Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Dynamo Hub ... on: September 11, 2013, 12:12:51 PM
JevL

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2013, 12:12:51 PM »

I've seen to many possibility's the last weeks..
I want to buy a Fargo at the end of the year. I also want to build a dynamo hub on it, so I can produce my own energy.
I was first thinking of getting a Exposure Revo light with the Plug II. But this is pretty expensive :|
I don't have a light yet so I wan't to buy this also. The dynamo hub should power my Garmin Edge 800 and my light.

I know that Mike Hall used exactly this set-up, but does my Edge 800 survive with only the dynamo hub? Or do I still need a power socket after a while?

Help is greatly appreciated!

Topic Name: Dynamo Hub ... Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 12:12:03 PM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 12:12:03 PM »

Last weekend I finally got around to building up a wheel** for the Exposure Revo. Got the Revo and [quick-release, 32-spoke disc] hub thru Wiggle for a really low price, back in late spring [price has crept up since then]. The build-quality/touch/feel of the Revo light and hub seems very high [I haven't had it that long, so I can only be subjective].
Only thing I don't like about the Revo, and I knew this going in, is that there is no on-off switch. Right now, I'm mostly riding with it plugged in and on. Although the light output does diminish when stopped, it's still seems as bright as a 200-300 lumen light for 5+ minutes.
Don't yet have a USB charger. I'm going to do one of two things in the next week.
1-Just wire in a SPST sub-miniature on-off toggle switch or...
2-Order a LightCharge dynamo charger [Amazon has them], which will give me both on-off switch and a USB charger. [I know nothing about the quality of the LightCharge and this will be a ~$65 gambling experiment.]
Another option you might consider...
Order a Shutter Precision [SP] PD-8 hub off of eBay, currently about $130, and source a B&M Luxos U light from Peter White Cycling or a Euro/UK shop off the web. Seems like Europe/AUS/NZ/UK is way ahead of the the US for dynamo lighting. Luxos U has a built-in USB port.
BTW, my understanding about the Exposure/USE hub: it's just a slightly different build [seals, bearings?] of the PD-8 hub and essentially just as good as the SON and much lighter than the Shimano hubs.

Want a 15mm thru-axle hub? Production for the 15mm version of the SP hub, the PD-8X, is starting to trickle thru on eBay. I believe the only other 15mm choice [SON?] is very expensive. Sold out auction price I saw for the PD-8X was ~$200 USD.

One more thought - I don't think you can expect to run a light and get full charging at the same time. With the light on, the majority of the hub's power is going to be used for lighting. The 'one or the other' design of the LightCharge device seems to reinforce this. However, with the light switched off, the hub can at least partially charge and/or sustain the run-time of your USB device. Charge in the day and light at night. Using the hub to charge battery packs, which then powers USB devices, is another option. However, the complication seems like another 'system' to manage, maintain and be distracted by...
-Barry

**I built up a 29er wheel for my MotoB Ti hardtail - Stan's Crest rim, 32 DT 2.0-1.5 mm spokes and Al nipples.

I've seen to many possibility's the last weeks..
...I also want to build a dynamo hub on it, so I can produce my own energy.
I was first thinking of getting a Exposure Revo light with the Plug II. But this is pretty expensive :|
I don't have a light yet so I wan't to buy this also. The dynamo hub should power my Garmin Edge 800 and my light.

I know that Mike Hall used exactly this set-up, but does my Edge 800 survive with only the dynamo hub? Or do I still need a power socket after a while?

Help is greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 12:17:41 PM by Yogi the Barry » Logged

Topic Name: Dynamo Hub ... Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 02:20:49 PM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 02:20:49 PM »

Guess we should be having this discussion at the former thread...

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,5938.0.html

Topic Name: Dynamo Hub ... Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 12:50:15 PM
wunnspeed

SpoK Werks - Handmade Cycling Goods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 12:50:15 PM »

I'm running a Supernova E3 Triple with a Shimano dyno hub (for sale if anyone is interested....message me) which is soon to be replaced by a Supernova dyno hub. It's really a relief not having to worry about batteries, etc.

Michael Cleveland - SpoK Werks bikepacking gear
SpoK Werks Etsy
SpoK Werks FB
Big Wheel Racing Europe

Topic Name: Dynamo Hub ... Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 10:04:51 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 10:04:51 PM »

I'm running the Schmidt Son28, (29er) USB-Werks and Supernova light. Daytime, with light off, charges phone (music) OR runs etrex 30. Night with light on, nothing extra to charge a device. I must say the light is remarkably bright even at low speeds. HAB, the light will pulsate when barley moving. Completely satisfied.  thumbsup

Topic Name: Dynamo Hub ... Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 03:35:11 AM
paul78

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 03:35:11 AM »

Also worth checking out K Lite in Australia (http://www.klite.com.au/)

These guys are producing some top quality dynamo light products and also can custom make any additional extras you like.

Good examples of their work on their facebook page ... https://www.facebook.com/kLite.com.au?fref=ts

I have a nice switch made by K Lite that switches between my Exposure Revo and a battery pack or USB.  Will be switching to a K lite light soon too.

Topic Name: Dynamo Hub ... Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 03:36:27 PM
richpips

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 03:36:27 PM »

Yep Kerry at K Lite is currently making me a dynamo set up.

A 1000 lumen dynamo driven light for the night time with a separate battery that will charge during the day, which will then run a headlamp at night and be able to charge USB devices.

Unlike most rechargeable batteries which use 18650 cells this one uses AA cells (4 or 6) which I think gives more flexibility.

Topic Name: Dynamo Hub ... Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 03:18:21 AM
JevL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 03:18:21 AM »

I'm running the Schmidt Son28, (29er) USB-Werks and Supernova light. Daytime, with light off, charges phone (music) OR runs etrex 30. Night with light on, nothing extra to charge a device. I must say the light is remarkably bright even at low speeds. HAB, the light will pulsate when barley moving. Completely satisfied.  thumbsup
I will probably go for the e-werk. Maybe with the buffer batterie.
But now I see the b+m lumotec IQ2 Luxos U senso plus with usb port. This looks like a great solution as well, someone has experience with this?

Topic Name: Dynamo Hub ... Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 06:46:25 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 06:46:25 AM »

i played with a usb-werk - awesome piece of kit. it has a small buffer in it. worked with my go pro and iPhone. have not seen the iq2 in action, but i like that its all integrated.

Topic Name: Dynamo Hub ... Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 08:02:47 PM
AndyAmick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 08:02:47 PM »

I'm looking at getting a Luxos U because of the USB charger that's built in.  Makes sense that it can't charge a GPS via USB and run the light at the same time. 

Are there any dynamo setups that can do that over multiple days of night riding?  Or is it just a limitation of the output from the dynamo and at night I would have to rely on GPS battery power?

Topic Name: Dynamo Hub ... Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 10:00:27 AM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 10:00:27 AM »

Infinity s with airstream light and plug III?  Thinking about throwing down the cash. Any good/bad comments on these? $700 seems a lot of money.... Blah!

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh

Topic Name: Dynamo Hub ... Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 10:58:31 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 10:58:31 AM »

To get a built-in USB charger, I was thinking about selling my Exposure Revo and buying either a Luxos U or AXA Luxx 70 Plus. But now I think it might be a nice to build a connector/switch box and use one of these:
http://www.brightbikelabs.com/products/bright-bike-revolution
If there's an internal problem with the light, I still have a USB charger. If the charger dies, I still have a light. If all I need is a light, I leave the USB charger off the bike.
-B
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:07:29 PM by Yogi the Barry » Logged

Topic Name: Dynamo Hub ... Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 04:33:14 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 04:33:14 PM »

I also am considering the Exposure hub/light combo.  And with said hub I might as well get a USB charger. 

To tie them together I would like to use a simple, waterproof, 3-way switch:
1)   Light position
2)   Off position
3)   USB Charger position

Anyone out there know of such a ready-made switch?

One could fab up a small waterproof 3-position toggle switch to accomplish the task-- but I am hoping someone knows of a light or dynamo hub manufacturer who has a plug & play switch with appropriate connectors etc etc

Topic Name: Dynamo Hub ... Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 08:31:03 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 08:31:03 AM »

No ready made switch I know of, but a good winter night project to make your own:

Fab your own aluminum bracket, and source hardware from someone like this...
http://www.minute-man.com
DPDT sub-mini toggle = Philmore 30-10052
Rubber boot = Philmore 30-1001
Perhaps your bracket can have three Philmore 340 jacks and you can use plugs which have the same EIAJ Cl-2 dimensions [Philmore 240/340 = 1.7 mm x 4.0 mm] as the Exposure plugs and jacks.
Stock Exposure cable from hub plugs into one of the jacks, which is wired to the toggle switch. "ON" circuits from toggle switch go to two 340 jacks. One short cable with 240 plugs on each end goes to light, the other "ON" jack goes to your USB charger device.
Solder all the connections and seal up the back of the rubber-booted toggle switch with silicone. If toggle switch fails, you can always unplug the hub supply wire and plug directly to the light.

On a side rant - Too bad the Exposure Revo just doesn't have a built-in USB charger. Are you listening Exposure? I wonder what the output is from the "Taillight" connector on the back of the Revo? I was going to buy one of their Redeye Micro taillights to plug into the back of the Revo head and use that as a dashboard light to illuminate the display of my eTrex 30 GPS. I've heard the Redeye Micro is pretty worthless as a taillight, but perhaps it puts out enough light for that...
-Barry
I also am considering the Exposure hub/light combo.  And with said hub I might as well get a USB charger.  

To tie them together I would like to use a simple, waterproof, 3-way switch:
1)   Light position
2)   Off position
3)   USB Charger position

Anyone out there know of such a ready-made switch?

One could fab up a small waterproof 3-position toggle switch to accomplish the task-- but I am hoping someone knows of a light or dynamo hub manufacturer who has a plug & play switch with appropriate connectors etc etc

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:33:59 AM by Yogi the Barry » Logged

Topic Name: Dynamo Hub ... Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 10:57:31 PM
mtntraveler

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 10:57:31 PM »

You should check the facebook page of kLite at www.facebook.com/kLite.com.au.  He made a similar switch system for me and makes custom dynamo light and wiring harness on request.   

Topic Name: Dynamo Hub ... Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 09:55:43 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 09:55:43 PM »

Yogi the Barry &  mtntraveler

Thanks for the feedback!

what do you guys think of this: http://www.klite.com.au/#!New-ORANGE-kits-now-SELLING/c1xn2/FC564444-092F-4F08-BF1D-B8CE2D766676

maybe overkill for the TDR but for touring or bikepacking in general...........

Topic Name: Dynamo Hub ... Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 08:33:58 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 08:33:58 AM »

Re: Orange Kits
Looks like a great kit, but I don't like the added weight of any charging system which is battery buffered. Yes, I'm a fully infected weight weenie. If you correspond with K-Lite's Kerry, he will share with you his design reasoning, as a result of his experience with any direct charger lacking a battery buffer. I don't want to speak for Kerry, but he basically told me he experienced 100% failure with any USB direct charging device - "light charge, plug 1,2 pedal power unit, b2b" - as a result of low frequency ripple killing the attached USB device or the charger itself failing.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: