Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 07:49:42 AM
AnatolyG

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 07:49:42 AM »

I was thinking of riding into the backcountry w/ a hunting rifle. Anyone doing that? Also, how are you taking animals out? I am thinking starting small first, rabbit maybe?

I am not interested in gun debates, just thoughts on how it could be done. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:55:59 AM by AnatolyG » Logged

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 09:31:21 AM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 09:31:21 AM »

I was thinking of riding into the backcountry w/ a hunting rifle. Anyone doing that? Also, how are you taking animals out? I am thinking starting small first, rabbit maybe?

I think this is prime application for a longtail.  If the route wasn't too rough (and you weren't too far in), I would think you could haul out a deer. 

On the rabbit and standard mtb scale, I would investigate how much a rifle that breaks down costs.  I have hauled long objects on my bike (x-country skis), and there is no really elegant way to do it.  Alternately, you could use a rear rack and create a harness for your rifle that holds the rifle roughly vertical.

@Those who "aren't asking for a gun debate", please note that you have voiced your opinion on the issue by stating that you carry in the backcountry.  Consider this before asking others not to voice their (differing) opinions.

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 10:06:06 AM
balexander87

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 10:06:06 AM »

But my challenge right now is coming up with some sort of noise making device so bears can hear me coming...

As far as a noise maker goes, what about this??

Turbospoke Bicycle Exhaust System (Ages 6+)

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 06:18:30 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 06:18:30 PM »

@Those who "aren't asking for a gun debate", please note that you have voiced your opinion on the issue by stating that you carry in the backcountry.  Consider this before asking others not to voice their (differing) opinions.

Seriously? Stating that I carry at times is an opinion? The person asked a perfectly legit question and this is your counter? He's hunting for cripes sake. I would think that the only reason he said that in the first place is because simply having the word gun in a post would likely create a debate with some folks. If I ask about a backpack then would it be acceptable to you if I asked for a non-debate on guns? See how silly that is?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:37:34 PM by riverfever » Logged

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 06:44:32 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 06:44:32 PM »

AnatolyG...I'll have to try to find it but I have seen someone use a bike while going for bigger game like Mule Deer and Elk. I would think rabbit and squirrel would be super easy and probably fun with a .22 pistol. I can't recall how the guy carried his rifle. I'm sure it wasn't pretty. I've carried a fly rod tube and even that was cumbersome so I can't imagine a rifle. Best I could think of off the top of my head is very similar to how folks in ski towns carry their skis (some kind of PVC pipe attached but hopefully more securely). Maybe full length PVC lined with foam to protect the rifle? I have seen someone use a toboggan and paracord to bring out bigger game after it was field dressed. I have also seen someone use one of those blue plastic sleds and cord. If you actually dressed it and quartered it in the field, I bet transport could be pretty simple. Happens with just a backpack all the time.

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 06:49:10 PM
AnatolyG

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 06:49:10 PM »

@reverfever, thanks for the response! I met a guy in Oregon who went elk hunting w/ a bike. He brought the Elk out, a few trips, and I am sure it was ugly. Delicious burgers, however! I'll keep noodling on it.

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 06:59:19 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 06:59:19 PM »

What is the terrain like? Are we talking about logging roads or actual singletrack? That's gonna impact things a lot. I think for ease of things, I would try to use some type of handlebar mounted rack if the terrain permitted it. Keep looking. There's actually a lot of information out there on this.

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 07:03:04 PM
AnatolyG

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 07:03:04 PM »

What is the terrain like? Are we talking about logging roads or actual singletrack? That's gonna impact things a lot. I think for ease of things, I would try to use some type of handlebar mounted rack if the terrain permitted it. Keep looking. There's actually a lot of information out there on this.

right now it's Arizona desert single track, soon will be Oregon forests, and then, Reno NV High desert.

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 12:11:08 PM
Damnitman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 12:11:08 PM »

Get a Remington XP-100 or Savage Striker in the caliber appropriate for the game you are stalking.  Use a BOB for hauling. 

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 10:30:31 PM
AnatolyG

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 10:30:31 PM »

Get a Remington XP-100 or Savage Striker in the caliber appropriate for the game you are stalking.  Use a BOB for hauling. 

Wow, those are awesome pistols, thanks for the tip. I really like the XP-100.

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 08:44:51 AM
hikernks

Got Gravel?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 08:44:51 AM »

I would think a sling would work better for a rifle than a bicycle scabbard.  As far as transporting game, I think the ideal setup would be a fat-bike with a BOB trailer, but, comma,  I've never tried it either.  I'd be interested in hearing about your set-up, though.

On the topic of bikes and guns, I've thought about trying to gather interest/organzing a "bike-athlon."  This would be a combination of mountain-biking and skeet shooting, as opposed to XC-skiing and .22 shooting.  Just an idea I've tossed around in my ADD-addled head, haha.

"Man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

http://dingo41.wordpress.com

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 04:34:24 AM
afie

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 04:34:24 AM »

LOL at this thread.

But my challenge right now is coming up with some sort of noise making device so bears can hear me coming. I`ve startled them before and it`s not pleasant for either me or the bear.

Get yourself a Hope Pro 2 hub - loudest freewheel available.

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 09:25:30 AM
paxton coyote

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 09:25:30 AM »

Small caliber, small game hunting by bike? I'd look into the new take-down model of Ruger's 10-22, breaks down in 2 pieces & comes in a cary case, it will be my next gun

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 07:22:18 PM
hikernks

Got Gravel?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 07:22:18 PM »

Paxton, thanks for the info, looks interesting!  Another option is the Henry Survival Rifle.  Everything breaks down and stores in the buttstock, plus it floats.  The only drawback is that it would take a couple of minutes to assemble, whereas the new 10-22 looks like it goes together rather quickly.  Give and take, but both are fine .22s.

"Man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

http://dingo41.wordpress.com

Topic Name: Tactical Holster_Riding with a handgun Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 01:47:25 PM
Eugenemtbing

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »

Chased up a big bear today while doing a snowy Cascade ride.  My friend and I were as surprised as the bear....

Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: