Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) on: December 28, 2008, 07:46:19 PM
Waves77

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2008, 07:46:19 PM »

Hi guys,

New to the forum and bikepacking, looking to start doing a few overnighters and long weekends in a couple of months, so I'm starting to get some gear (have to go one paycheck at a time Smiley).

I live in Albuquerque, so trips will be in the Central/Northern NM area.

Sleeping bag:
Looking at getting the Big Agnes Crater (15 Degree Down w/ pad). Appears often on SAC for around 130, and including the pad it's a pretty light bag. Would look into getting a summer bag further down the road.

Tent:
Eureka Spitfire Solo - Seems like a very decent tent for the price. Couldn't really find a bivy without condensation problems within this price range, so figure this would be a nice one to take with on colder/rainy trips.

Backpack:
Osprey Talon 22 - Great reviews all over including here, bladder friendly, good size.

Other gear:
Thinking of a Epic Designs or similar saddle post bag, and a handle bar strap system for tent/sleeping bag.

How does this sound? Any alternatives I should be looking at for any of these?

TIA!

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 09:15:38 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 09:15:38 PM »

What kind of riding are you planning?  (How rough/technical/steep?)

One concern might be the overall weight of the system.  But if it's going to be ~15 degs out, there isn't too much you can do about it.

Looks like a good sleeping bag.  I can't tell if the weight (~2.5 pounds) includes the inflatable pad or not, though.  If so, that's not bad for a bag+pad at 15 degs.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 09:42:19 PM
Waves77

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 09:42:19 PM »

What kind of riding are you planning?  (How rough/technical/steep?)

I haven't planned any routes yet, but I'll be riding a rigid 29er, so nothing too technical. XC type of riding to begin with.

One concern might be the overall weight of the system.  But if it's going to be ~15 degs out, there isn't too much you can do about it.

I think at my budget, that's pretty much going to be the overall problem for anything except mid-summer Cheesy

Looks like a good sleeping bag.  I can't tell if the weight (~2.5 pounds) includes the inflatable pad or not, though.  If so, that's not bad for a bag+pad at 15 degs.

Very good point! I'll look into that, because that's one of the things that I like about that bag. Awesome weight for bag+pad at that price.

EDIT: Actually 2.5 pounds is for the bag, pad is around 2 pounds... that seems less than ideal.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 09:49:12 PM by Waves77 » Logged

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 11:16:01 PM
DaveC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 11:16:01 PM »

A few things:

Backpackinglight is having a huge sale right now.  Worth looking at (esp for a lighter bag). 

If you want cheap, get a Ridgerest pad.  Inflatables are luxury items.

I doubt you'll need a tent for 3 season use in NM.  A tarp should be quite adequate. 

I'd also throw out that a rackless system and a pack like the Talon are going to mandate a light and compact setup.  This means two things: getting a compact sleeping system, and bringing less crap.  Better in my experience to spend money up front and save later, as opposed to the opposite.

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 11:56:58 PM
Rob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 11:56:58 PM »

The pad that comes with it isn't very compact, I'd recommend getting the insulated air core pad, it packs half as small. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 12:14:58 AM by Rob » Logged

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 10:38:16 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 10:38:16 AM »

EDIT: Actually 2.5 pounds is for the bag, pad is around 2 pounds... that seems less than ideal.

Yeah, that's a lot of weight, and more importantly -- bulk.  I'd look at an air core pad as Rob suggests.  They are relatively cheap.

If you can get your mind around a tarp setup, that would save some weight and bulk, too.  My trips in NM have all been with a tarp or emergency bivvy.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 11:50:27 AM
Waves77

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 11:50:27 AM »

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Letting go of the idea of a tent (at least for NM). For a sleeping bag looking at the Campmor 20 degree mummy + pad. Still doing more searching online, so will keep you posted!

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 02:09:36 PM
sendoodoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 02:09:36 PM »

The Talon 22 is an ok pack, but something like the new Ergon BC3 will carry the weight on your back better with less fatigue. Those weigh more but for me lower back comfort is a bigger priority. Also with space blanket or emergency bivy you can increase the temp rating on your sleeping bag.  I have the BA insulated air core pad and 15 degree down bag and froze my butt off one night sleeping on damp sand in a tent last March at Gooseberry Mesa.  I would recommend something to reflect heat up from underneath you if cool or damp.

Sendero Cycles
"purpose built bikes for people with a purpose."
www.senderocycles.com

VooDoo Cycles
www.voodoocycles.net

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 06:47:14 PM
chuckc1971

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 06:47:14 PM »

...the new Ergon BC3 will carry the weight on your back better with less fatigue. Those weigh more...

How much does the BC3 weigh? Can't find it on the net. Also, only find it on E-bay and Competitive Cyclist. Other sites?

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 06:53:36 PM
Waves77

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 06:53:36 PM »

How much does the BC3 weigh? Can't find it on the net. Also, only find it on E-bay and Competitive Cyclist. Other sites?

Looks badass. Twice the price and weight though...

One source (for those interested):
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mountain-bikes/product-accessories/2009-ergon-bc3-m-backpack-4648.448.1.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Google%2BBase&utm_campaign=Datafeed

Seems like it's not available everywhere yet...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 06:59:03 PM by Waves77 » Logged

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 10:05:25 PM
Waves77

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 10:05:25 PM »

Doing some more reading and searching, I've come up with a new combo for the sleeping gear:

Sleeping bag:
NF Beeline 30 degree down (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47900)

Very lightweight at 1lb 6oz! Campmor has them at a great price, so it's not that much more than what I was looking to spend originally. Planning to combine it with the Sea To Summit Reactor Thermolite for colder weather (and I could even use this liner with by itself in the summer heat).

Bivy: Equinox Ultralight Bivy Sack - 6.5 oz and I think it would cover most of what I would need for NM weather.

Pad: Therm-a-Rest Z-Lite - superlight at a great price.

Does this sound better?

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 01:13:55 AM
Eric

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 01:13:55 AM »

Some bivy thoughts..
if you actually need to use it (its raining) - you'll be wishing you had a tarp even with the best bivy sacks, and if it does not rain you end up with condensation all over your sleeping bag anyway and you might as well left it at home.

I guess for dry New Mexico it's fine, but tarps are way better and you can smile in comfort when it rains. Most of the good ones (MLD) might be out of your budget.

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 04:20:21 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 04:20:21 AM »

Sounds like you are getting there as long as is doesn't rain your set so the question is do you need to stay completely dry if it does rain. Or will you be able to get somewhere and dry out (home/motel room). If you can then leave the tarp at home.

I like to have a light 5x7' tarp (and 4 12 foot pieces of string) added to the bivy sack once set up I can keep my gear dry my head and body are under the tarp and only my feet (inside the bivy) are sticking out.  Unless it is really cold I sleep with the bivy open to prevent condensation.

IMO the 30deg bag is enough with out the liner first the bivy adds 10deg to the bag then if you have a light pair of thermal bottoms and a mid weight top on you can add 10deg to the bag. I like having something dry to put on in camp anyway let the bike clothes hang out too dry just be sure to put them away so they stay dry over night.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 04:27:49 AM by AZTtripper » Logged

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 01:22:33 PM
Slim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 01:22:33 PM »

I'm not sure what the day and night temps are like for the trips you are planning, so that would affect the amount of insulation. One thing I would allways stress is to bring some of your insulation as clothes, rather than as a bag. A warm jacket and perhaps pants area big benefit in the evening and morning, or even during rest stops during the day in cold weather. Then wear the insulated clothing to bed at night to save weight on your sleeping bag. This also lets you use the same bag for a wide range of temps, because you are only making up the difference between sitting and sleeping.

I don't know what bivy you were referring to but be aware that Equinox makes a microfiber bivy that is not coated. I love it for keeping light dew or frost of my bag when it's dry or under a tarp, just don't assume it will provide any protection against liquid water.

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 03:16:00 PM
Waves77

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »

Thanks again for all the advice guys, still reading and looking into sleeping bags.

Right now the NF Beeline and the Montbell Hugger #3 are the most likely candidates, along with the thermolite liner and the z-lite pad.

I'm still reading about bivy's, although right now I'm considering a Nemo Gogo, slightly heavier than a bivy but a very flexible piece of equipment that packs down very small.

Dave, thanks for the tip on the Backpackinglight sale, ended up picking up a nice pair of merino wool shorts Smiley

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 03:20:06 PM
Waves77

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 03:20:06 PM »

. One thing I would allways stress is to bring some of your insulation as clothes, rather than as a bag. A warm jacket and perhaps pants area big benefit in the evening and morning, or even during rest stops during the day in cold weather. Then wear the insulated clothing to bed at night to save weight on your sleeping bag. This also lets you use the same bag for a wide range of temps, because you are only making up the difference between sitting and sleeping.

Good tip, I was planning on doing that. Here in Albuquerque it can get pretty windy and cold in the evenings, so I have some nice merino shirts and jerseys for my after work commute. I already picked up a pair of merino wool shorts (gotta love the lack of stink for multi-day trips Smiley)

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 05:41:49 AM
Slim

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 05:41:49 AM »

I love Merino as well, but I was thinking of something more substantial for insulation, like down or synthetic. There are some insulated jackets out there that weigh no more than a fleece or wool sweater and are a lot warmer.

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 05:37:41 PM
sendoodoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 05:37:41 PM »

Looks badass. Twice the price and weight though...

One source (for those interested):
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mountain-bikes/product-accessories/2009-ergon-bc3-m-backpack-4648.448.1.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Google%2BBase&utm_campaign=Datafeed

Seems like it's not available everywhere yet...

Looks like BTI just got the Ergon BC3 packs in last Friday so any shop can order one right now...  I just received mine and it is pretty well thought out:
- water resistant YKK zippers
- separate bladder compartment
- removable internal tool organizer
- several internal storage pockets
- much easier access to gear than BD1 or BD2

I'll be using this as my main pack for awhile I think. ~jb
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 07:35:35 AM by voodoojohn » Logged

Sendero Cycles
"purpose built bikes for people with a purpose."
www.senderocycles.com

VooDoo Cycles
www.voodoocycles.net

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 10:07:37 PM
Eric

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 10:07:37 PM »

if you get an insulated jacket - get one with a hood. REI used to make the Gossamer jacket and it was perfect

Topic Name: Getting my first gear, please critique my picks :) Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 09:44:21 AM
WillyK

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 09:44:21 AM »

As for backpacks......you might want to check out Wingnut packs. www.wingnutgear.com Their lowrider system puts the weight low on your back/hips.... good for some people and not for others, but it works for me. This also keeps the bulk down low so it's unlikely to  get caught on low-hanging trees, etc. and keeps it from wanting to sling around to my side on steep, techy descents. I've only had mine for about 6 months so I haven't written a review yet, but so far it's the best pack I've ever had. Great design features, lightweight but strong fabric, top notch construction and made in the USA.

I have the Adventure Pack, which is plenty big enough for me, yet it can be compressed well when only partially loaded. The Enduro is a little smaller yet has a roomy main compartment.  I've read that some people bikepack with the Hyper3.0 ( I have one of these also ) , but the main compartment is fairly narrow and with a rackless system, is just too small for me.

--Spend time behind bars--
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: