Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Dynamo front hub: SON vs SuperNova on: March 04, 2013, 01:01:53 PM
Trhoppe

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2013, 01:01:53 PM »

From doing some online research, it seems the SON is the "best one out there" when compared to the Shimanos and a couple others.

I haven't seen much on the Supernova though. Their website says it produces more power, but not much on the drag. It's also 200 grams lighter than the SON. Lastly, it's the same people that make the Plug2. I want one of those too  icon_biggrin

http://supernova-lights.com/en/products/infinity_s_2.html

Too good to be true? Works great? Thoughts? Experiences?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:48:01 PM by Trhoppe » Logged

Topic Name: Dynamo front hub: SON vs SuperNova Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 05:31:12 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 05:31:12 PM »

The Autumn 2012 edition of Bicycle Quarterly had a huge section comparing all of the major dyno hubs that are currently on the market. Their summary was basically that the Son28 and Son Delux are the best out there from an efficiency and durability standpoint. The SP-Dynamo PV-8 (which I think is the Supernova) appears to be a good alternative, but they did have questions about it's durability since it's a relatively new product. They also said that its resistance is a bit higher than the SON, both when switched on or off. But, higher is maybe around 1 - 1.5 watts depending on speed. There also appeared to be some variability between the three samples of the PV-8 that they tested. The Plug2 should work fine with either dynamo.

Hope this helps.

Topic Name: Dynamo front hub: SON vs SuperNova Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 07:16:03 PM
Bluechip

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 07:16:03 PM »

I am going with the SP PV-8 hub and B&M Luxos U headlight with the built in usb charger.  Hard to beat the price of the SP hub.  I've got a while before I tackle the Divide so I can give it a good test beforehand.

Topic Name: Dynamo front hub: SON vs SuperNova Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 11:34:03 PM
pickupel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 11:34:03 PM »

The Supernova hub uses the same internals as the Shutter Precision PV-8, but Supernova have improved the seals and the hub shell. Shutter Precision are apparently happy to license their design and have allowed a couple of companies to use it, including Supernova and Exposure. SP claim that Supernova's upgrade to the hub shell is overkill, designed to make it indestructible in the German winter.

The downside to Supernova's upgrade is that it adds weight (not much) and decreases efficiency. The CTC in the UK conducted a test on a range of dynamo hubs and it ranked the SON hubs at the top of the field, with the SP a close second. The Supernova finished just above the Shimano hubs.

When I was making my decision, with a lot of deliberation, I went with a SON. I've now used both the SON28 (new version) on my MTB, and the SONDelux on my road touring bike. They have performed flawlessly and the drag is completely unnoticeable — even when the hub powering a light or charging a Garmin.

The biggest plus for me in favor of the SON is the reputation of the company for durability. Their hubs have been proven by numerous riders in some fairly inhospitable conditions — something which has since been supported by my own experience. I had concerns over the durability of the SP hub, particularly because Supernova had cause to upgrade the hub shell. Supernova make some quality stuff, the Plug II included, and if they're not happy to put their name on something 'as is', that sends alarm bells for me.

That made it a decision between the Supernova hub and the SON — there is not much in the price between them, and the track-record and efficiency of the SON was enough to convince me.

Topic Name: Dynamo front hub: SON vs SuperNova Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 06:30:08 PM
intheways

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 06:30:08 PM »

My SON28 has been bombproof through a few Seattle winters.  I'm considering swapping it out for a 15mm version.   I may go with SP's version when it comes out depending in the price.

They are well worth the $$$

Topic Name: Dynamo front hub: SON vs SuperNova Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 07:14:44 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 07:14:44 PM »

I don't have it yet, but I too am going with the SON28. I spoke in detail with Peter White about it. His take is that it can provide you plenty of light at night, charge all your stuff during the day (with voltage adapters he can make / provide). Really simplifies the entire electronic thought process of the TD. His take on resistance is that it would take sophisticated resistance measuring equipment to measure the very low drag of the hub.

He convinced me.

Steve

Topic Name: Dynamo front hub: SON vs SuperNova Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 01:42:04 PM
Damnitman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 01:42:04 PM »

...I love my SON's...they have survived living and playing outside in Alaska with no maintenance for 5 years...
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: