Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: seat post mounted rack as a seat bag alternative on: June 30, 2013, 05:31:46 PM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2013, 05:31:46 PM »

I'm just getting into bike packing and I've made a frame bag and I'm using an OR lateral dry bag as my handle bar bag, but I haven't pulled the trigger on a seat bag yet. I have a little trouble justifying spending $150+ on a bag and I don't think I can make my own, though maybe eventually... I'm thinking for now of using a seat post mounted rack with a waterproof stuff sack strapped on it instead. Anybody have an opinion or experience with this? I'm thinking of this rack http://www.rei.com/product/831420/delta-cycles-usa-post-haste-seatpost-bike-rack-special-buy

I already have an OR waterproof stuff sack and the rack is pretty cheap, my main worry is the rack breaking from the repeated stress of bouncing down the trail but I don't know how realistic of a worry this is.

Thanks for the advice

Topic Name: seat post mounted rack as a seat bag alternative Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 05:47:49 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 05:47:49 PM »

It's a pretty realistic worry. They do tend to break and it puts extra stress on the frame. If you didn't overload it you would likely be fine tho.

People sometimes just strap a bag on to the seat rails. Not the best option but it can be made to work.

I would at least try to find a way to strap the bag on without adding additional weight.

I know one guy who would use road bike tubes to tie his sleeping bag stuff sack right under the seat.

I've had a seat bag for several years now and they are worth the money.

Topic Name: seat post mounted rack as a seat bag alternative Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 09:35:38 PM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 09:35:38 PM »

I'm thinking that it'd mostly carry my sleeping bag, clothes, and sleeping pad. So it wouldn't be that heavy. I definitely think that the seat bags out there are well worth it, but seeing as I'm just getting into bike packing and I'm not 100% sure I'll stick with it, it seems like alot to spend on one bag, Shoot I felt a bit guilty about the $50 I spent on materials that I ended up making 2 frame bags and what I think will be a 1/3 frame bag for long day trips. (I'm pretty excited about this bag if I can make it work)

I have seen one guy who basically used a compression stuff sack and threaded his seat post through on of the handles and then threw a couple of straps on, I think this would work, but I don't have a sack that will work. The other thing is that I did an overnight trip without a seat bag, but carried a small 18L back pack, which wasn't terrible but I'd like to not have to carry more than water on my back. So I think a seat bag would make that happen.

Topic Name: seat post mounted rack as a seat bag alternative Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 05:28:13 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 05:28:13 AM »

Depending on what type of terrain your planning on riding, weight can be a big factor in enjoyment. If your looking to ride single track you want to minimize what you need to carry, both on the bike and your back.

That's the other issue with the rear rack, they are usually fairly heavy especially the cheaper ones. Not saying it won't work, I've used them in the past.

I would say that before you buy the rack at least try to figure out an alternate strapping system. If you can't come up with something, maybe the rack is the right way to go for you.

Best of luck.

Tim

PS you will keep bikepacking that I can almost guarantee.

Topic Name: seat post mounted rack as a seat bag alternative Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 01:38:54 PM
bicyclehobo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 01:38:54 PM »

In addition to the worry of it actually breaking is the worry of it 'just becoming loose and rotating or dropping'. I have read a number of accounts of this happening on boards around the web. I was considering a seatpost rack for a while but have given up. I am trying to pair down my touring gear so that I can go rackless. It is proving to be a challenge, and then there is the added cost of the bags.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: