Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Are disk brakes a must have?? on: November 21, 2011, 05:25:00 AM
Cheyou

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2011, 05:25:00 AM »

I am going to ride the divide trail this summer. My 26er does not have disk  brakes. is this a must change item? I can not run a rear no mount . But could run a front bb7 . Just not looking to spend money on things I don't need. 

Enjoy the ice biking this winter. Thom

Old ht 26er with not so good stuff bolted to it . Cheep and durable. And oh what fun to ride .

Topic Name: Are disk brakes a must have?? Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:05:06 AM
annoying crack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:05:06 AM »

It's not a must have, there is no extreme mountainbiking on the route so some V-brakes should be more then sufficient. Make sure your rims are still in good condition when you leave and take some spare sets of brake-pads. Clean your rims/pads at the end of the day if there was a lot of mud and you should be fine.
There are some pretty long downhills but usually they are not all that steep, just don't drag the brakes all the way down!

Have fun, it's a great adventure!

Topic Name: Are disk brakes a must have?? Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 03:00:01 PM
Cheyou

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 03:00:01 PM »

Wow clean the pads  !! I ain't much on cleaning. ! :0)

Thom

Old ht 26er with not so good stuff bolted to it . Cheep and durable. And oh what fun to ride .

Topic Name: Are disk brakes a must have?? Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 05:07:36 PM
multisportscott

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 05:07:36 PM »

I toured the GDMBR a couple of years ago on a bike with V brakes. I had no problems. As mentioned further up, there are no real MTB sections, ok maybe Fleecer Ridge, but most walk the worst of that.
I started with new wheels.
I carryed spare pads, but didn't need to change them!
The only real problem I see with them compared to disc's if you you were to break a spoke/buckle a wheel, this could render the brake unusable, not the case with discs.
Cheers from a great New Zealand summer  thumbsup
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: