Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Bikepacking-Specific Bags on: March 07, 2013, 07:59:27 PM
JRA

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2013, 07:59:27 PM »

I've used traditional panniers for touring on the road before.  I haven't used the frame, handlebar, seat bag, etc. style of bags for bike travel yet.  I'm curious what you think the advantages and disadvantages of each type are?  I like the idea of the minimalist packing but I just want to learn a bit more before I start investing money in new bags.

I have cruised Revelate's website - Cool Stuff!

I welcome your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: Bikepacking-Specific Bags Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:22:04 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:22:04 AM »

I've bikepacked with both setups, and they both have advantages and disadvantages. Here are some thoughts that I put down a couple of years ago:

http://tobygadd.blogspot.com/2011/01/panniers-for-2011.html

A lot depends on your bike, the terrain, the compactness of your gear, how much stuff you carry, your budget etc. In general, bags require very compact gear, and not much of it. You're not going to fit bulky sleeping bags and tents into seat/frame/handlebar bags--so you might need to spend some money if you don't already have compact gear.

"Done"

Topic Name: Bikepacking-Specific Bags Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 08:05:41 AM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 08:05:41 AM »

Good info.  Thanks Toby.
As a backpacker too, I'm familiar with many of the ultralight gear option$.  Some I already have and others I wouldn't be opposed to replacing.  And I'm with you on preferring not to have a big backpack on while cycling, (must be the old "roadie" in me).  I own a couple of Camelbacks but I rarely wear them, even off-road.  I just haven't been able to get used to the monkey on my back!

I see from your blog that you're from Fort Collins.  We spent a couple of days there last Summer after a backpack trip in RMNP.  Great breweries and a great town!

Topic Name: Bikepacking-Specific Bags Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:24:21 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:24:21 PM »

I've put together a pretty comprehensive Bikepacking Primer here:

http://www.velorutioncycles.com/bikepacking.htm

There is an entire section on bags, and why they work better than panniers for most people.  Hope that helps!

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: Bikepacking-Specific Bags Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 10:01:40 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 10:01:40 AM »

Nice work, Joey!

"Done"

Topic Name: Bikepacking-Specific Bags Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 10:50:02 AM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 10:50:02 AM »

http://www.velorutioncycles.com/bikepacking.htm

There is an entire section on bags, and why they work better than panniers for most people.  Hope that helps!

Wow!  Cool, thanks for that Joey.

We spent a couple of days in Durango on our way home from the same trip I mentioned above.  We were there to see the start of the US Pro Cycling Challenge - Great party!  Great town too!

Topic Name: Bikepacking-Specific Bags Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 11:03:02 AM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 11:03:02 AM »

Shucks... thanks guys.  So far the reaction to the updated version of the primer (created late 2011, updated just last month) has been super-positive.  Glad you guys liked it as well!

www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: Bikepacking-Specific Bags Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 11:12:17 AM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 11:12:17 AM »

I missed your shop when I was in Durango...how did I miss a shop with such a cool name?  Dang!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 02:42:08 PM by JRA » Logged

Topic Name: Bikepacking-Specific Bags Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 12:28:18 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 12:28:18 PM »

Ah well, next time!

www.bedrockbags.com

Topic Name: Bikepacking-Specific Bags Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 02:44:24 PM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 02:44:24 PM »

I'll make a point of it.

Topic Name: Bikepacking-Specific Bags Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 03:49:57 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 03:49:57 PM »

The + for me:
You take less junk
Bike handles better
You tackle harder terrain
HAB is easier
Lighter bike is faster bike
Faster bivvy (because you have less junk to pack)
Life in general is simpler

The negs are just the opposite of above for me.

I only take panniers along when wifey and pet monkey come on trips, they are still learning to minimise their gear (but aren't we always doing that?)

It's an evolutionary process. I look back on photos and slides from family bike touring trips, oh man, my folks carried some stuff, but it was probably the lightest stuff of the day.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: