Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Headlamp to match dynamo light on: December 29, 2015, 07:18:45 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2015, 07:18:45 AM »

I took my new Exposure Revo out for a spin last night on a mixed terrain route, filled with twisty rocky single track and wide open roads.

I found that the Revo always provided enough light for what I was doing, so I could always see ahead, but that the amount of light varied widely. As such, for the twisty uphill parts my 150 lumen headlamp was enough to shine around corners to see where I was going. But once I started down hill the Revo would start pumping out light like nobody's business, and totally wash out any assistance my headlamp could do.

I feel like maybe if I had an overall brighter headlamp that would help, because 150 lumens is very much on the low end. Either that, or somehow adjust my headlamp to match the brightness of the Revo.

What do you guys use paired with your Revo? I'd like to find something with a 2+ hour batter life at the intended output, and that that either uses AA/AAAs or is USB rechargable, so that I can keep it topped off on multi day drips. I'm planning to do a number of rides this year that start before dawn and end way after sunset, so long battery life is important. It seems like getting good battery life basically requires 18650s so I may just have to carry a 18650 charger too...
Right now I am looking at:

Nitecore HC90 (good battery life, USB rechargable, really strange variable output slider thing which would make it impossible for me to know what exactly my output is and so how long my batteries will last)

Nitecore HC30 (great high and mid settings outputs and battery life)

Fenix HL55 (High seems pretty good)

Fenix HP12 (Identical to FL55, but with external battery pack)

Topic Name: Headlamp to match dynamo light Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 08:28:16 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 08:28:16 AM »

Exposure Diablo on the head. Recharge as needed from the dyno or wall.
Usually set on low.

I also have a Fenix UC40 UE. On medium or low. Runs on internal rechargeable battery or you can put in the 18650s or CR123 I think.

Topic Name: Headlamp to match dynamo light Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 07:24:10 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 07:24:10 AM »

My go-to tactic is to copy verbatim anything you do. I like the way you bike. I decided oh what the hell and went for the Diablo. I never plan on using it at max output, so the battery life should be fantastic.

Topic Name: Headlamp to match dynamo light Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 07:39:27 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 07:39:27 AM »

The Diablo is a fantastic light. A bit heavier than their other options they show for head mounting.
Learn to switch the program modes. I think I have mine on 3, gives me a long long time on low (perfect for a camp light...).

I use it often on the bars with the bar mount when I'm not on the dyno equipped bike. Plenty of burn time for my local loop riding on medium, and I can switch to high as needed.

Also, this thing is silly looking as hell:

Improvised by Mike, on Flickr

I don't run it when I wear the light on my head, but I had to emergency zip tie that light on for that trip, so my camp light stayed on the helmet.
Really diffuses the light. Pick one up if you camp. Hung from the tent, bars, tree branch, etc. it really lights up camp. Here I'm making use of it to finish cleaning up the yard:

Because dark and work needs doing... by Mike, on Flickr

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: