Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 04:54:40 PM
neve_r_est

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 04:54:40 PM »

I've got a Wingnut MPS pack and a Nemo Gogo bivy/tent.

I've been using the Wingnut for a few years and it's truly made all my Camelbaks obselete. The lower weight distribution is a very noticable improvement and being able to get to stuff in the wing pockets while riding is brilliant. The MPS is a modular pack with three detachable parts:  a large main pod with a bladder pocket and mesh outer pocket, a small pod with a couple flat organizing sleeves, and the main lumbar pack and shoulder straps. The main lumbar pack has a bladder pocket, a pair of suprisingly large zippered wing pockets, a pair or mesh wing pockets, and a very adaptable strap/elastic beavertail for straping in clothing, groceries, small dogs, ect... All the zippers and compartments are waterproof. Not sure what the pack material is, looks kinda like Gridstop, tough stuff. Maybe not the lightest pack out there, but it's been a blissfull gear investment for me.

I've only been out in the Nemo GoGo once so far. It still suffers from condensation, all shelters will at some point(I was camping in ~30deg freezing rain on snowpack), but it's pretty nice for a simple shelter. Setup is super fast, the airbeam only takes a minute or so and it's up, staking can be done from within(sort of within: get in, stake out at the hips and head, air the beam up). It also fits my large and tall winter bag pretty well (most bivys are too small to fit a big winter bag). There's not enough room to sit upright and you still have to wiggle/scoot to get in, but there is enough room to read a book or change clothes inside, and some room for gear. So far I'm pretty happy with it. The only downsides I can see are the lack of a more  waterproof/breathable fabric or ventilation, and the airbeam might be a problem in areas with lots of pricklies(although I've seen people adapt poles in place of the air beam).

DG
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:01:15 PM by neve_r_est » Logged

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 08:09:21 PM
dave54

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 08:09:21 PM »

Just curious, but dos anyone use an elephant foot bag in nice summer weather rather than a full bag?

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 08:31:57 PM
Waves77

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 08:31:57 PM »

I've got a Wingnut MPS pack and a Nemo Gogo bivy/tent.

Do you think it would fit me at 6'4" and shoe size 15?

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 04:24:35 PM
neve_r_est

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 04:24:35 PM »

I'm 6'3" with a 13" shoe and there's room to spare. With a summer bag there might even be some air space between the bag and tent.

DG

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 05:07:00 PM
Waves77

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »

I'm 6'3" with a 13" shoe and there's room to spare. With a summer bag there might even be some air space between the bag and tent.

Awesome!

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 08:14:23 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 08:14:23 PM »

Lots of good suggestions in this thread!!  My 2 ¢’s

A $40 tyvek ground sheet/tarp http://www.materialconcepts.com/products/tyvek/ground-sheet/ and basic bivy like the ($89 REI Minimalist) gives lots and lots of set up ‘options’ 

I like to set up the tarp like AZTtripper mentioned if I think it is going to rain, otherwise just toss the bivy on top ½ the tyvek, spread out my gear as handy/needed, toss the bag on top of the bivy, then during the night adjust as needed, for cold-bag in bivy, for light rain-pull 1/2 the tyvek over top of upper bivy and all my gear.  Also this combo is light, packable, rain proof up to a point, has room to spread out your stuff and move/roll around, keeps your gear off the ground & under cover-hence no morning condensation, keeps the tiny desert ‘sticky’ vegetation you  might bed down on in the dark at bay etc etc

Also I agree with using clothing as part of your insulation, I pick and choose from the following, depending on the expected trip conditions:  A thin (will fit under the helmet) baklava, a 6 oz sleeveless down vest, a long sleeve light-weight wool undershirt, unpadded tights, full length leg warmers, knee warmers, arm warmers, a lightweight set of water proof ‘overgloves’ (tough enough to use around camp and loose enough to fit over your bike gloves in the night/morning or anytime when raining)

Well, I could go on and on but will stop now……. hey its sort of fun geeking out on all the gear choices….enjoy
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 08:18:09 PM by trail717 » Logged

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 06:03:47 AM
theodorefuller4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 06:03:47 AM »

Hi guys,

New to the forum and bikepacking, looking to start doing a few overnighters and long weekends in a couple of months, so I'm starting to get some gear (have to go one paycheck at a time Smiley).

I live in Albuquerque, so trips will be in the Central/Northern NM area.

Sleeping bag:
Looking at getting the Big Agnes Crater (15 Degree Down w/ pad). Appears often on SAC for around 130, and including the pad it's a pretty light bag. Would look into getting a summer bag further down the road.

Tent:
Eureka Spitfire Solo - Seems like a very decent tent for the price. Couldn't really find a bivy without condensation problems within this price range, so figure this would be a nice one to take with on colder/rainy trips.

Backpack:
Osprey Talon 22 - Great reviews all over including here, bladder friendly, good size.

Other gear:
Thinking of a Epic Designs or similar saddle post bag, and a handle bar strap system for tent/sleeping bag.

How does this sound? Any alternatives I should be looking at for any of these?

TIA!

Have you ever tried with Bike Knee Pad Review?
Check the Bike Knee Pad Review: Which Fox Is Good For You? http://gobikingmad.com/bike-knee-pad-review-which-fox-is-good-for-you/

~Theodore~
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: