Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Cycling Inseam/Stand Over Question for Great Divide on: January 28, 2016, 11:32:41 AM
vulpes_vulpes

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2016, 11:32:41 AM »

Hey all,
Planning a great divide tour this summer and I am looking at bike geometries.

I have a 36.5" cycling inseam, and the frame I am looking at has a 35" standover. Is this enough clearance for a Divide ride?

Topic Name: Cycling Inseam/Stand Over Question for Great Divide Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 12:54:59 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 12:54:59 PM »

Stand over clearance is not considered a valid measurement of bike fit is this age of mountain bikes. Totally irrelevant. One never actually stands over the top tube unless a mistake happens or a rider has extremely poor mounting and dismounting skills (this is the real reason why folks feel they need clearance, because they dont mount and dismount properly as they learned to ride a bike by standing over it to mount it). Cyclocross mount and dismount skills are important to learn as well as trackstands. These techniques eliminate the need to stand over the bike.

I could into detail on this subject. But I will not bore y'all today.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Cycling Inseam/Stand Over Question for Great Divide Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 12:58:11 PM
vulpes_vulpes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 12:58:11 PM »

Stand over clearance is not considered a valid measurement of bike fit is this age of mountain bikes. Totally irrelevant.

Alright, fair enough. I do like to straddle my bike while reading maps and taking short breaks though. I mean you can't honestly be implying that having a SO height of 5 inches higher than your cycling inseam is a good idea, right?

Something I failed to mention is that the bike I am speaking of has an optimal geometry besides the SO height that is in question. So I am not basing my whole fit around the SO measurement, BUT it is the one piece of the fit that I am concerned about.

Topic Name: Cycling Inseam/Stand Over Question for Great Divide Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 01:20:58 PM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 01:20:58 PM »

spread your legs
and lean the bike over between your legs

(forgot to mention left foot goes on the ground and keep one foot on the right pedal as dream4rest added)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:51:42 PM by taprider » Logged

Topic Name: Cycling Inseam/Stand Over Question for Great Divide Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 01:50:38 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 01:50:38 PM »

Alright, fair enough. I do like to straddle my bike while reading maps and taking short breaks though. I mean you can't honestly be implying that having a SO height of 5 inches higher than your cycling inseam is a good idea, right?

Something I failed to mention is that the bike I am speaking of has an optimal geometry besides the SO height that is in question. So I am not basing my whole fit around the SO measurement, BUT it is the one piece of the fit that I am concerned about.
If a rider is looking to size up, stand over may become an issue. The proper sized frame will work for 95% of us unless one has a super short inseam.
If you like to straddle during a break, thats totally ok. Its just improper technique that creates bad riding habits. I always keep one foot on the pedal, one on the ground and I stay in the saddle when I take a break like u describe. Keeps me honest with good form. Trust me u will crash way less and ride better if u learn to mount and dismount on the non drive side of your bike and always trackstand instead of straddling at stoplights and such. When the crap hits the fan moving, instinct takes over. IF one learns good form the ability to easily separate from the bike and end up on your feet or in a good football player type of drop to the ground is much easier than going right to the top tube with the groin and  using Fred Flintstone style stoppie action.

The old rule of 2-3" of clearance is no longer valid.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Cycling Inseam/Stand Over Question for Great Divide Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 01:53:45 PM
vulpes_vulpes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 01:53:45 PM »

Trust me u will crash way less and ride better if u learn to mount and dismount on the non drive side of your bike and always trackstand instead of straddling at stoplights and such. When the crap hits the fan moving, instinct takes over. IF one learns good form the ability to easily separate from the bike and end up on your feet or in a good football player type of drop to the ground is much easier than going right to the top tube with the groin and  using Fred Flintstone style stoppie action.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely look into learning more about that as I am more of a lightweight backpacker than a mountain biker.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: