Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Down Quilt vs. Down Sleeping Bag what am I missing on: April 04, 2013, 10:21:53 PM
gpshay

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2013, 10:21:53 PM »

I have been searching for a down sleeping bag and have settled on the Montbell Super Spiral Down Hugger #3 [30*degree rating] .. I was watching a video on You Tube about using a Top down Quilt instead of a full sleeping bag which basically is made without a hood and has the back removed ..[the idea of saving the weight since you are laying on the down which then becomes compressed thus not  adding much insulation value if any] made sense to me so I began researching the possibilities .. I do like the quilt idea .. but after looking at weights and stuff size along with the length of the foot boxes it appears I could just unzip [the 67" Zipper ]  on the Montbell bag and use it as a quilt as well .. the weight seems to be within a few ounces of each other .. does anyone see a real advantage of any quilt over the Montbell Bag .. thanks Glenn

Topic Name: Down Quilt vs. Down Sleeping Bag what am I missing Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 10:59:50 AM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 10:59:50 AM »

Unzipping the down bag will mean it won't keep you warm to the same rating, but in practice, this is often what happens to me anyway if I get warm in the night. Bags also have a tendency to slide off during the night and I guess the quilts (never used one myself) with their uninsulated section underneath prevents that.

I have warm weather and cold weather bags but have been intrigued by the quilt idea. I move around a good deal in the night and my cold weather bag in particular is a bit snug. I usually wake up at some point in the night with the hood over my face and all twisted up in the bag. Meh. I work with what I got.

Topic Name: Down Quilt vs. Down Sleeping Bag what am I missing Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 02:07:54 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »

Like you, I didn't see much weight difference between a bag and a quilt. Especially when I discovered a lightweight bag with no zipper--which works great for me. If I get too warm, I just push the top down a bit. Stuffed into a bivy bag, I'm warm and dry no matter where I sleep!

"Done"

Topic Name: Down Quilt vs. Down Sleeping Bag what am I missing Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 06:46:13 AM
gdillon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 06:46:13 AM »

I used a golite quilt last summer. It has straps to lash around the sleeping pad. I definitely prefer a bag, though. Go with the zipper with option, IMO.

Topic Name: Down Quilt vs. Down Sleeping Bag what am I missing Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 11:09:01 AM
MartinFarrent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 11:09:01 AM »

One thing you can't comfortably do with a quilt is to use a lightweight, waterproof emergency bivy bag. Though I have a tent (Lunar Solo), I consider such a bag essential in regions like the Alps... both for sudden bad weather and for deliberate cowboy camping when I can't pitch the tent.

(I carry a Terra Nova Moonlite bivy (under 200g). It also functions as a cover for my NeoAir when my sleeping bag is unzipped, or for additional puncture protection in some situations.)

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: