Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Starting out, Singer 201K for $50? on: December 29, 2012, 09:16:33 PM
DallasW

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2012, 09:16:33 PM »

Well then, my first post and it's sraight into making gear  icon_biggrin

I ordered a new 29er this week, my first ever MTB, actually my first ever bike with gears (yes I'm a hipster, blah blah  thumbsup), to do some bikepacking with. I have most of the camping stuff required, but am looking into making some bags for it all. I've been looking through a bunch of guides here and over at backpackinglite to get a feel for what's going on. I'm really liking the thread by Jerry on his DIY kit here and want to give it a shot myself. I'm planning on doing vx21 x-pac sidewalls on everything and also 1000d cordura on the surround for abrasion resistance (is this overkill, 500d may be fine, or even 400d packcloth?).

Now, a friend of mine has a machine, but it's the typical plastic geared device sold in the last 30ish years from the looks of it, and I'm not sure if it is going to work for my use, and even if it does I'm a little scared of the excessive wear I'm going to be putting on it, since it's not mine.
I'm looking around kijiji for used machines and found a singer 201k. This looks almost perfect as it's got metal gears and from everything I've found online it's built like a tank and pretty simple to service and find parts for. They're asking $50 for it which includes the cabinet and apparently it still works great, seems like a fair price, maybe even a good price? Just wondering if there is anything in particular I can check on it, having no previous experience with anything sewing related at this point. Also, is this actually a good machine for my use? It looks to be straight stitch only but from what I've found in tutorials online that's all anyone is using.

Thanks for the help!

Topic Name: Starting out, Singer 201K for $50? Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 09:54:21 PM
thesergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 09:54:21 PM »

Congrats on the new bike and my hat is off to you for making your own gear.

To answer your first question (500D vs. 1000D): I think 500D is fine if you're going to do a double layer spine with either padding or a plastic stiffener.   The 500d is lighter and also easier to sew through.  i think it's a better match with vx21 too. 

As for a machine, you're probably okay with your friends home machine, especially if you're sticking to vx21 and 500d cordura.  You'll likely have to crank the tension way up but it should be able to handle it.  I have 3 machines (Brother SE400, 80's Singer Imperial, Sailrite LSZ-1) and I've made frame bags with each without issue. 

With that said, buy that 201k!  $50 is a low price for that machine and it's vintage styling lends to "hipster" street cred Wink.  Assuming it's working it'll get the job done.  Straight stitch is all you need. 

Goodluck and post a photo if you get that machine!

Topic Name: Starting out, Singer 201K for $50? Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 10:01:36 PM
DallasW

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 10:01:36 PM »

Ended up picking up the 201k, always nice to have your own stuff I suppose, and just in case I don't want to break those precious plastic gears! Sews great with my limited experience, nice and quiet.

Here it is, obviously I went with the instagram filter  Wink

Now to try and find something to sew for fun while the special fabrics get in. Think I'm going to go with a cycling cap to start out...

Topic Name: Starting out, Singer 201K for $50? Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 10:09:04 PM
thesergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 10:09:04 PM »

Nice!  I've been lusting after a vintage machine for awhile.  Yours looks like it's in great condition.

Google "dudecraft cycling cap".  He has a pattern and a tutorial on making a cap.  I made a cycling cap a couple weeks ago and am digging it.  I tried the dudecraft pattern but it didn't quite fit my head.  I just kind of winged it and with a serger it was quick work.  Goodluck!

Topic Name: Starting out, Singer 201K for $50? Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 05:09:05 PM
bumbler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 05:09:05 PM »

Nice machine. Must be open season on Singer 201s...I picked up a 1950 edition today for $15. Seems to run well, but I'll probably take it in for a thorough cleaning & tune-up.

FYI, the user manual is still available on the Singer website [1], and a (very thorough!) service manual is available in the 'Files' section of the wefixit Yahoo group [2] (need to join for access).

[1] http://www.singerco.com/uploads/download/651_201.pdf
[2] http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wefixit/

Topic Name: Starting out, Singer 201K for $50? Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 02:35:42 PM
Bedrock

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 02:35:42 PM »

thesergeant,
Nice job on the hat!

Bedrock Bags - Andrew Wracher

Topic Name: Starting out, Singer 201K for $50? Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 01:04:27 PM
thesergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 01:04:27 PM »

I can't believe you guys got these 201's for $15 & $50!  Insanity. 

After this thread I started really thinking about getting a vintage machine.  I picked up a Japanese "clone" of the 15-91 and was blown away by how smooth it was and the piercing power it had (1.0 amp motor).  Grabbed a 1948 Singer 15-91 the other day and have gone to town restoring it.  The direct drive is a nice upgrade over the belt driven machines.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: