Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Edge 1030 vs eTrex 32x vs Phone - Which GPS unit should I buy/use? on: March 16, 2021, 11:48:48 AM
gregandrebarrett

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2021, 11:48:48 AM »

Please provide me your input and recommendation on whether I should purchase and use a Garmin Edge 1030 or Garmin eTrex 32x for bikepacking long routes/tracks of up to 4,000kms, while reducing the number of sub tracks needed to fit the units limits. I want to use one of these units as my primary/secondary along with my Samsung 10+ (with RideWithGps). For example this summer I have created a route in RideWithGPS that is 3,883 kms. I have an older Edge 800 and eTrex 20 that I want to replace. I know the eTrex units in their spec are limited to 10,000 points per ?track?. For a particular segment of my route 10,000 points is about 400km. I know that track points per km depends on the route curvature complexity. The Edge units are in their spec limited to 200 points per ?course?. I was able to load onto my Edge 800 a track segment of 23,724 points and 850km. Garmin support told me that the Edge is limited to 200 points per ?course? or ?track? and that the unit reduces the points to 200. This means that the 850km track accuracy was reduced from 23,724 points to 200 points or 99%! A quick visual inspection of the route in the Edge doesn?t show that the route is inaccurate approximated by 200 points/straight lines. So should I buy Garmin Edge 1030 or Garmin eTrex 32x for bikepacking long routes/tracks of up to 4,000kms, that will minimize the number of sub tracks that will have to be created to fit the units limits?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 07:19:42 AM by gregandrebarrett » Logged

Topic Name: Edge 1030 vs eTrex 32x vs Phone - Which GPS unit should I buy/use? Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 08:23:02 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 08:23:02 AM »

I don't have a lot of experience with massively long routes on those two devices, so I don't know that I can answer your exact question. I've been using an eTrex 20x and Edge Touring (both substantially lower models than what you're looking at) and never had any issues with route detail for 1-3 day rides.

The way the devices behave is pretty different, so if they both can handle your route size, you'll want to think about the features you're actually looking for. The Edge is really a cycling specific unit. It is designed to sit in its mount, out in front of your bike, and give you a constant stream of navigational info as you ride. The eTrex is really aimed at hiking, more expecting you to check it periodically, and then stuff it back in your pocket. The Edge uses a rechargeable battery, so you need to either have a USB backup battery, or stop in town to top off. The eTrex meanwhile uses AA batteries, so you can just grab a handful and head off into the wilderness.

Personally I prefer the Edge for any biking I do, and sold off my eTrex ages ago, but now that I'm getting back into some non-bike sports, I bought an eTrex to support hiking and kayaking.

Topic Name: Edge 1030 vs eTrex 32x vs Phone - Which GPS unit should I buy/use? Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 08:34:01 AM
gregandrebarrett

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 08:34:01 AM »

Thanks for your reply. I've purchased and starting to use the Edge 1030 Plus. The Edge can handle a longer route than the eTrex with still enough accuracy -- roughly 800k vs 400k. The Edge will use its maximum points to handle routes much longer than 800k at the loss of accuracy. The eTrex maintains its accuracy up to 10,000 points maximum and then won't accept a route larger. Battery life is not an issue for me as I have a dynamo hub that can keep the Edge charged and carry one/more cache batteries.   
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: