Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: great divide shelter suggestions Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 08:16:12 AM
cc4005

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 08:16:12 AM »

Are there any other other tents which I should consider ?

If you go the tent route, I've had good luck with the Sierra Designs Lightyear 1 (3 lb.) Used it on several hundred miles of the GDMBR as well as lots of other locations/terrain. Roomy for the packed weight and fits me at 6'-4". I don't have experience with the SD Stash 1. Looks like the tradeoffs with the Lightyear are the LY gives about 12" more interior height but 1/2 the vestibule space and 3 oz. heavier. Interior height is nice when waiting out rain, etc., but I would seriously consider the Stash for the vestibule space if I were buying now. Stash is a few bucks cheaper but both are in your stated budget.

Wade

Topic Name: great divide shelter suggestions Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 02:39:15 AM
rhino-x

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 02:39:15 AM »

I really like my Zpacks tarp.  I have the one without a bug net, claimed weight is 4 oz.  This weight doesn't include stakes or seam sealer, but still well under a pound for the whole thing.  With a tyvek ground sheet cut to size, it works quite well.  I have yet to subject it to really bad weather though, rain with variable strong winds could be uncomfortable:

Can you give an update on how the tarp is going? Do you regreat not getting the mossie net included?

Topic Name: great divide shelter suggestions Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 05:50:00 PM
liricooli

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »

Hi guys,
I'm in New Mexico now, after about 6.5 weeks on the Great Divide, hoping to finish in about 5\6 days.

I was using Tarptent's Contrail and I must say that I love it. It takes some time to perfect the pitch but once you know how to get it done, It's super fast and you can adjust it well to the weather conditions.

I like that there's good space inside the tent, it's both ventilated but waterproof. I also like the fact that there's a bug netting.

As somebody mentioned above, it ships with 4 stakes, but really at least 2 more stakes and guylines are recommended IMHO. 
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: