Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Bike choice for bikepacking on: June 23, 2009, 07:26:12 PM
zafash

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2009, 07:26:12 PM »

Hi all, newbe from los angeles here. I was not able to find any recommendation for bikes onthe forums. I am getting in to bikepacking and seriously considering replacing my 2006 cannondail f600 (hardtail) for a new version. Any advice will be welcome.
Thanks!

Topic Name: Bike choice for bikepacking Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 11:46:46 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 11:46:46 AM »

Now that's a good question I hadn't heard yet.  I've been bumping up against the same thing.

Any bike for bikepacking I'd have to assume is going to see serious miles & saddle time, so it should have a bit of cush.  On the flip side, an open main triangle, uncluttered by a shock & linkage, is preferred for frame pack space.

Frames that come to mind that fit the bill are Salsa's Dos Niner, Moots YBB (I think that's the model - softail design), and the Siren Song.  The older Specialized Epics had an uncluttered main triangle but these days that's not the case.  Maybe a used older epic would be sweet...

Also, consider your wheel size with your frame size in mind.  If you ride a small frame you will have huge hurdles on a 29er getting a large seatbag to fit without hitting the rear wheel.  An inseam under 30" will probably require a 26er for bikepacking, but hey I could be wrong on that.

Anyone know of a 3"-4" travel bike out there with an uncluttered main triangle?

Topic Name: Bike choice for bikepacking Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 12:17:41 PM
DaveC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 12:17:41 PM »

Anyone know of a 3"-4" travel bike out there with an uncluttered main triangle?

Scalpel.

All of what Dave said is good advice.  I think big wheels are obvious if you're over 5' 9" or so.  Then, based of preference and expected terrain, HT or fully. 

Topic Name: Bike choice for bikepacking Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 09:47:37 AM
Carney

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 09:47:37 AM »

Scalpel.

The older Scalpels did have an open triangle, but the 08's and up (I think) have gone to a shock mount in front of the seat tube and there's hardy enough room for a bottle in there let alone a frame bag.

If you're looking for a good frame that'll take a beating there's always Surly, Redline, KHS etc.

Topic Name: Bike choice for bikepacking Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 10:10:18 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 10:10:18 AM »

Kerkove's FS Rotwild has an open front triangle....and it's brand spanking new.

Topic Name: Bike choice for bikepacking Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 07:10:18 PM
Slim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 07:10:18 PM »

The best bike dpends on your requirements.
How and where do you ride?
How much are you carrying?
What is your size?
What is your budget?

I came up with the following requirements for my bikepacking bike.http://www.bikepacking.net/individual_setups/new-bike/

* durability - obviously a ‘packing bike is subjected to higher loads and will be used for several days in a row, so this is paramount.
    * comfort and control - a backpack makes cockpit positioning more critical and the extra weight makes impacts harder. It is also less easy to control your body and bike with a higher center of gravity.
    * low rolling resistance - the goal is to cover some ground after all, and especially on sand and rocky terrain this can be hard.
    * efficient pedaling - it’s hard enough work already.
    * stiff frame, fork and wheels - for better control with a heavier load
    * low weight - there is enough extra weight in the camping gear and food. Also bikepacking rides have a larger proportion of hike-a-bikes than normal rides.

For me this means a full suspension 29er, but for someone else it may come out differently.

I don't agree that an open main triangle is essential. It is nice but you can compromise a bit there as everywhere else. In my Stumpjumper FSR 29er I can get the Jandd frame bag in, but it's an XL, if you ride small bikes that factor becomes more important, since your rear clearance tends to diminish as well as your stem length. so you will need to put more stuff in the frame.

If you are looking at HT 29ers I think the Cannondales should be on top of the list because of the weight and stiffness of the fork (plus you can stash the awesome Headtool in the steerer).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 07:27:55 PM by Slim » Logged

Topic Name: Bike choice for bikepacking Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 07:15:59 PM
Slim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 07:15:59 PM »

The older Specialized Epics had an uncluttered main triangle but these days that's not the case.  Maybe a used older epic would be sweet...

Not that old. Early 09 models were still that design. At my shop there is one brand new for about 40% off. I bet something similar can be found at many Specialized dealers.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: