Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Fuel Canister under downtube on: September 22, 2016, 11:49:30 AM
thesonofhans

SHA-WING!

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2016, 11:49:30 AM »

Hey,

I've seen many people strapping their white gas fuel bottles to their downtube near the BB.  Anyone strap an iso fuel canister there?  I'd be concerned of rocks being kicked up an potentially puncturing it which would cause a miniplosion.

I normally nestle a medium sized one in my pot, but am thinking of bringing a large one on my next trip as I'll be in the woods for a few weeks at a time.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Feedback?

Thanks!

It ain't an adventure until something goes wrong.

Topic Name: Fuel Canister under downtube Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 04:57:58 PM
black_labb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 04:57:58 PM »

My first thought is that I wouldn't want to carry a few weeks of fuel in isobutane unless you were used it very sparingly. When going weeks without services I've used wood burning stoves (a bushbuddy) and carried a 20g chimney alcohol stove and a small amount of alcohol fuel for when it is too much work to prep wood (after a couple days of rain). A liquid fuel stove would be my next choice for long term use.

If you did want to use isobutane canisters strapping it to the downtube shouldn't be too bad if you cover it in some sort of bag, especially if it has a bit of padding. This should protect it from kicked up stones and sticks. I'd be wary of obstacles that you could drop the bike onto (fallen trees etc). Even it it doesn't pierce you don't want to make the fuel bottle unusable if you have a long time period before you can get to services and not be able to eat the food you've packed. 

Topic Name: Fuel Canister under downtube Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 08:27:29 PM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 08:27:29 PM »

I don't put all my eggs in one basket - always take two canisters in case of leaks.
And I find two smaller canisters easier to stow.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: Fuel Canister under downtube Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 07:41:38 PM
ice-breaker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 07:41:38 PM »

I have carried a fuel canister in a water bottle cage on my front forks. I use a bungee cord to hold it in place on rough terrain.  Works quite well.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: