Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Best GPS for Bikepacking???? on: September 17, 2010, 09:29:49 PM
sanjuanrider

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:29:49 PM »

Since I lost my GPS on the CTR this year  BangHead I'm in the shopping mode for a new one.  Does anyone have ideas, recommendations, positives/negatives about different GPS devices that are good for bickpacking.  I'm looking at something that I can download lots of data for trips like the Colorado Trail.  Has anyone bought or tried the new Delorme with Spot attachement?

Topic Name: Best GPS for Bikepacking???? Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 11:28:07 AM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 11:28:07 AM »

I use a PN20 Delorme - not the Spot model.

Advantages -
GREAT base maps!
Don't have to brake files into 500 point segments
Easy to use on the bike
Accurate
AA battery

Disadvantages-
Shorter battery life compared to some Garmin models
I find the Delorme TOPO USA software VERY cumbersome (topofusion is where i do my "work" then TOPO USA to upload)
Could use a bigger screen... like Garmin Dakota

It has served me well for the last 2 years. If I had the $$ I would buy the PN60 with Spot tomorrow based on my Delorme experience thus far.

Rob

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: Best GPS for Bikepacking???? Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 11:45:35 AM
Schwizzle

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 11:45:35 AM »

Got the etrex vista hcx earlier this year and have been happy w/ it's performance.
Inexpensive, has a color screen, is waterproof, and picks up satellites all the time in the colorado backcountry

Topic Name: Best GPS for Bikepacking???? Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 06:49:33 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 06:49:33 AM »

I have the Legend HCX works great for long rides with good long battery life. I personally would stay away from devices that try to do too much. As for the new Spot combo models. While it always sounds good on paper it seems that these combo devices never work as well as stand alone models.

Topic Name: Best GPS for Bikepacking???? Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 05:40:07 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 05:40:07 PM »

Vista HCX. Two days of life using two AA lithium batteries. Easy to load tracks, waypoints, etc. Good screen in all light conditions--even direct sun or rain and fog. Can wipe off a dirty/wet screen without messing up navigation. Easy to operate, even with gloves. Tough as nails.

"Done"

Topic Name: Best GPS for Bikepacking???? Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 06:03:10 PM
sanjuanrider

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 06:03:10 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I agree the Spot combo (Delorme/Spot) have me a little scared since they are so new and not much feedback yet on how well they are working.  I'm sure in about 5 more years they will have it down to a single Spot/GPS unit in one model and hopefully working well.  Guess for now I'll be going with just a simple GPS unit.  I'll have to compare these that you all mentioned.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: