Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Front roll and gear shifting problems on: July 01, 2016, 06:05:29 AM
Britt

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2016, 06:05:29 AM »

With my front roll on bike I get gear shifting problems.  I use a oveja negra front roll and lunch box. I have tried different ways to mount roll but still get problems. Roll is on top of all my cables and causes gears to not shift very smooth.  Any suggestions.  Thank you.

Topic Name: Front roll and gear shifting problems Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 07:34:51 AM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 07:34:51 AM »

With my sweetroll, I have to rotate my shifters and brakes to make it work properly.  Both end up in a position that I wouldn't want to run while racing XC, but they work just fine for medium paced bikepacking trips.

So, my only advice is to move the controls around.  Maybe experiment with cables in front of bag and behind the bag.  One of the two positions should help.

Topic Name: Front roll and gear shifting problems Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 09:48:55 AM
dave

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 09:48:55 AM »

If the shifting is compromised because the cables are forced to make tight turns or otherwise awkward runs, this can sometimes be fixed by simply having the shift cable and housing replaced with longer ones so that they aren't forced into tight bends by your bags.

Topic Name: Front roll and gear shifting problems Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 01:21:08 PM
bpeschka

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 01:21:08 PM »

My favorite shop guy put on new cables, leaving them at the longest stock lengths.  This allowed me to put my sweetroll and separate thermarest rolled under the cables.  Now, now conflict.

Topic Name: Front roll and gear shifting problems Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 05:42:26 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 05:42:26 AM »

As Dave says. Restring your bike with longer cable sleeves. I did it for my bike which has a Jones bar. Brakes and shift cables are long enough that a front roll bag doesn't cause any binding issues. You also might need to adjust shifter and brake lever angles a bit too.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: