Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: WTB: Pearl Izumi X-Alp P.R.O. Shoes, size 47 on: May 09, 2013, 09:24:52 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:24:52 PM »

Pearl made this particular X-Alp model in 2011 and then promptly discontinued it - which sucks, because they're the best HAB shoes I've ever had.  My pair is just about done for and I can't find any new-old-stock ones anywhere in my size.  This is a long shot, I know, but if any of you happen to have a pair you hated for whatever reason, or if you stumble upon some for sale anywhere, I'd certainly appreciate a heads up.  Size 47, and "X-Alp PRO" only, not other X-Alp models, or other PRO models.  Thanks!

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: WTB: Pearl Izumi X-Alp P.R.O. Shoes, size 47 Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 06:39:26 AM
NT

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 06:39:26 AM »

I hear you, the sole on my x-alp pros are delaminating and I'm not sure what to replace them with. Love those shoes. Do the new x-alp launch  (or not yet out x-project) not compare?

Topic Name: WTB: Pearl Izumi X-Alp P.R.O. Shoes, size 47 Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 06:59:19 AM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 06:59:19 AM »

Tried the Launch.  Much, much too soft.  If you like the stiffness of the PROs you won't like these things.  The X-Project ones look interesting, but since they were supposed to be out months ago, I'm not holding my breath on release dates matching what they're now saying.  Also, they're ugly as hell, and the heel's sole looks awfully narrow to me (major ankle turn potential).

I'm curious about the Lake MX170, or whichever one they make with a Vibram hiking sole, but no one around here carries Lake, so unless I want to drive to Denver I'm just taking a long shot on sizing and so on.  Also, just velcro, no buckles on these guys.

I called up Shimano the other day and got a pair of M162s on the way.  We'll see how they do - not ideal from photos/info, but approaching the best thing I can find, especially since I need to start breaking in a new pair of shoes just about NOW for big stuff this summer.

www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: WTB: Pearl Izumi X-Alp P.R.O. Shoes, size 47 Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 07:19:21 AM
NT

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 07:19:21 AM »

Dang. PI is offering to replace my shoes, which is great. But now I'm not sure what to replace them with...
Sounds like x-project might not be out until the fall realistically.

Topic Name: WTB: Pearl Izumi X-Alp P.R.O. Shoes, size 47 Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 10:08:55 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 10:08:55 PM »

I am liking the looks of this http://www.northwave.it/en/product/_dolomites_5-8

Price looks good http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Northwave/Northwave-Dolomites-Mountain-Shoes.axd

Only found one review http://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-protection/northwave-dolomites-mountain-shoes-825643.html

Topic Name: WTB: Pearl Izumi X-Alp P.R.O. Shoes, size 47 Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 01:25:46 PM
Eugenemtbing

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 01:25:46 PM »

The Northwave Dolomites shoe looks great.  I have wide feet (in the ball area), as also mentioned by the guy who wrote the review.  I would like to hear more about this shoe, if anyone gets some info.

I have typically worn Lakes because they are fairly wide.  But they don't seem last very long.

Topic Name: WTB: Pearl Izumi X-Alp P.R.O. Shoes, size 47 Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 12:59:05 AM
mtndragon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 12:59:05 AM »

The Lakes don't last long at all.  The Vibram sole quickly starts to chunk off, and the velcro has come apart at the seams.  Overall, very disappointed with the quality.  The idea is good, if they only had a buckle.
My friend has the same pair of Lakes and is also in the market for a new set of shoes because his are falling apart as well...

Topic Name: WTB: Pearl Izumi X-Alp P.R.O. Shoes, size 47 Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 05:33:37 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 05:33:37 AM »

Found out the Northwave's were on the narrow side.

Went with the X-Alp Enduro III. Haven't had them long enough to really know but they seem fine. Don't have the new cleats yet just did one dog walk and used them to ride the ranch bike with flats. After a 4 hour shift my feet felt fine, dog walk is about 1.5 hours also fine. So far so good. I think once they have a couple of break in rides they'll be great.

Topic Name: WTB: Pearl Izumi X-Alp P.R.O. Shoes, size 47 Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 07:39:13 AM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 07:39:13 AM »

I tried the Enduro III as well - in fact, that's a shoe we stock and sell quite often.  Once again, too soft for my taste - softer than the Launch.  Works for a lot of people though.  I'm looking for a stiff shoe with a rubber/hiking sole that has a shape I can walk long distances in.  Just yesterday my Shimano M162's came in... initial impression is quite good.  They're definitely more a cycling shoe, less aggressive sole than my Pearl X-Alp PRO's, but the sole is all rubber and in fact feels more grippy than the X-Alps on rock/smooth surfaces.  Pedaling stiffness is good.  I'll ride them over the next bit and keep you posted... here's hoping.

www.bedrockbags.com

Topic Name: WTB: Pearl Izumi X-Alp P.R.O. Shoes, size 47 Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 09:26:58 AM
Eugenemtbing

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 09:26:58 AM »

Joeydurango -- how about for wide feet?  Would you recommend the Shimano shoes or something else?

Topic Name: WTB: Pearl Izumi X-Alp P.R.O. Shoes, size 47 Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 02:10:50 PM
ImAFred

Big B

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 02:10:50 PM »

Shimano mtb shoes ...IME ...run wide

I dig dirt!

Topic Name: WTB: Pearl Izumi X-Alp P.R.O. Shoes, size 47 Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 10:31:55 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 10:31:55 PM »

"Wide" is so subjective... but I don't have small feet in either dimension and Shimano sizing has always worked for me.  They're certainly not as narrow as a Sidi or something.

Took the first ride on the M162s this evening and I think they'll work for me.  Stiff enough, walkable enough, good fit.  Once I break them in I think they'll be a great successor to the X-Alp PRO.  Still surprising to look down and see white shoes after years of darker ones... gotta get 'em dirty!

Tim, I'd be curious to hear what you think of the Enduro III's after you ride them with cleats on for a several-hour ride.  I have multiple customers who say they're the most comfy cycling shoe they've ever had.  I just wonder about long hours on little pedals.

www.bedrockbags.com

Topic Name: WTB: Pearl Izumi X-Alp P.R.O. Shoes, size 47 Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 04:51:04 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 04:51:04 AM »

The cleats should have arrived at the ranch yesterday so I'll get them today. Planning the first big ride for Sunday. I'll let you know.

My feet aren't that big 10.5 US 45 EU, but they are a bit wide right behind the little toe. At least that's the one spot that always blows out most shoes. I have had good luck with Shimano SH MT 51's with a little break in time and the laces loose. I run the velcro strap a bit tighter for HAB stuff.

Topic Name: WTB: Pearl Izumi X-Alp P.R.O. Shoes, size 47 Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 05:46:08 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 05:46:08 AM »

Got my big ride in yesterday, 65 mile ride from home and loop the nearest mountain range.

I see what you mean about the Enduro's being soft. Perhaps a little lost power due to that. Feels great while hiking tho.

Had a couple of new cleat induced crashes but other then that the new shoes felt great. Considering I spent 10 hours riding and hiking in them, my feet did hurt a little near the end but that would have been the case anyway.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: