM
Arctos

30+ years bikepacking

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 07:46:11 PM »

After trying most every pannier setup I long ago (mid 1980's) settled on high mounted front panniers only and a 35Liter dry bag on top of the rear rack.
This approach has many advantages on and off pavement. The limited capacity forces me to limit gear to real essentials. The 60/40 weight distribution limits rear wheel damage in my experience because I can unweight the saddle and let the rear wheel  easily ride over potholes and obstacles instead of bashing into them. After riding the Divide Ride on my rigid bike I did not even have to re-true the rear wheel even though I am a Clydesdale by category.
I have been very happy with this method for a long time although I have been dabbling lately with pure bikepacking approaches without panniers. One tour for a week was not enough to make me a complete convert yet. I will be practicing more come late June.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: