Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: GoGo Nemo LE bivy/tent on: March 09, 2016, 06:34:00 AM
Trhoppe

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2016, 06:34:00 AM »

Anyone use one of these that has some direct feedback? I purchased one on Amazon that can return, and after trying it in the back yard, I'm thinking of sending it back. Wondering if my concern is invalid. It's pretty much a trash bag/oven in terms of ventilation! Granted I am trying it on a nice sunny day, in the back yard, in weather where I'd normally not have a tent at all, but damn is it a sauna. Also thinking with that and morning dew/condensation, it would be kind of a wet mess possibly.

Does it breathe better than I'm thinking? Anyone in love with theirs? It packs down super nice, 1000g all in, and I like not having to deal with tent poles.

Topic Name: GoGo Nemo LE bivy/tent Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 07:15:50 AM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 07:15:50 AM »

I have a similar Nemo. Way nicer than a bivy in terms of comfort. Like all single wall shelters condensation can be a problem in certain conditions. I have moved to a traditional tent for general touring. Keeping my Nemo though since sometimes its just what i need...

Topic Name: GoGo Nemo LE bivy/tent Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 01:03:44 PM
Smithhammer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 01:03:44 PM »

That's too bad to hear - I was curious about this one. Seems to be the inescapable reality of bivies. I have an Outdoor Research bivy (The Helium) and it also tends to condensate quite a bit. Bivies are really only backup insurance for me when I'm not going to be out for more than a few nights and I'm confident that the forecast is mild, otherwise I bring more effective shelter. Spending extended amounts of time in a bivy in a downpour ain't that fun.

I have Mtn. Hardwear ultralight 2-person (really a "1.75 person") tent that offers more space and much better ventilation for only a few ounces more than the GoGo. I think I'll stick with that. And when I know I'm going to be somewhere with trees, I have a hammock/tarp setup that weighs even less and is awesome to sleep in.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:44:55 PM by Smithhammer » Logged

"Just because no one is complaining doesn't mean all the parachutes worked."

- Benny Hill

Topic Name: GoGo Nemo LE bivy/tent Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 01:16:41 PM
Trhoppe

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 01:16:41 PM »

I'm currently waffling between the Nemo and the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. The fly creek is lighter (900g all in), but has tent poles to deal with.

I was also thinking that in certain situations, the Nemo might actually be warmer. Certainly on a windy cold night at elevation, I could see the Nemo being much warmer as there is no way for that wind to get into your tent.

Topic Name: GoGo Nemo LE bivy/tent Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 01:42:47 PM
Smithhammer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 01:42:47 PM »

I was also thinking that in certain situations, the Nemo might actually be warmer. Certainly on a windy cold night at elevation, I could see the Nemo being much warmer as there is no way for that wind to get into your tent.

Yeah, that's possible, for the very same reason that you're going to have more condensation buildup - far less ventilation. I'd also be curious how well the "air beam" functions in a good wind.

- Benny Hill

Topic Name: GoGo Nemo LE bivy/tent Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 04:47:24 PM
Flounder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 04:47:24 PM »

I've been using the GoGo LE for several years now and really love it. As others have said, smaller enclosures like these will always be prone to condensation, but I find that it's easily mitigated. When temps are suitable, I often sleep with the mesh door exposed, or with the entire front folded back, exposing mesh. When it gets cold or wet, I obviously seal it up and that's when condensation can be a problem. It's usually minor and I carry a small pack towel I use to quickly dry the inner fabric before packing it up.

For warmer nights, being able to expose the mesh of the front 2/3rds of the shelter makes it one of my preferred warm weather tents where bug defense is nice.

I am of the opinion that it is one of the best bikepacking shelters ever made. Again, condensation afflicts many shelters and the GoGo LE doesn't escape that challenge entirely. Still, better than most I say.

Oh, and the air beam is bomber in bad weather. It's far stronger than a pole. My GoGo has endured some wicked wind.

Topic Name: GoGo Nemo LE bivy/tent Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 09:01:37 PM
Von Petrol

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 09:01:37 PM »

I have been using the GoGo LE for four years and like it a lot. Condensation is a minor problem. I spent over six weeks last summer living in it during several adventures.

Topic Name: GoGo Nemo LE bivy/tent Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 05:54:33 AM
Smithhammer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 05:54:33 AM »

Oh, and the air beam is bomber in bad weather. It's far stronger than a pole. My GoGo has endured some wicked wind.

Good to know.  thumbsup

- Benny Hill

Topic Name: GoGo Nemo LE bivy/tent Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 08:49:57 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 08:49:57 PM »

I have one as well. I like using it during shoulder seasons more than anything. My biggest complaint is that I'd like some venting at the foot to allow slightly better airflow. Condensation can be a problem (as others have said), but I think that's true of most bivys.

Topic Name: GoGo Nemo LE bivy/tent Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 08:54:07 PM
mattyp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 08:54:07 PM »

i have a gogo ex; which they don't make any more but you may find through eBay or other places.   it has an inner mesh ivy with a fly.  in my experience it breathes much better than most bivies but is warm than a tent.  may be worth checking out if you like the idea of a bivy or the air beam design.

Topic Name: GoGo Nemo LE bivy/tent Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 08:09:26 AM
Trhoppe

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 08:09:26 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

The warmth of it does appeal to me, but man, I think I might have to stick with the Big Agnes. The pain of carrying a tent stake are offset by the supreme ventilation, more room, and it's also lighter as a whole. I figured the times I really do need to actually use the tent vs just throwing down the sleeping bag on top of the footprint is when it will be raining, so I really do need good airflow in a shelter.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: