Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Any Type 1 Diabetics in the group? on: February 21, 2016, 04:38:15 PM
Flounder

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2016, 04:38:15 PM »

After 28 seasons of racing I learned I have Type 1 diabetes. Bummer. I was diagnosed in November after one seriously crappy season of riding.

Anyone else here T1? I have backcountry food questions.

Topic Name: Any Type 1 Diabetics in the group? Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 10:28:21 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 10:28:21 PM »

After 28 seasons of racing I learned I have Type 1 diabetes. Bummer. I was diagnosed in November after one seriously crappy season of riding.

Anyone else here T1? I have backcountry food questions.

http://livethinline.blogspot.ca
Jarral used to post on here a bit, might be worth trying to track him down.
Best of luck with it.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Any Type 1 Diabetics in the group? Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 05:28:29 AM
DeanHill

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 05:28:29 AM »

I was also diagnosed with type 1 in November.    Switch my diet to high fat low carb.  My A1c went from almost 11 to 6.1 in 3 months with no insulin. I have been thinking about bike packing food, but have not been out yet.   I am excited about how much better my energy levels are without constant eating.  Also food weight should be almost half if your bringing large amounts of fats.

If you have not yet, you should read low carbohydrate performance by Volec and Phinney. 

Topic Name: Any Type 1 Diabetics in the group? Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 05:18:12 PM
Flounder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 05:18:12 PM »

If you have not yet, you should read low carbohydrate performance by Volec and Phinney. 

Thanks for the tip. My good friend Gale co-wrote "Fat Burning Machine" which also has good information about high fat / low carb diets.

I have been able to cut my insulin way back by riding every day for 90-120 minutes. I miss just one day and my levels go high again. I just have a lot of weird off days. Last night I woke up with my BS at 49. That was a little spooky. Would hate for that to happen by myself out in the woods. Eeesh.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: