Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Liner material on: January 09, 2014, 05:16:39 PM
ollie.olsson

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »

So, I going to be sewing a frame bag, and I want to have an accessory pocket on the non-drive side, but I'm having trouble how to make it.

Either I use a liner of some sort which is visible on the inside of the bag, or I sew on an extra layer of VX 21 on top of itself.

I like the idea of a colourful liner I must admit.

And has anyone used an old sail to make a frame bag? Would it be excessive? I can imagine it being a bit harder to work with since it's a bit thicker than VX 21.

Final question, I've looked all over the place, and found a multitude of answers: how to store the hydration bladder? From what I've seen and read, it's mainly just fit it in where ever it fits, if it even fits. Has anyone had a break through for this?

This is an idea, and please shoot it down if it's a terrible idea:

Towards the front of the frame bag, have a zipper going down along the down tube (maybe 25-50% of the entire length) with the standard zipper going horizontally all along the bag. Inside of the bag have a divider (velcro, permanent, whatever) that is parallel to the down tube, high/big enough to squeeze a hydration bag.

This would drop the center of gravity down a bit, and by having the two zippers, should allow to easy access of the hydration bag. A crazy idea just struck me. The downward zipper, have two zippers on it, so you wouldn't have to empty out the top/front of the bag.

Thanks!

Topic Name: Liner material Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 08:16:08 AM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 08:16:08 AM »

I've wondered if people just lay the hydration bag into/onto whatever is in the frame bag as well.

I just received my Revelate frame bag (Salsa version) and was half expecting to see a loop, or hook to hang the hydration bag from.

When fully packed this is not as much of an issue, but for long gravel rides with little packed, this could be useful.

Topic Name: Liner material Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 11:30:36 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 11:30:36 PM »

I made a VX sleeve to put my bladder in to protect it from potential punctures and abrasion, then I just put that in the frame bag and put the rest of the stuff in and around it. The MSR bladders have a more durable outer than platy bladders, I'd like to try one eventually.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Liner material Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 02:13:11 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 02:13:11 AM »

I use an MSR dromedary (black) in the top of my older custom revelate framebag - bag has the full length top pocket, so the drom just gets shoved in there. Nothing else goes in there, except benign items like gels, bags of lollies - basically stuff that won't damage the drom. The red drom-lites just feel a little too thin for me, but I know plenty of people use them with no issues.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Liner material Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 04:54:33 PM
ollie.olsson

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 04:54:33 PM »

Cheers for the info! I think I'll make a protective sleeve for my camelbak, I like that idea!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: