Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: wanted: used garmin vista or similar on: September 07, 2011, 12:00:16 PM
mmeiser

Less Stuff. More Freedom!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2011, 12:00:16 PM »

Was wondering if and person or organization has rented garmin gps. Baring that I'd be interested in buying used.

I thought I read something about spot devices, but not garmin. I ask because I'm planning on doing the divide this October and though it would be hugely beneficial to have the main and alternate routes on a gps I really don't think i'll be using it for much else. I figure many might be in the same boat having ridden it earlier this year or perhaps wanting to upgrade.

Topic Name: wanted: used garmin vista or similar Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 07:07:27 AM
Dumpster Juice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 07:07:27 AM »

You can rent a GPS at Takeahikegps.com they have different types to rent. Take a look and see what you think...

The older I get, the better I was...

Topic Name: wanted: used garmin vista or similar Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 07:13:28 AM
Dumpster Juice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 07:13:28 AM »

They also sell used GPS units...

Topic Name: wanted: used garmin vista or similar Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 10:04:16 AM
mmeiser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 10:04:16 AM »

Takeahikegps.com seems to have pretty good rental rates, not so good used rates (at least on the Garmin Vista). I also found I have a source for getting one cheap on clearance.

BTW... anyone have any experience with these?  I heard this is the GPS to get. My primary goal is to get the route from trackleaders, also have to make sure the alternates are available. The big question I have is how many tracks am I going to have to break it down into.

The other question is how well marked is the great divide mbike route?  Say... in comparison to the AT (appalachian trail)... some have told me most of the time you don't even need a map half the time. My biggest concern is I don't want to be constantly looking at the map I just want to sit back and ride... and the only thing I want to worry about is keeping an eye on the late october weather.

Topic Name: wanted: used garmin vista or similar Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 10:07:49 AM
mmeiser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 10:07:49 AM »

what gets me is I work at a bike shop and we actually sell garmin, but our supplers like QBP and Trek don't sell the non-bike specific GPS and since we don't deal direct with garmin they won't give me a shop rat deal.

Anyone know any other bike indstry suppliers that might sell non-bike specific Garmin?

Topic Name: wanted: used garmin vista or similar Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 10:57:30 AM
Dumpster Juice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 10:57:30 AM »

I have never used a GPS for riding, just paper maps. I am holding out to purchase an etrex 20 and give it a go. I hope I am not to stupid to use it. I plan on using it for the Huracan 300 next year and hopefully the TDR in about 2 years. I checked with our LBS and he too can only order bike specfic GPS units.

Topic Name: wanted: used garmin vista or similar Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 03:29:09 PM
dgjessee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 03:29:09 PM »

I work at a large multi-faceted toy store for outdoorsy types and I have a Vista HCx.  I've played with every GPS on the market from bike/fitness specific to backcountry and for bikepacking, the Vista is definitely the best.  It's a fantastic unit and with lithium batteries lasts forever and you can't even notice it on your handlebars (like 5oz I think).  I did have to put a piece of tape on the back of the bracket so it wouldn't shake around in the handlebar mount.  Plus with the new eTrex coming out, the prices on the new ones should drop significantly.  Are you near an REI?  Because Scratch & Dent Sales (or Garage Sales if you're out west) are the best places to pick up Vistas or anything else GPS related.  I got mine for $12 and it works flawlessly.  Most of the time people just return them because they don't have a clue how to use them and don't want to take the time to read (read?! I bought the GPS to read for me!).  I do NOT have maps installed however, which would definitely be a nice touch, but considering you really have to take paper maps with you all the time anyway in case there's a malfunction, I decided to save my money.  It will still point you in the right direction and let you all the other important information without the maps installed.  If I were gonna do a major wilderness trek like the GDMBR, I would probably at least get SOME maps.

Cycling is not rocket science.

Topic Name: wanted: used garmin vista or similar Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 07:38:09 AM
annoying crack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 07:38:09 AM »

The other question is how well marked is the great divide mbike route?  

It's not marked at all. There are NO signs along the way at all.
The cues on the ACA maps are pretty easy to follow with a good working odometer but a GPS with the correct track loaded on it can be handy when in doubt.

Free maps for GPS can be found here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 07:44:26 AM by annoying crack » Logged
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: