Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Rain Jacket Recommendations on: June 01, 2021, 08:47:44 AM
trailrunners

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2021, 08:47:44 AM »

Looking for the best rain jacket for bikepacking and perhaps one that can also be used for hiking and trail running.  Does anyone have any recommendations of a jacket that works well for you?  I know most cycling rain jackets don't have hoods, but would like one with a hood or hood that can be zipped into the collar so it could be a more versatile jacket for other activities as well.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! 

Topic Name: Rain Jacket Recommendations Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 08:07:00 PM
jsimoni

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 08:07:00 PM »

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/clothing-mens/rain-jacket/marmot-precip

Great jacket, pretty cheap too

Topic Name: Rain Jacket Recommendations Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 08:03:09 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 08:03:09 PM »

Hood size and back length are key. I took my helmet to a shop, wore it and reached forward in a riding position to see what fit best. Surprisingly, the Shower Pass (bike specific) was short on sleeves and a little boxy in the torso. After a few other misfires the Patagonia Torrentshell came up on top based on fit and details like generous pit zips. Just light showers in it so far but a solid bit of kit.

Marmot Precip has been good. I like the pants for full-zip.

Topic Name: Rain Jacket Recommendations Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 10:16:03 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 10:16:03 PM »

I've had a Marmot precip the last few years.  It doesn't see very much rain but the last times it did, there seemed to be water seeping through the shoulder/back area and arms.  No deterioration of the membrane was visible.  It's probably still good enough for brief showers but I picked up an REI XeroDry gore tex jacket recently for high elevation trips.  Put them on the scale, it's 11.7oz whereas the Precip is 11oz.  I checked out a Helium jacket as well and it was light at around 6.7oz but didn't seem like it would keep water out as well as the gore-tex so I returned it. 
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: