Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Getting along with your sleeping equipment on: March 31, 2012, 04:03:02 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« on: March 31, 2012, 04:03:02 PM »

I finished an S24O this morning and as I was thinking through the night's events, I'm beginning to think that I am just not getting along well with my mummy bag. I've used it a number of times over the last two years and each time I come back a bit frustrated. I tend to be a stomach sleeper, and I usually flip from side to side throughout the night. I am getting a bit tangled in the bag, especially if it's zipped all the way up. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, are you just dealing with it, or did you change bags or try something else?

Topic Name: Getting along with your sleeping equipment Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 07:31:50 AM
Mojoe

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 07:31:50 AM »

Have you ever tried leaving it unzipped and just using it like an overquilt with your feet in the footbox? I do that in my hammock when it's warm enough and it gives me more wiggle room.

If you go with a bag like the Big Agnes, with a pad sleeve on the bottom, and slide your pad in it, it may help keep the bag in place. I have slid my pad between my bivy bag and sleeping bag when cold weather hammocking, and keeps the bag in place better.

Good luck!

Topic Name: Getting along with your sleeping equipment Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 07:46:17 AM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 07:46:17 AM »

The overquilt method in the hammock has worked well, and that's what I normally do now in the hammock. Not sure how to address this when I'm in the bivy. I might try the overquilt method some night to see how it works.

Topic Name: Getting along with your sleeping equipment Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 08:31:10 AM
Flounder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 08:31:10 AM »

Try a Thermarest Alpine Down comforter with the sheet. It's pretty amazing. It will rival the comfort of your bed at home. Plus, it's crazy light.

Topic Name: Getting along with your sleeping equipment Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 03:47:35 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 03:47:35 PM »

When I'm mummied up, my bag turns with me. I own a half dozen sleeping bags, and I use them all this way. If mummying up isn't needed, I do as Mojoe describes, comforter style with me moving under/in it.

Respectfully, it sounds like you may not be a sound sleeper. Of course elevation can impede sleep, and that sometimes messes with me above 10k'. Once in a while I'll feel really wired while trying to bed down. When I feel that coming on I'll down half a Vicodin, and an hour later I'm counting sheep no matter what. YMMV.

Topic Name: Getting along with your sleeping equipment Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 04:08:46 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 04:08:46 PM »

No offense taken. I do shift a lot during the night. I know that I tend to roll inside of the bag itself, rather than rolling it with me. Guess my subconscious needs some sleep training. Cheesy  I tend to not sleep too soundly when camping for whatever reason. I know this last time I didn't have a pillow or anything under my head so that might have made some difference. Guess I'll have to keep sleeping in it and see if I can get used to it.

Topic Name: Getting along with your sleeping equipment Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 04:37:58 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 04:37:58 PM »

No pillow...how did you get sleep at all? icon_biggrin

When rolling over, grabbing the inside of the bag at chest level keeps it mostly oriented as you turn.

Of course you can use whatever soft stuff with you to customize your sleeping surface. It's worth the effort for better sleep, and you'll be warmer than with a pad only.

Chamomile tea also works well as a knock-out regimen, I've found.

Happy  sleepy1

Topic Name: Getting along with your sleeping equipment Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 10:22:32 PM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 10:22:32 PM »

If you go with a bag like the Big Agnes, with a pad sleeve on the bottom, and slide your pad in it, it may help keep the bag in place. I have slid my pad between my bivy bag and sleeping bag when cold weather hammocking, and keeps the bag in place better.

Good luck!

I've never had a problem with my Big Agnes bag and pad. the pad slides right into the bag keeping insulation on the bottom and saving weight! win win! and when i twist and turn, which i do alot. The pad keeps the bag in place!

Just and idea, but one of my best camping investments I've ever made!!!

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: Getting along with your sleeping equipment Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 08:04:15 AM
rascaltwitch

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 08:04:15 AM »

When I'm mummied up, my bag turns with me. I own a half dozen sleeping bags, and I use them all this way. If mummying up isn't needed, I do as Mojoe describes, comforter style with me moving under/in it.

Respectfully, it sounds like you may not be a sound sleeper. Of course elevation can impede sleep, and that sometimes messes with me above 10k'. Once in a while I'll feel really wired while trying to bed down. When I feel that coming on I'll down half a Vicodin, and an hour later I'm counting sheep no matter what. YMMV.

I've had the same issue as the OP and your method is exactly what I've started doing, especially when it's cold and I've got the hood cinched up.

Topic Name: Getting along with your sleeping equipment Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 07:08:29 AM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 07:08:29 AM »

I've had the same issue as the OP and your method is exactly what I've started doing, especially when it's cold and I've got the hood cinched up.

You use it comforter style, or do you head straight for the vicodin??? Cheesy

Topic Name: Getting along with your sleeping equipment Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 01:19:10 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 01:19:10 PM »

You use it comforter style, or do you head straight for the vicodin??? Cheesy

LOL...

Topic Name: Getting along with your sleeping equipment Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 09:20:47 PM
ekloco

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 09:20:47 PM »

Mont Bell makes  their "Super Spiral Down Hugger"....I have only tried one at the mountaineering store....But... the idea is that the bag itself is huge thereby allowing lots of freedom of movement....the "Hugger" part comes in with design + elastic to keep the down closer to your body and thus warmer.....It was really comfortable and roomy....I want one but for now I have my sleeping bag scene covered.

ekloco santa fe
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: