Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Bikepacking Base Build on: November 29, 2011, 07:54:06 AM
Belmontbiker

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2011, 07:54:06 AM »

Hello Everyone,

Newbie here hoping to get into overnight/possible weekend bikepacking come spring.  I currently have a Siren John Henry MTB that I plan to use.  My main question is, should I pick up a Fargo V2 fork for it?  I like the idea of the anything cages, but have 0 experience with loaded riding.  Will I be happier using a frame bag, seat bag & sling?  Let me know what you think.  My plan is to get my feet wet with a couple 24 hour trips and see where it goes from there.  Hoping start building my kit as the snow begins to fly here in W. MI.  Any info would be greatly appreciated!  I'll continue to comb through the forums as well. 

Thanks!
Jason

Topic Name: Bikepacking Base Build Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:35:51 AM
Curtis C

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:35:51 AM »

Hey Jason, I am in the same process. I'd suggest sticking with the fork you have until you decide you will indeed need that space.
As for the gear, I would start with stuff that can be used universally on different bikes(seatbag and handlebar harness). If you can get all your stuff in those items for your trial trips just stick with that. If you pursue bigger adventures then go with a frame bag. If its not your cup of tea the seatbag and bar harness will be fairly easy to move compared to a frame specific bag.

Take a look at 12wheels stuff in the classified. He makes quality gear at a reasonable price and can get it to you quickly.
http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,2427.0.html

Topic Name: Bikepacking Base Build Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 11:33:58 AM
Dumpster Juice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 11:33:58 AM »

Jason, go for the 12 wheels items. I have the seat bag and gas tank and they work great. I got them in just a couple of days after I ordered them. A quality product, five stars from me....

The older I get, the better I was...

Topic Name: Bikepacking Base Build Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 10:54:43 AM
mattyp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 10:54:43 AM »

i have a fargo fork but i only carry water bottles on the fork.  other than that i use a bar bag, partial frame bag, gas tanks and seat bag and have no problems getting everything i need.  a lot of how you pack depends on what you need to take then where you want to carry it.

Topic Name: Bikepacking Base Build Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 04:59:05 AM
mgindle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 04:59:05 AM »

Hi Jason - I'll agree with all of the above comments. You'll get more flexibility with a set of bags; seat, frame, and handlebar. The weight distribution of your gear is critical for maintaining good handling when loaded. I've done multiday bikepacking on both a Siren Trauco and a John Henry and find that I can maintain most of the handling traits I love about my bikes, they're just heavier...

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: