Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Android based GPS on: April 10, 2012, 10:53:47 PM
danimal

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2012, 10:53:47 PM »

I have never used any GPS.  I will soon have an Android 2.2 phone.  There are GPS apps available that use satellites, not cell signals, so it should function anywhere.  I would be curious to know if anyone has any experience using such a setup and especially if there is any compatibility between such a setup and the many trip data sets (tracks?) already compiled?

Topic Name: Android based GPS Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:57:24 PM
Dusza

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:57:24 PM »

OruxMaps worked good for me on hiking trips. It has lots of map sources for compilation of offline maps which you do on the phone and it 2 minutes, clear and customizable UI with the usual GPS features (gpx track/route import, track logging etc.). It's for free to!
Other option I know of is MyTrails but haven't used it that much so can't comment - seems to be just as good and free as well.
For cycling phone battery life was an issue for me so decided to jump on an etrex gps - if you can keep the battery going for longer or don't need continuous navigation you should be very happy with android.

Topic Name: Android based GPS Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:17:21 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:17:21 AM »

I use Backcountry Navigator on my Android Phone--but only as a backup to my Garmin Vista HCx. Compared to a dedicated GPS, phones are delicate, screens are hard to see, and battery life is poor. But they do consume GPX files and the like just fine.

"Done"

Topic Name: Android based GPS Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:27:00 AM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »

I have used Mytracks and Backcountry Navigator just fine, but only for short rides (less than 4 hours) due to battery life issues (I usually put it into airplane mode to save battery while keeping the GPS on).  I mainly use them to record training rides, though, not as the primary GPS source in true backcountry stuff.  I would also not recommend them for backcountry navigation where you will be using it often.  If you pull it out once in a while to check location, then battery life could work for an overnighter (though you may want to bring a spare phone battery).

But, yes the GPS does work decent enough, given the limitations Toby mentioned (though I have occasionally run into problems where it won't lock onto a satellite but it could just be my phone.  I have used an app to reset the GPS and that has seemed to help).

Topic Name: Android based GPS Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:26:51 PM
NVTornado

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:26:51 PM »

I used google tracks it does a good job recording my path, staying fairly accurate.  I can also upload tracks from google earth.  The main limitation using GPS on your phone is more the moment always going to be battery life.  Unless you get the Droid Razr Maxx your Phone with GPS enabled will normally last half a day.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: