Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2x King ManyThing Cage on Fox F29 32 100? on: March 12, 2017, 01:16:12 AM
themalletor

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2017, 01:16:12 AM »

In an attempt to not use a back pack I'm thinking about using the King USBs and attach two of the ManyThing cages to my fork. With them, I'll either use the Salsa Anything bag or a similar 5L dry bag. Anyone have any experience with this set up on a suspension fork? Will be used on the Colorado Trail, Kokopelli, and Coconino Trails this year!

Thanks for any input!

Topic Name: 2x King ManyThing Cage on Fox F29 32 100? Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:27:15 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:27:15 PM »

Sure, it will work if you secure them well. The cage you mention looks pretty bomber, but I would bolster it with some sort of strap that surrounds both the fork leg and bag as opposed to solely trusting a cage mount. Maybe NBD, but it sucks seeing cargo falling off your fork in the BC, and there is a good bit of rough terrain on the CT (and I presume the other trails you mention).

Considering the light payload that lowers-mounted bags usually see, and their limited capacity, If I'm going where a squish fork is de rigeuer, I'd rather put that cargo almost anywhere, including on my back. The best MO is to pare down the kit to eliminate the need for the fork-mounted bags. Trails like the ones you mention are more fun with less gear and the most nimble setup.

FWIW... Mainly, just go ride and don't bail.  thumbsup

Topic Name: 2x King ManyThing Cage on Fox F29 32 100? Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 06:27:26 AM
LandSharkBrian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 06:27:26 AM »

I used the Salsa Anything racks on my Fox F29 fork last year for AZTR 300.  I put 2L water bottles in each and had them filled to the top way too often. Unfortunately my fork sort of crapped out early on and I had it locked out for the majority of the ride. The good news is, from an unsuspended mass standpoint, I had no issues, and by tying the bottles DOWN as well as securing the cylinders themselves (I had Kleen Kanteen growlers so could run a loop of webbing through the stopper hardware), had no issues with them wanting to launch in particularly rough sections either.

I'm all about not using a backpack so will run them again, hopefully this time with a functional suspension fork. And I'll just use 2L soda bottles this time around - much lighter, and disposable for the ditch hike portion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: 2x King ManyThing Cage on Fox F29 32 100? Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 02:07:30 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 02:07:30 PM »

I used the Salsa Anything racks on my Fox F29 fork last year for AZTR 300.  I put 2L water bottles in each and had them filled to the top way too often. Unfortunately my fork sort of crapped out early on and I had it locked out for the majority of the ride.

Were you able to determine what happened to your fork and why? Do you think 8+ lbs of water on your lowers could have made a difference?
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: