Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Cross top brakes + Luggage on: August 22, 2016, 12:14:14 PM
Quixotic geek

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2016, 12:14:14 PM »

Has anyone any experience of fitting front bags to drop bars that have cross top brakes? I like the look of the Apidura and alpkit front bags, but I'm not sure how they will interact with cross top brakes.

Thanks

J

Topic Name: Cross top brakes + Luggage Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 08:04:58 AM
mtn_cyclist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 08:04:58 AM »

I took the top brake lever off my cross bike.

Topic Name: Cross top brakes + Luggage Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 12:43:18 PM
Quixotic geek

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 12:43:18 PM »

Fantastic, that's really useful to know.

However that entirely doesn't answer my question, or help me in anyway shape of form.

Thanks

J

Topic Name: Cross top brakes + Luggage Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 06:23:25 PM
Meadowbolic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 06:23:25 PM »

Its definitely a problem that I haven't seen any good solutions for. I think the best I've worked out is to use a very narrow handlebar roll (~ 6" in diameter) with a long stem (maybe 90 mm or longer) and tuck the roll underneath the stem, pinned to the head tube, so the roll doesn't protrude past the breaks.

Goodluck,
Greg

ROCKGEIST - Bikepack USA
www.rockgeist.com

Topic Name: Cross top brakes + Luggage Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 09:31:54 PM
vermont

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 09:31:54 PM »

Just a thought...  I have done this with my cross top brakes for a completely different reason (to have a place to mount a light and computer).  I have one hose clamp around the stem and two hose clamps around the first clamp and around a piece of handlebar to give me another bar parallel with the handlebar.  Mine is on top but it could be done under the stem and might provide a lower place to mount a bag.  I can't do this due to the brake line that runs in front of the head tube on my LHT but it might be useful to you.
I have also seen people mount a second stem under their current stem but that would require enough fork tubing to hold two stems.

Topic Name: Cross top brakes + Luggage Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 11:13:49 PM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 11:13:49 PM »

I don't see how this situation is different from an MTB with a flat bar.

If you look at this Revelate SweetRoll you will see it uses stackable spacers to gain clearance for the levers.

You can easily make your own spacers from rubber tubing, for example short lengths of car radiator or heater hose with a large enough inside diameter to pass the webbing through.

Another option would be to use a Revelate Harness or a Specialized Burra Handlebar Stabilizer Harness with a drybag.

It's also fairly common practice to lengthen and/or re-route control cables to clear the bag. Google Images has many examples of handlebar bags for your inspiration.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:56:59 PM by RonK » Logged

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: Cross top brakes + Luggage Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 04:49:43 AM
Meadowbolic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 04:49:43 AM »

Ah yes, +1 on the foam spacers, I forgot about those.

ROCKGEIST - Bikepack USA
www.rockgeist.com
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: