Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Freeze Dried Food on: April 23, 2012, 03:27:12 PM
mtnbound

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2012, 03:27:12 PM »

For those looking to travel light and fast (i.e. no cooking), has anyone tried to use freeze dried food by adding water and waiting (maybe 30 minutes?) and then eating on the trail?  I have never tried it but heard a rumor that it works OK, though obviously it's not warm food.

Topic Name: Freeze Dried Food Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:31:20 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:31:20 PM »

For those looking to travel light and fast (i.e. no cooking), has anyone tried to use freeze dried food by adding water and waiting (maybe 30 minutes?) and then eating on the trail?  I have never tried it but heard a rumor that it works OK, though obviously it's not warm food.
Yep, I've done this--and it mostly works. Some things hydrate better than others, but everything seems to hydrate well enough to be eaten. Just drink a little extra water, and you'll be fine!

"Done"

Topic Name: Freeze Dried Food Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 03:47:18 PM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 03:47:18 PM »

I've done this quite a bit.  Use a bit less water than the package calls for.  Just like eating cold leftovers.  30 minutes usually does the trick.  I put the bag in another ziplock to protect against spills in my pack and let the food rehydrate while I'm riding. 
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: