Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: frame bag for road touring questions on: June 13, 2017, 06:19:02 AM
vermont

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2017, 06:19:02 AM »

Right now I'm not thinking about a frame bag because of two concerns, water and wind.
If a camel back bladder holds at least two water bottles worth of water, it seems to be an improvement to carry a water bladder in the frame bag.  Do people run hydration hoses to the handlebars?  And would it be harder to suck the water up in direction (opposed to directly on your back)?  That would seem to take care of my water concerns.
How to frame bags handle cross winds?  I believe that a frame bag would work for a mountain bike, but what about the road specifically.
Since I DIY things, I could probably make one for 10-15 dollars so if my worries are not a big deal then it would be a nice lighter weight alternative to a rack.
Thanks,

Topic Name: frame bag for road touring questions Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 05:37:53 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »

IMG_4639 by Mike, on Flickr

IF Rolling so Nicely by Mike, on Flickr

I run a PR bag now on my road / gravel / brevet bike. Hydro bladder with in-line filter (as needed) and hose to handlebar. Cross wind? Haven't noticed. Maybe if I were riding down the coast and had inconsistent but powerful gusts all day long... but its never been an issue.

Topic Name: frame bag for road touring questions Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 05:57:05 PM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 05:57:05 PM »

I carry a 2 litre bladder in my frame bag with a drink tube attached. It's not at all difficult to drink from it while riding.

As for cross winds - the side area of frame bags is barely any more than pannier bags. I notice no difference to wind resistance in cross winds and significantly less in headwinds.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 06:00:32 PM by RonK » Logged

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: frame bag for road touring questions Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 07:04:57 PM
Meadowbolic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 07:04:57 PM »

No problems with cross winds either. For the bladder hose, I've found an in-line connection to be helpful to add length to the hose (so you can drink more upright) and some of the in-line connections you can fill with a quick-connect so you don't have to remove the bladder from the frame bag. If you're going to DIY or a custom build, consider adding a removable horizontal divider and have the bladder sit on either the upper or lower half for better organization. I like mine on the lower (bottom) half to keep the weight low.

Cheers,
Greg

ROCKGEIST - Bikepack USA
www.rockgeist.com
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: