Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 08 Salsa El Mariachi frame/form 100 dollars? on: July 31, 2013, 08:06:15 PM
FatCloud

Cross check at Briones

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:06:15 PM »

Hi there,

I came across this deal and am considering pulling the trigger tomorrow. The only fault is that the deraullier hanger is bent, which being steel I could possibly bend back.

Is this a good deal?
What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Topic Name: 08 Salsa El Mariachi frame/form 100 dollars? Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 04:17:23 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 04:17:23 PM »

I think they used True Temper OX Platinum material then. I'd pay a hundred for the frame and fork. I've seen some pretty ugly hangers be bent back and function just fine. The only thing I don't like about that year is I think they used that stupid tube at the top tube/seat tube junction. Just sticks out to me. If it was a B bike or a townie then I wouldn't care about it.

Topic Name: 08 Salsa El Mariachi frame/form 100 dollars? Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 04:25:57 AM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 04:25:57 AM »

It sounds almost too good.

Topic Name: 08 Salsa El Mariachi frame/form 100 dollars? Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 08:53:23 PM
FatCloud

Cross check at Briones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 08:53:23 PM »

I pulled the trigger.

New to me Salsa El Mariachi by Patrick's Velolog, on Flickr

El Mariachi Eccentric BB by Patrick's Velolog, on Flickr

I was curious about all the single speed Mariachi's, then I saw the Eccentric Bottom Bracket. I'll take a pic of the dropout soon. I really should focus on getting that thing straight before I start buying pieces and parts for it!

The plan is to build a single speed, then 1x9, then maybe full drivetrain (27 speed hopefully for touring). I;m excited and glad I have it, but unhappy I have to wait to build it up! My hope is to have it rolling by next summer (totally doable, but I need to pace myself, my fixie is still not what I want it to be, so I need to finish that project first and the Cross Check will be redone in a few months too).

Stoked!

Topic Name: 08 Salsa El Mariachi frame/form 100 dollars? Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 08:57:24 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 08:57:24 PM »

I don't think it sounds too good to be true. I worked in the industry for 15 years and would sell stuff off super cheap after I was done with it. You tend to get spoiled when you can get the latest and greatest stuff at cost or below. Let's see a picture of the hanger.

Topic Name: 08 Salsa El Mariachi frame/form 100 dollars? Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 09:55:06 PM
FatCloud

Cross check at Briones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 09:55:06 PM »

Here they are:

Bent Hanger by Patrick's Velolog, on Flickr

Bent Hanger by Patrick's Velolog, on Flickr

My biggest concern is from the side view how the dropout looks splayed backward, as if it wouldn't hold a wheel. Again, even if this becomes a single speed I'd be happy.

Topic Name: 08 Salsa El Mariachi frame/form 100 dollars? Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 11:03:07 AM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 11:03:07 AM »

What did the seller say happened to that hanger? I'd love to know the story of how it get bent back like that. 15 years working as a mechanic in shops, I don't think I've ever seen one bent back like that (that hanger should be damn near perpendicular to that chain stay!). Having said that, for $100, I'd sure be willing to try fix it. If it was mine, I would secure it in a bike stand that is solid (like a shop quality Park model) so it's not going to move around. I would find a junked rear hub to be able to install into the dropout so that you have some kind of template to bend that metal around. It can be very easy to over bend heated metal. You could use a hammer to bend it but if it were me I would probably try to find something (small pipe) to fit over the end of the hanger so I had leverage to work with and bend slowly. This might be tough with a hub in the dropout. Get creative (maybe take the whole hub apart and just use the axle and cones). I have access to an oxy-acetylene torch but you'd probably be able to get by with using a simple propane torch (found at any good hardware store). I would heat the middle portion of that hanger (where you need it to bend) until it was cherry hot and then slowly bend it. Once done, it might be a good idea to dunk that hanger area into a bucket of cold water. This is called qhenching and it essentially hardens the metal again. I'd worry about getting the hanger so that it can hold an axle in the dropout before I fawked with getting it straight so the derailleur shifts correctly. Obviously, this is gonna fawk up the paint but for a $100 frame, I don't think I'd be worried about that but I would hit with some spray paint. Cool little project. Good luck. 

Topic Name: 08 Salsa El Mariachi frame/form 100 dollars? Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 11:32:38 AM
FatCloud

Cross check at Briones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 11:32:38 AM »

What did the seller say happened to that hanger? I'd love to know the story of how it get bent back like that. 15 years working as a mechanic in shops, I don't think I've ever seen one bent back like that (that hanger should be damn near perpendicular to that chain stay!). Having said that, for $100, I'd sure be willing to try fix it. If it was mine, I would secure it in a bike stand that is solid (like a shop quality Park model) so it's not going to move around. I would find a junked rear hub to be able to install into the dropout so that you have some kind of template to bend that metal around. It can be very easy to over bend heated metal. You could use a hammer to bend it but if it were me I would probably try to find something (small pipe) to fit over the end of the hanger so I had leverage to work with and bend slowly. This might be tough with a hub in the dropout. Get creative (maybe take the whole hub apart and just use the axle and cones). I have access to an oxy-acetylene torch but you'd probably be able to get by with using a simple propane torch (found at any good hardware store). I would heat the middle portion of that hanger (where you need it to bend) until it was cherry hot and then slowly bend it. Once done, it might be a good idea to dunk that hanger area into a bucket of cold water. This is called qhenching and it essentially hardens the metal again. I'd worry about getting the hanger so that it can hold an axle in the dropout before I fawked with getting it straight so the derailleur shifts correctly. Obviously, this is gonna fawk up the paint but for a $100 frame, I don't think I'd be worried about that but I would hit with some spray paint. Cool little project. Good luck. 

His story wasn't all that exciting. He just said that he pressed on the pedals and torqued it (I don't necessarily believe it). Thanks for the advice! I'm going to talk it over with my community shop folks too, they are usually a big help (and they have torches next door, but not part of the shop, I'll have to coordinate). I'm excited!

Topic Name: 08 Salsa El Mariachi frame/form 100 dollars? Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 05:26:45 AM
zuren

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 05:26:45 AM »

His story wasn't all that exciting. He just said that he pressed on the pedals and torqued it (I don't necessarily believe it).

That's a BS story if I ever heard one, unless his pressing on the pedals happened after he nearly tore the derailleur off the bike on a rock.  I can think of a lot of other components that would grenade before the hanger would bend.

Topic Name: 08 Salsa El Mariachi frame/form 100 dollars? Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 11:36:58 AM
FatCloud

Cross check at Briones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 11:36:58 AM »

That's a BS story if I ever heard one, unless his pressing on the pedals happened after he nearly tore the derailleur off the bike on a rock.  I can think of a lot of other components that would grenade before the hanger would bend.

Haha, I didn't ask too much. I thought it was a good deal. He probably did abuse it somehow, but steel! So who cares! It's fixable!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: