Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: How many liters/cc of bag space do you usually have? on: February 11, 2016, 06:51:41 PM
Biggus Duckus

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2016, 06:51:41 PM »

I got my first bikepacking bike and I'm looking at bags for trips that would probably be a maximum of 3 days without R&R.  I don't have any ultralight gear so I'm buying the biggest seat bag and handlebar bag that I can.  Here is what I have researched:

Seat bag: 17.5 L
Partial frame bag: 5.3 L
Handlebar bag: 20 L
Gas tank: 0.8 L
Two bottle cages

Total: 43 L (+5 if I buy an accessory handlebar bag)

Is that good? Decent? I know that's a manageable amount of space for a couple days backpacking, but I'm very new to this scene.  How much space do you guys usually take with you? Will I regret not buying a full frame bag?

Thanks!

Topic Name: How many liters/cc of bag space do you usually have? Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:55:51 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:55:51 PM »

I got my first bikepacking bike and I'm looking at bags for trips that would probably be a maximum of 3 days without R&R.  I don't have any ultralight gear so I'm buying the biggest seat bag and handlebar bag that I can.  Here is what I have researched:

Two bottle cages

Is that good? Decent? I know that's a manageable amount of space for a couple days backpacking, but I'm very new to this scene.  How much space do you guys usually take with you? Will I regret not buying a full frame bag?

Thanks!

Full frame bags are worth the space over a partial as you can jam a lot of small heavy things (snacks, batteries, tools, spares,etc) in those little nooks and crannies that would otherwise be dead space or air between where your two bottles are sitting. A 2L bladder in a full frame pack is more space efficient than a partial with 2 bottles.

You can also always add a small backpack if you find yourself short on space. Just try to pack it light as too much weight on the back leads to all sorts of discomfort in other places.

A 43L pack is a lot of space for 3 days backpacking, with bikepacking the space is spread out so you just have to be more efficient with where you put things. Either way 43L still seems like a lot. I've found in bikepacking speak quantifiable volume numbers are rarely talked about as they are in the backpacking world.

Lay out your big (2) in this case your Bag/pad and Shelter. Lay out your other gear, the little things; tools, spares, repairs, water treatment, cook kit, etc.. This should give you a pretty good visual idea on how much stuff you're actually taking how much space it takes up and where you could potentially hide it on your bike.
A big seat bag is a good place to dump a big sleeping bag if it won't fit anywhere else.
Handlebar pouches are a good place to dump quick grab stuff but can easily be overpacked and have a negative effect on handling. You can also always add accessory bags but keep in mind the smaller the bag; gas tanks, feedbags, etc. the less space to weight savings you're getting. Put otherwise you're getting a lot of material weight in the empty bag itself for not a lot of space.

Good luck!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: How many liters/cc of bag space do you usually have? Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:40:00 PM
Biggus Duckus

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:40:00 PM »

Thanks! Another thing I meant to bring up that could sway my opinion is the option of bottle or storage cages on the fork.  What are some options for a curved fork that has braze ons? I'm hoping for something besides hose clamps because I plan to use my bike as my cross bike as well, so something easily removable and not permanent...

Topic Name: How many liters/cc of bag space do you usually have? Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 11:11:32 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 11:11:32 PM »

Thanks! Another thing I meant to bring up that could sway my opinion is the option of bottle or storage cages on the fork.  What are some options for a curved fork that has braze ons? I'm hoping for something besides hose clamps because I plan to use my bike as my cross bike as well, so something easily removable and not permanent...

Your bike does have braze ons for bottles or just one part way up the fork a rack/fender eyelet?
On my Long Haul Trucker I set up bottle cages on the fork for a tour in Panama and Costa Rica. Used the existing rack braze on a hose clamp on either leg. I know you said you'd rather not use hose clamps but they're simple, very effective and can be mounted without blemishing your bike by using an old tube and some tape where the hose clamp will attach. Couple minutes to take on and off and are super solid.

* LHT fork.JPG (186.63 KB, 709x531 - viewed 4358 times.)

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: How many liters/cc of bag space do you usually have? Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 02:45:59 PM
Biggus Duckus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 02:45:59 PM »

There are two sets of eyelets, they are nearly the same distance apart as bottle cage mounts on the frame but I don't think it's exact.  I think these are designed for racks, specifically a low-rider and a high-rider (or both). 

This is my bike model but this picture is not mine.  If you look at the fork you will see the eyelets. 

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nNluBsOCb-Y/U8fwpug-pII/AAAAAAAAVQg/0ptWZxXHYjs/s1600/Wolverine.jpg

I guess hose clamps aren't as much of a hassle as I originally thought, so maybe I'll go that route with some Monkii or Gorilla Cages to use for water or compressible objects.  The partial bag is about 10 L less than a full, but I think I can make it work.  And if it's anything like my backpacking habits, having the extra space means I will fill it with completely unnecessary items like growlers and booze...

Thanks for the help Addy.

Topic Name: How many liters/cc of bag space do you usually have? Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 05:53:44 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 05:53:44 PM »

Nice, is that a wolverine? A very capable bike for adventuring of all sorts, they look really nice.

I'd go full frame bag if you can, partials are great too, large seat bag if you're concerned with space and if it'll fit between your saddle and the rear tire, handlebar harness and pouch to fit between the dropbars and if you need the extra space a gas tank for quick grab stuff. That's a very typical set up for cross/gravel bikes, rightfully so, it works.
Those large triangles with near horizontal top tubes can swallow a lot of stuff in a properly fitted full frame bag.

From the pic the braze-ons look too far apart to use a standard bottle cage. Perhaps an Anything Cage or something like that may work, you'd have to measure the distance between obviously.

Growlers and booze aren't the worst thing to fill the extra space with Wink
Cheers!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: How many liters/cc of bag space do you usually have? Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 02:13:20 PM
Allan_333

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 02:13:20 PM »

I got my first bikepacking bike and I'm looking at bags for trips that would probably be a maximum of 3 days without R&R.  I don't have any ultralight gear so I'm buying the biggest seat bag and handlebar bag that I can.  Here is what I have researched:

Two bottle cages

Is that good? Decent? I know that's a manageable amount of space for a couple days backpacking, but I'm very new to this scene.  How much space do you guys usually take with you? Will I regret not buying a full frame bag?

Thanks!

My next trip is going to be on my road bike, 2 months long, in summer.

I plan to have the following storage:
Top tube bag, 1.5L
Seat pack, 12L
Partial frame bag, 4L
Rear triangle bag, 0.5L

Total 18L

I Pack fairly lightly for road trips, even long ones, it also helps to be going through summer so no bulky sleeping bags or clothes.

Topic Name: How many liters/cc of bag space do you usually have? Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 08:37:21 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 08:37:21 AM »

What toptube bag holds 1.5L? I must be using the wrong bags! Mine just about holds 4-6 granola bars, depending on the size.

Topic Name: How many liters/cc of bag space do you usually have? Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:37:53 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:37:53 AM »

What toptube bag holds 1.5L? I must be using the wrong bags! Mine just about holds 4-6 granola bars, depending on the size.

Yes you are using the wrong bags. You could be using my gas tank, which holds 2 liters and weighs 4oz.  icon_biggrin

* ctr2015 033.1.jpg (296.27 KB, 968x1296 - viewed 4192 times.)

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: How many liters/cc of bag space do you usually have? Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 12:46:42 PM
Biggus Duckus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 12:46:42 PM »

Thanks for all the answers, I feel a lot more confident of the amount of space I have available to me.

Yes, Addy, I decided to go with a Soma Wolverine and it's wonderful.  33mm cross tires for cross season and 2.1" Nanos for adventuring.  As for bags, I decided to get the partial frame bag because a) I'm lazy and I hate switching around bottle cages, and b) I think I have enough space as is.  Since my fork doesn't have the Salsa/Surly gear compatibility, I decided on Free Parable Gorilla Cages using one eyelet and the hose clamp recommendation. 

Can't wait to do my first S24O soon!

Topic Name: How many liters/cc of bag space do you usually have? Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 01:27:01 PM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 01:27:01 PM »

Dreamforest,  who makes that huge gastank? Pretty awesome!
Thanks

Topic Name: How many liters/cc of bag space do you usually have? Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 01:40:51 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 01:40:51 PM »

I make it. I am selling them now. I should have my website up soon. So far I have a production harness/pocket that is dialed in. Still working on a really stable huge gas tank. I am sure if someone orders one I can have it delivered in under 2 weeks.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: How many liters/cc of bag space do you usually have? Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 03:00:20 PM
Biggus Duckus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 03:00:20 PM »

Addy, you were probably right all along.  I got the partial frame bag and a) it's not very roomy unless I stuff it to the brim, and b) when stuffed to the brim it rubs against my knees.  I'll likely return it and just get the full bag offered by the same company.  I'll just have to live with the small inconvenience of taking the bottle cages off once in a while!

Topic Name: How many liters/cc of bag space do you usually have? Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 05:19:40 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 05:19:40 PM »

Addy, you were probably right all along.  I got the partial frame bag and a) it's not very roomy unless I stuff it to the brim, and b) when stuffed to the brim it rubs against my knees.  I'll likely return it and just get the full bag offered by the same company.  I'll just have to live with the small inconvenience of taking the bottle cages off once in a while!

It's hard to imagine partials vs fulls until you see them for yourself, jam them with all your gear and try them out. I make my own bags and gear and have experimented with tonnes of conceivable options so I've got a fair idea on what works (for me) and what doesn't.

For the amount of trips/times you'll have to take off and add your bottle cages it'll be worth the small time inconvenience.

Post some pics once you get it all loaded up. Those Wolverines are cool bikes.

@adamalphabet
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: