Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun on: January 28, 2013, 05:11:02 PM
J.Paks

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2013, 05:11:02 PM »

Finished this the other week. Seems to be a lot of interest in carrying a sidearm whether commuting or bikepacking,
but not carrying it on the body.
This was my solution. Decided on the MOLLE attachment system to make the pack somewhat universal, but stability was not compromised.
Thought I'd share with you guys

www.jpaks.com

You like custom bags? J.PAKS adventure cycling frame paks
-- http://jpaks.com/ --

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 10:09:27 PM
ascar_larkinyar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 10:09:27 PM »

is there enough padding to save the frame and gun from scratching each other?

will the bullet shoot a hole in your foot if it goes off?....lol...jk

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 11:37:36 PM
Eugenemtbing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 11:37:36 PM »

Very nice design.  I often carry a small revolver in a leather pocket holster in a Mountain Feedback.  This takes up virtually all the space in the Feedbag, though, and the bag is not easy to open.

Just finished my first frame bag.  I am thinking of sewing a pocket similar to what you have designed inside the right portion of the frame bag just below the zipper.

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 05:45:16 AM
J.Paks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 05:45:16 AM »

is there enough padding to save the frame and gun from scratching each other?

will the bullet shoot a hole in your foot if it goes off?....lol...jk

There is ~.25" worth of closed cell foam protecting the frame and gun.
If the gun were to fire, it's pointing at the front hub. Put your foot there and you're
bound to get a hole.

Very nice design.  I often carry a small revolver in a leather pocket holster in a Mountain Feedback.  This takes up virtually all the space in the Feedbag, though, and the bag is not easy to open.

Just finished my first frame bag.  I am thinking of sewing a pocket similar to what you have designed inside the right portion of the frame bag just below the zipper.

You addressed 2 of the problems this person had with existing designs. The weapon took up all the space and was not easy to retrieve.
I have done a couple frame packs with internal holsters, but this was designed to be a 'quick draw' style.
The owner of this is an LEO back in Minnesota who commutes with his sidearm.

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 08:59:40 AM
Damnitman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 08:59:40 AM »

...remember...using something like that would definitely qualify as concealed carry necessitating compliance with all applicable laws and regulations...

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 01:46:36 PM
jeremy11

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 01:46:36 PM »

Looks fun!  I'm yet another old white man clinging to my guns and religion, so plan on sewing up some sort of frame bag carry solution too.  Part of me thinks that waist carry is still the best option, but for a long ride that could get uncomfortable.

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 02:10:46 PM
Eugenemtbing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 02:10:46 PM »

For bears, a large-caliber revolver is the most practical with a 4" or longer barrel (if you are choosing this over/in addition to bear spray), so bag size becomes a consideration in terms of placement.

For LEO or concealed off-duty carry, there are lots of options.

One thing to consider for a safety is a small kydex trigger cover.  This is basically a molded cover that protects the trigger assemble while stowed in the bag or loose holster. 

The trigger cover typically has a small cord to grab and yank on, which pulls the cover off the gun while drawing.  I know a guy locally who makes them.  Have never looked online for them.  I think they are relatively easy to make if you learn the basics of heating and molding kydex.

Just some ideas.

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 02:27:03 PM
Eugenemtbing

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 02:27:03 PM »

J.Paks -- is that a #5 zipper?  I can get these from a shop not too far from me but no waterproof #8.

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 04:38:54 PM
jehsohn

Woof!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 04:38:54 PM »

My People!!!!!

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 04:49:12 PM
jeremy11

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 04:49:12 PM »

For bears, a large-caliber revolver is the most practical with a 4" or longer barrel (if you are choosing this over/in addition to bear spray), so bag size becomes a consideration in terms of placement.
Take your 44 Magnum revolver and your favorite holster.  Drill it out appropriately and bolt it onto your Salsa fork with some big fender washers....

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 05:06:24 PM
J.Paks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »

J.Paks -- is that a #5 zipper?  I can get these from a shop not too far from me but no waterproof #8.

Essentially yes. It is a 'water resistant' zipper, not waterproof. The waterproof zippers do not lend themselves to
single handed 'easy' opening. Easy being the key part. Most all waterproof zippers require 2 hands.

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 06:59:21 PM
Tommi

Always a little farther.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »

I find it sad  that anyone  feels that it's necessary to be armed when you go for a bike ride, despite bears and other wild animals. Is crime that prevalent you need weapons while riding? If so , go like this:

* Swiss_M-05_w_Equip_4.jpg (85.08 KB, 640x350 - viewed 1858 times.)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:08:10 PM by Tommi » Logged

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 08:26:09 AM
J.Paks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 08:26:09 AM »

I find it sad  that anyone  feels that it's necessary to be armed when you go for a bike ride, despite bears and other wild animals. Is crime that prevalent you need weapons while riding? If so , go like this:

Someone's always gotta be 'that guy'

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 09:12:59 PM
Tommi

Always a little farther.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 09:12:59 PM »

Yah, I am 'that guy'.  Wink I meant no disrespect.
Seriously, it seems a lot of weight to lug around. I spent a career of 27 years in the infantry; I guess now that I'm a civilian, leaving weapons and ammunition, cleaning kits, body armour, trauma kits, explosives, and all that other army stuff has relieved me of  lot of stress. I am also Canadian; the firearms laws are totally different, a firearms permit is an administrational nightmare to obtain, and the gun culture is very small.[I own some, too].
 You do bring up an interesting point though; as a former soldier, I think that bikes, in the right area of operations, are still a viable transport option for large amounts of ammunition, heavy weapons and equipment. The Vietcong and NVA  used bikes extensively on the Ho Chi Minh trail. The Swiss only disbanded their last bike regiment in 2005. In a real twist of horrible fate, some comrades of mine were killed by a bicycle-borne IED in Afghanistan a few years ago. That really sucked.

* Supplies-Ho-Chi-Minh-trail.jpg (64.38 KB, 425x566 - viewed 980 times.)

* Swiss_Velo_Brigade.jpg (199.2 KB, 1024x686 - viewed 1022 times.)

* Bike_IED.jpg (33.64 KB, 450x348 - viewed 998 times.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:42:12 PM by Tommi » Logged

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 11:55:37 PM
Mark_BC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 11:55:37 PM »

I'm Canadian and I just got my firearms license. I plan on loading up on ammo and guns. Prepare for the destruction of the dollar, after which the only money that will hold value will be gold, silver, platinum, palladium, and ammo. Then it will be dangerous to bikepack.

But for now I don't see a need for a gun. It isn't going to do you much good with a bear. I've had a few run-ins with grizzlies and I'd only trust bear spray --- and your brain. So I have to figure out a way to mount that so it's easy to pull out. All a gun`s gonna do is piss him off even more. In BC, you aren't even allowed to bring a handgun into the bush, you'll get in major do-do if you get caught. This is for the sake of animal welfare, so people don't end up shooting bears or other large wildlife with little bullets.

But my challenge right now is coming up with some sort of noise making device so bears can hear me coming. I`ve startled them before and it`s not pleasant for either me or the bear. As kids we used to put hockey cards in the spokes but I don't think they'll last very long...

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 06:14:22 AM
J.Paks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 06:14:22 AM »

Just to clear the air, the individual this was made for is an LEO.

I didn't think I needed to preface the thread with this, but apparently this place is turning into another MTBR with these comments Roll Eyes

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 04:49:35 PM
Tommi

Always a little farther.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 04:49:35 PM »

I'm Canadian and I just got my firearms license. I plan on loading up on ammo and guns. Prepare for the destruction of the dollar, after which the only money that will hold value will be gold, silver, platinum, palladium, and ammo. Then it will be dangerous to bikepack.

But for now I don't see a need for a gun. It isn't going to do you much good with a bear. I've had a few run-ins with grizzlies and I'd only trust bear spray --- and your brain. So I have to figure out a way to mount that so it's easy to pull out. All a gun`s gonna do is piss him off even more. In BC, you aren't even allowed to bring a handgun into the bush, you'll get in major do-do if you get caught. This is for the sake of animal welfare, so people don't end up shooting bears or other large wildlife with little bullets.

But my challenge right now is coming up with some sort of noise making device so bears can hear me coming. I`ve startled them before and it`s not pleasant for either me or the bear. As kids we used to put hockey cards in the spokes but I don't think they'll last very long...

Try a couple of bearbells lashed to the bars...

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 04:54:33 PM
Tommi

Always a little farther.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 04:54:33 PM »

icon_silent

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 06:21:25 PM
Mark_BC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 06:21:25 PM »

Yeah it sounds too obvious but I don't know if they'd be loud enough to warn bears in time for the faster speeds you travel on your bike.

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 12:41:37 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 12:41:37 PM »

I tire of gun debates. It's two legged critters that sometimes raise suspicion. I have now come upon 2 separate grow camp operations out here while riding/hiking. While I don't carry often, there are times that I do. When I do, I carry a Smith and Wesson J frame. It's small, hammerless, and I can conceal it in lots of places. People running grow camps are not likely to be real happy with intruders. Thankfully both I've walked into were abandoned. 

Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: