Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: First bike packing trip, the great divide a few questions on: February 02, 2016, 05:52:07 PM
TigerT

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2016, 05:52:07 PM »

Hello all, I am new to the forum but I am super excited to finally be planning a big bike trip, I have two fairly easy questions that I was wondering if someone could provide some insight.

I am planning to do the great divide ride with a friend this year and I have already booked off the time at
my work, august 6Th is the date we are leaving. We are only doing the Canadian portion and stopping in
Whitefish Montana.

I was wondering what you more experienced riders would recommend for a sleeping bag during august,
I have been eyeing a down sleeping bag rated for 0c that packs down to 5L 

I'm super excited about this trip though, I bought a axiom streamliner rack for my 29er and two panniers
as well as a handlebar bag I plan to lash a dry bag underneath the handlebar bag that I bought with a dry
bag, and put the sleeping pad and sleeping bag inside. 

do any of you bring a pillow? I saw a nice pillow that packs down into quite a small foot print at MEC
made by thermarest. Seems like a neck that is in a good shape would go a long way.

Topic Name: First bike packing trip, the great divide a few questions Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 10:40:08 PM
TigerT

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 10:40:08 PM »

I was thinking about this bag but I am not sure if it would be too cold/too warm

http://www.mec.ca/product/5025-510/mec-aquila-sleeping-bag-0c-unisex/

Topic Name: First bike packing trip, the great divide a few questions Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 07:29:18 AM
Flounder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 07:29:18 AM »

The only pillow I use is the Sea to Summit inflatables because they pack down to nothing. The Thermarest pillows are way too big. I'm also a big fan of Sea to Summit's sleeping bags, but they're a steep investment. One of my recommendations for a lower price point is something from the Mountain Hardware Lamina range (synthetic).

Topic Name: First bike packing trip, the great divide a few questions Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 10:54:31 AM
TigerT

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 10:54:31 AM »

Well I picked up a nice marmot sawtooth sleeping bag, it's a down sleeping bag rated for -9c, so I hope I am not too warm but I would like to be safe, I know you can get snow storms in August from some of the things I have read.  The bag is 2.5lbs and uncompressed is about 8L. So I hope I bought a good bag for the trip.

My next step is getting a compression / dry bag and a stove, my problem is I have no idea what I am going to eat! So I have no idea what type of stove I will need. I have to start looking into that if anyone has any suggestions for me. (My Wife does pretty much all the cooking at home.....)

Topic Name: First bike packing trip, the great divide a few questions Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 03:51:27 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 03:51:27 AM »

What kind of pace do you expect to be riding? The number of miles per day can determine how often you stop to replenish food. For myself, the only hot meals will be when I pass by an open restaurant. On the road/trail, it'll be cold items.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: