Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Bivy sacs with poles, which are you using if you do? on: July 26, 2009, 06:36:55 PM
montejw360

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2009, 06:36:55 PM »

I want to purchase a pole supported bivy sac.  Tired of the bivy sac laying on my face, did that for years.

Big Agnes 3-Wire, Black Diamond Lightsabre, Nemo Gogo, Vaude Solo Bivi, Intregal Designs Unishelter Exp, Bibler Bipod Bivy, Bibler Tripod Bivy....

I'm sure there are others, that's just a quick 2 minute google.

Monte

Topic Name: Bivy sacs with poles, which are you using if you do? Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 09:35:55 PM
DaveC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 09:35:55 PM »

I had a Bibler big wall bivy before selling it last year.  It was too heavy and bulky, but the pole/wire arrangement always worked very well for me. 

Topic Name: Bivy sacs with poles, which are you using if you do? Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 07:25:08 AM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 07:25:08 AM »

This year I'm using an OR Advanced Bivy. It's a bit on the heavy/bulky side but I got it for $125. I MIGHT bring along 1 of the poles this year but probably not. I went this route b/c I tried a real basic Rab bivy and didn't dig it and this is something I can use while backpacking too. I really liked the Nemo Go Go but this OR is darn close.

Topic Name: Bivy sacs with poles, which are you using if you do? Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:01:38 AM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:01:38 AM »

Man for the weight of a poled bivy, just carry a tent or tarptent. Seriously!

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Bivy sacs with poles, which are you using if you do? Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 01:57:51 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 01:57:51 PM »

Bingo.  Check out the Henry Shires tarptents.  The 2 person Squall II is about 2 lbs, the Nemo bivy is 1.9.  For the extra space it's tough to beat.  I used the Squall II for a week of bikepacking in central Utah this summer and will probably use it for CTR after looking at DanM's latest pic of ten mile (thanks Dan!).

He (Henry Shires) also has a new one person tarptent coming out shortly that is supposedly ~28 oz.  Weather protection and a vestible for 28 oz?  I'm sold on his stuff so it's in my sights for future racing.

Topic Name: Bivy sacs with poles, which are you using if you do? Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 02:28:13 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 02:28:13 PM »

Yea HS has a few really cool sub 30oz tarptents that will fit 1 or 2.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Bivy sacs with poles, which are you using if you do? Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 06:25:20 PM
montejw360

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 06:25:20 PM »

Yeah, maybe.  Wouldn't a poled bivy would be a bit lighter and pack smaller?  It's really only a bivy with a little more material and a pole.  I'm not looking for the lightest bivy, won't be doing "the tour", and I live in WA, still like to have a floor.

Topic Name: Bivy sacs with poles, which are you using if you do? Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 07:45:11 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 07:45:11 PM »

Not likely but even if they're ballpark close (within a few ounces) you'll be much happier with a tarp tent. Check out Henry Shires Contrail and some of his other options.

IMO bivies are for fast and light travel and deal with the rain as best you can. Significant rain and you need a tarp. Why take a tarp and bivy when you can get a 16oz to 24oz tarptent and sleep out of the rain with lots of room to be comfortable.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Bivy sacs with poles, which are you using if you do? Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 12:01:08 PM
REV

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 12:01:08 PM »

Thoughts on the six moon designs lunar solo?

23 oz with mess and a h2o proof floor

Topic Name: Bivy sacs with poles, which are you using if you do? Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 04:19:14 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 04:19:14 PM »

They seem to be popular tents with the UL backpacker crowd, haven't used one myself.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Bivy sacs with poles, which are you using if you do? Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 01:22:50 PM
12wheels

Bolder Bikepacking Gear

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 01:22:50 PM »

six moon designs lunar solo reviews

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews.html?forum_thread_id=976

Topic Name: Bivy sacs with poles, which are you using if you do? Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 02:41:13 PM
montejw360

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 02:41:13 PM »

Not likely but even if they're ballpark close (within a few ounces) you'll be much happier with a tarp tent. Check out Henry Shires Contrail and some of his other options.

IMO bivies are for fast and light travel and deal with the rain as best you can. Significant rain and you need a tarp. Why take a tarp and bivy when you can get a 16oz to 24oz tarptent and sleep out of the rain with lots of room to be comfortable.

I just found the Contrail.  To me that's a tent.  In my mind a "tarp tent" has no floor.  I could do a Contrail, it's super light for a "tent".  Lighter than some of the bivys I listed.

I must say I am amazed at your TD "touring" kit.  From what I read you could ride without a pack if there was sufficient water sources and good weather up ahead.  Cool.

Topic Name: Bivy sacs with poles, which are you using if you do? Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 02:49:00 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »

True. The line between tarptent and singlewall tent is blurred. Henry used to make lots of floorless versions of his models but very few people want them these days. I guess I think "tent" when free standing with the dedicated long collapsible poles and totally "sealable" and I think tarptent with trekking poles, small straight pole or tied off to a tree, may or may not have floor and definitely singlewall. Either way, for the weight of a complex bivy, just get something with more space.

And yes I was packless on the TD if there was enough water and food ahead. In the end I'm not sure if it matters to be totally packless as long as what goes in your pack is very light. The difference between a pack with pizza and muffins in it compared to the same stuffed in jersey pockets is minimal. Having the pack available is very handy now and then over the course of 3 weeks though! Mine was only 2.25ounces and stuffed down to baseball size when I didn't use it.

-Chris Plesko
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: