Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Does your Handle Bar Sling interfere with your thumbshifters? on: January 20, 2012, 10:16:58 AM
mtnbud

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2012, 10:16:58 AM »

I'm looking at trying out a trip this summer and trying to make my own bags.  With just strapping my OR stuff sack to my handlebars, the bag is up against my brakes and thumbshifters.  My breaks are angled slightly downward since I'm using a smallish frame and my seat post is quite high.  Do any of you have a spacer to get the bag away form the thumbshifters and breaks, or do you just live with it?  I can still use my breaks and my thumbshifters, but I was thinking the inconvenience might get annoying after a few hours.  Are there any other tricks to keep the bag away from the thumbshifters.

Thanks for any advice!  thumbsup

Topic Name: Does your Handle Bar Sling interfere with your thumbshifters? Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:22:17 AM
JReeves

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »

For the most part, that is the purpose of the sling.  By putting some reinforcement inside them(plastic mesh/flexible cutting board) it then prevents the bag from completely forming around the shifter essentials.  I was looking at my bars and new dry bag the other day, and it seems like it's inevitable that you'll get some contact between the two, so minimizing the friction and force is the main goal. 

Topic Name: Does your Handle Bar Sling interfere with your thumbshifters? Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 02:25:58 PM
mtnbud

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 02:25:58 PM »

Thanks.  I have a few different materials available for reinforcement in my shop.  I have some lightweight flexible plexiglass, heavyweight thick plexiglass, and some fiberboard.  I'll experiment to see what works best.

Topic Name: Does your Handle Bar Sling interfere with your thumbshifters? Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 01:48:30 PM
Rob Colliver

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 01:48:30 PM »

I used a bit of plastic sheet from an art students painting wallet, purchased from the local craft shop - cost was pretty much zero (my favourite price) and plenty stiff enough to stop the shell collapsing onto the shifters.

Topic Name: Does your Handle Bar Sling interfere with your thumbshifters? Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 03:33:39 PM
Bedrock

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 03:33:39 PM »

I use an Origin8 Space bar and there are no interference issues. I have no plastic support of any kind in my bag. I think the shape of the bar helps in my bar/bag combo. For what it is worth.

Bedrock Bags - Andrew Wracher

Topic Name: Does your Handle Bar Sling interfere with your thumbshifters? Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 07:32:58 PM
mtnbud

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 07:32:58 PM »

Thanks for the replies!  I slipped the plexiglass into my home made sling and it got it away from the thumb shifters.  It's still a bit close to the brakes so I'll need to keep tweaking things.

I'm also wondering if I should place a bit longer cables on my bike?  My front brake cable is too short to allow a handle bar sling snug to the head tube.  I was thinking longer cables all around could really help get the sling in a better position.

About how much weight is a good amount to place in a sling?

Topic Name: Does your Handle Bar Sling interfere with your thumbshifters? Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 05:08:02 PM
bbike

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 05:08:02 PM »

I'm also wondering if I should place a bit longer cables on my bike?  My front brake cable is too short to allow a handle bar sling snug to the head tube.  I was thinking longer cables all around could really help get the sling in a better position.

My brake lines were also on the short side so I cut out a couple of small foam blocks to space the bag out from my bars. I am really happy with how the bag mounts up with these spacers.

Topic Name: Does your Handle Bar Sling interfere with your thumbshifters? Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 07:17:46 PM
mtnbud

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 07:17:46 PM »

Didn't think of foam blocks for spacers.  That's a great idea!  Thanks bbike!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: