Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Freeload Racks on: August 19, 2010, 02:46:33 PM
rockymtnrider

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2010, 02:46:33 PM »

Has anyone used a Freeload rack or seen one in use? I saw them in a issue of Dirtrag that a friend gave me because it had a bike packing section. Here is a link: http://www.freeload.co.nz/pages/13/Products
But they are sold out and I just wanted to know if you have used one and is it a good product?

Topic Name: Freeload Racks Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 05:10:03 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 05:10:03 PM »

Hmmm, PannierMan is interested too!

"Done"

Topic Name: Freeload Racks Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 05:11:53 PM
Spoonie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 05:11:53 PM »

Yes I have, I've been testing one for a local magazine.

I would say it depends on what you want to use it for. in its current incarnation, I couldn't fit any of the panniers I had access to, to the deck.  but they're hinting at new decks in the future so yeah.

...that kinda mostly leaves it suitable for strapping stuff on top.  the curved deck makes that a little annoying in some cases.   It's also a little short so larger dry bags tend to flop over on either end.   Also, don't bother with the supplied bungees; they didn't last long once I started doing some "real" mountain biking with it.

it wasn't far off the claimed weight to which end, if you're left just strapping stuff to the top then would a carousel or epic designs seat bag be better?

Mounting was reliable, though you may need to do some cable re-routing if it runs down your seat stays.

A new deck and it'd be a top rack I think.... otherwise at the cost it's a little heavy for the light weight bike packing set.   Possibly a little more flexible in use than a seat bag though...

HTH

Cheers
Craig

Solo-Nutter (defn): A member of an elite breed of hardened idiot...
SpoonBoy

Topic Name: Freeload Racks Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 05:18:19 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 05:18:19 PM »

Wow, thanks for the great review Craig! Thanks for all of the details. Looks like a good concept, but maybe needs some refinement.

"Done"

Topic Name: Freeload Racks Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 06:28:31 PM
Spoonie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 06:28:31 PM »

Yup... that's the impression I got from using it.    I couldn't fault the mounting system, run full length outers (so cable routing wasn't an issue), I just felt the (interchangeable) deck let it down a little...

You might be able to get a brand of pannier to fit the current deck.  I've certainly seen photos with panniers mounted (admittedly on the freeload site).   The problem for me was getting the hooks into the outside edge.   whether they'd stand up to weight on the outside hoops I don't know, but given you're generally putting load through them for straps anyway I don't see why not. 

...or wait till they release a more pannier friendly deck system.

If my epic design bags don't turn up, I'll (hopefully, assuming I can still keep it for a bit longer) be using it in anger for another 7-800kms in a weeks time though.   I racked up (ha! geddit!? Smiley a bit under 1000km's of dirt time with it for the review though

Cheers
Craig

SpoonBoy

Topic Name: Freeload Racks Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 07:36:00 AM
otis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »

The word I have from the company is that a more pannier-friendly deck will be part of the new shipment in October.

The main question for me is... how difficult really is it to put together and mount on the bike?     I am thinkin of getting one for an overseas trip... but I will need to install it while I am over there, and I don't want to use a whole day of my trip trying to get the thing on...

Topic Name: Freeload Racks Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 09:30:20 PM
Spoonie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 09:30:20 PM »

The word I have from the company is that a more pannier-friendly deck will be part of the new shipment in October.

The main question for me is... how difficult really is it to put together and mount on the bike?     I am thinking of getting one for an overseas trip... but I will need to install it while I am over there, and I don't want to use a whole day of my trip trying to get the thing on...

Yeah,  they were at eurobike or some such.  I've seen photos but not an actual deck yet. 

In terms of getting it on.  I'd say have a go at home first.  I spent a few minutes going w.t.f!?  but then read the instructions and it's been simple and straight forward ever since.  Loosen all the bolts, strap it on, tighten up all the bolts.  I will say, I've found the bolt heads (4mm allen key) a little soft.  I can be a little meat handed at times but I felt these were rediculously soft.  I'd be tempted to swap them all out for a better quality set of bolts with a 5mm bolt head.   It's also annoying that the bolt heads are 4mm and the ratchet for the straps is 5mm....  see above.

If travelling with the rack and plan to get it on and off at either ends, make sure you put the green release key somewhere where you're not likely to lose it.    I'd dare say though, that if you're planning to just stick it all in a bike box, you might be able to get your rack on before you leave and just leave it there.  Just take a 5mm allen key then to snitch up the webbing straps before you ride.

If you won't have the rack untill you get there and have various cables running down your seat stays, make sure you have full length outers from at least your top tube, a little bit of slack in the length,  and come armed with snips and cable ties.   This will increase your chances of getting it on without problems.  I can get mine on and off now with about 15mins tops

HTH

Cheers
Spoonie

SpoonBoy

Topic Name: Freeload Racks Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 09:58:02 PM
otis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 09:58:02 PM »

Thanks Spoonie - I am doing some fully supported trail rides when I first get over there, so won't be any need for the rack at that point... and also want to travel with it dismantled just so it is one less thing on the bike when I check it in.

Once  have finished the trail rides, I will be setting the bike up for bikepacking/semi-loaded touring.

The guy in the bike shop seemed to have a fair bit of trouble in setting the Freeload up for a demo...

I have a disc-compatible Topeak rack at home.... I am starting to lean toward just using that.   My Jamis Dragon has rack mounts, it seems like taking the wheel off and mounting the Topeak might be easier than putting the Freeload together.   Well no rush... will have a bit more of a play around between now and then...

Topic Name: Freeload Racks Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 02:13:11 AM
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 02:13:11 AM »

Hi guys,
A friend just alerted me to this thread, so I thought I should introduce myself and let you know a little more about the new products...
I'm one of the designers from Freeload- its great to read your comments, its always good to hear feedback from users- especially when they've identified issues!

Thanks for posting such detailed advice Craig- you've highlighted the key issues with the current product nicely, and we're glad to be able to finally offer some better solutions to these... we haven't had a chance to update the info on our website yet, and realistically these new products aren't going to be available for a couple of months yet, but I thought it best to get some information and images out there now seeing as people are talking about it.

Firstly, the new deck- we designed this to alleviate problems with pannier attachment, and top loading longer items.
It features a 10mm rail, with 75mm of fore/aft adjustment- this serves to give heel clearance on bikes with shorter back ends, lets you pull the load closer to the bike when mounted on the fork, and also allows you to set your panniers up so that they don't slide back and forth making noise.
It clicks on and off in the same way as the original deck.

Secondly, we've also introduced some bolt on side frames- these simply attach directly onto the ends of the aluminium rails of the new deck, and fasten to the rack's frame
via a hook and quick release arrangement.
These frames are intended as extra support for people using larger, or floppy panniers. Many smaller and relatively rigid panniers work fine with just the deck, provided the  lower attachment fits the oversize tubing of the racks frame.
These side frames move with the rail, and have the same fore/aft adjustment, as well as offering options for height of your panniers. The photo's aren't that clear, but you can just make out the slots around the perimeter of the frames which give more options for securing your load... we've found that even the best panniers on the market tend to be let down by their attachment systems when it comes to riding off road, and require extra straps to keep things together.

Craig- you're right about the bungees... we haven't been happy with those either so they're gone now... we'll bring out some webbing straps some time soon instead.
Its interesting to hear you've found the hardware to be sub-standard... we'll look into that.
Its worth noting that, should you lose the release key- you can substitute a small flat bladed screwdriver or similar... something small enough to fit the hole, and strong enough to lift the ratchet pin. We've aimed to design the racks to be as field repairable as possible- so any feedback you have around issues like this we'd love to hear.

Whew! I hope that answers some of your questions...
I should also mention that we've got a few new products in the works too... including some of our own panniers aimed more at the off road market, as well as some ultra light
gear mounting systems, and new ideas for utility and work situations.... however- getting these products totally refined is our number one priority!

Cheers

Tim

* New deck.jpg (99.39 KB, 360x640 - viewed 272 times.)

* Side frames.jpg (104.35 KB, 640x360 - viewed 265 times.)

* New deck CAD.jpg (51.15 KB, 425x261 - viewed 262 times.)

* Side frames CAD.jpg (96.7 KB, 416x462 - viewed 269 times.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 02:52:16 AM by Tim » Logged

Topic Name: Freeload Racks Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 12:56:24 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 12:56:24 PM »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for jumping into the thread. Nice to see a manufacturer willing to engage!

Cheers,
Toby

"Done"
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: