Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack on: October 04, 2016, 06:23:01 PM
trail_monkey

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2016, 06:23:01 PM »

Just a question. I have used one in the past but was trying to get away from it but am starting to reconsider as it is a lot of valuable storage space. I actually have a couple of Blowfish packs by Camelback. The last trip I left them at home and put a water bladder in my frame bag which took up a lot of real estate. A lot of people say they hate how their backs sweat with a backpack but the truth is I am a sweater and my back dumps sweat whether it has a backpack on or not so that doesn't bother me.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 06:37:15 PM by trail_monkey » Logged

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 06:29:45 AM
Hayduke

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 06:29:45 AM »

I use a Camelback Ambush left over from a crappy federal job, 3 liter bladder with just a small amount of internal storage for first aid, fire, snacks etc. and some external PALS webbing to shock cord a rain jacket.

Works good for me, I like having water and basic gear handy for side hikes and rides.

I've done the day/3day pack thing in the past, it works, but I don't care for it.

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 04:43:05 PM
sdr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 04:43:05 PM »

I used a backpack for the first time this past weekend for a two day ride. Between the extra sweat and pain that developed between my shoulder blades, lets just say if I ever have to pack the two person tent again I'll be a bit more diligent to make sure everything fits on the bike.

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 04:52:07 PM
trail_monkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 04:52:07 PM »

I may be a little different but when I've worn a pack fully loaded in the past I always felt like it balanced my upper body better. Then on the next ride if I didn't wear a pack always felt like I was falling forward on the bars more. It doesn't make sense but it's almost like wearing a pact forces my lower back to stay balanced or something.

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 06:30:17 AM
eec

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 06:30:17 AM »

I use a Zefal hydration pack with a 1.5 litre bladder for day rides. It has a bit of internal storage and shock cord on the outside -- enough for keeping a rain jacket handy and storing items from store stops. On longer overnights I use a Marmot Kompressor pack. It's significantly larger, and can accommodate the bladder, plus a LOT of other items if I want. The greatest benefit to me is having items that I will need on and off throughout the day readily available, without having to dig into my bike bags, like layers and rain gear. Plus I can carry more water if needed and extra food.
I actually like wearing a pack, but I've also been an avid backpacker so am accustomed to the feel.

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 07:23:24 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 07:23:24 AM »

occasional use here, super convenient for some stuff, nice having weight on the body for some types of riding and less on the bike, nice for keeping quick access stuff quick to access...

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 09:13:04 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 09:13:04 AM »

I use an Outdoor Research Antimatter pack. It is very lightweight and can be stowed in the frame bag or seat bag very easily.
I usually don't load it with much though. Usually a windbreaker, rain jacket, water filter, bags of trailmix, etc...
I have hung Platypus bags in it on rides though. They get emptied into bottles as needed to get the weight off the back.
I love it.

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 10:15:42 AM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 10:15:42 AM »

I almost always wear a backpack, whether for short ride or backpacking, so I have long been accustomed to wearing one.  I rarely have a problem with sweaty back or back issues from wearing one, though my pack usually doesn't weigh too much. I prefer having a camelback in my pack for ease of use, particularly on technical trails.  I usually just have water (depending on need but often 1-2L), some tools/extra tube, jacket and some food/gus in it.  Even when backpacking, I try to keep my pack fairly light but love having extra space to use when needed, such as for extra food (that will soon be eaten so the extra weight doesn't last too long).

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 06:22:28 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 06:22:28 PM »

I prefer no pack when running panniers, and a pack when running modern BP bags.

Capacity is no issue with the rack and panniers, and on the types of rides I'd typically use them on, loading them up is NBD.

When I'm trying to keep my bike light and agile, I prefer a pack to get some weight off the bike. I don't like accessing drybag/compression-type closures during the day if I can help it. A small pack takes my day stuff – layers, hats, food, water and is still light enough to not need be anything other than the most basic stuff-sack of a pack. And I like to prop up my bike somewhere and walk away from it with stuff to take a break.

Edit: Sometimes when going into a multi-day supply-less stretch, the backpack will be stuffed to accommodate the extra provisions. In that case I swap out some light/bulky stuff from my bike to the pack, and put the provisions I don't need that day in the bike.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:39:29 AM by offroute » Logged

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 04:10:48 PM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 04:10:48 PM »

On my last overnight we rode our bikes to the trail head then hiked to the top. As such, we had to carry everything on our backs. All we had on the bikes were bike tools and boatloads of water (no resupply). This kept the bikes nimble, but man that pack was heavy. All the extra weight on my back compounded to make my butt hurt a lot sooner than normal, as every bump rammed my backpack down through me to the seat.

By backpacking standards our packs were light as a feather. By bikepacking standards, they were heavy as hell. If you bring a pack, save it for the light fluffy stuff that doesn't fit well in bikepacking bags.

* 14633218_10154179307553220_3229323331884407808_o.jpg (448.17 KB, 1024x683 - viewed 5067 times.)

* 14481776_10154179307453220_2966025231942872415_o.jpg (320.82 KB, 1024x683 - viewed 4990 times.)

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 05:23:39 PM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 05:23:39 PM »

A backpack is a last resort for me, only considered when water is scarce.
Otherwise, bike packing bags carry everything I need.
I find no particular difficulty in organising my packing so regularly used items are easily accessable.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 06:26:58 PM
trail_monkey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 06:26:58 PM »

If I use one only lighter stuff is going in to free up space on my bike for other stuff.

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 07:13:38 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 07:13:38 PM »

(see my disclosure)

I got into trail running, and started out with a small Osprey MTB pack, which destroyed my lower back with scrapes and scratches, so I ditched that thing for a running vest. My favorite one for bikepacking is the Ultimate Direction Peter Bakwin Adventure Vest. If you don't need it, you can stuff it in its own pocket, and pack it away - it's small enough to fit into a jersey pocket.

This is what I used for my 14er project, which was, you know: a ton of hiking/running. Ultimate Direction was into that project so much, I'm now an ambassador for them (and please use that as full disclosure!).

For a 15L capacity, the thing is less than a pound. Tons of places to put things like water, food, phone, etc. Lots of pockets up front so you don't have to take the thing off to grab it. Lots of ventilation areas so that you're not sweating out because of wearing it. I've done multiday trips with it, with stuff sacks tied to it's exterior.

I'm amazed that people aren't bikepacking with this particular vest more, rather than those tiny little backpacks like my original Osprey. I dare say I'd ever go back. Until UD brings out a bikepacking-specific pack, this is absolutely the best choice to use, in my opinion.

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 09:20:13 PM
Smithhammer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 09:20:13 PM »

No pack unless the nature of the trip really requires it. And then, as others have said, it is only for light items/additional water capacity.

"Just because no one is complaining doesn't mean all the parachutes worked."

- Benny Hill

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 03:18:32 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 03:18:32 PM »

Depends on the type of trip...

Touring - Longer trips. Mixed terrain; single track, road, dirt roads, highways, cities, exploring, eating in towns, bike as a mode of transportation and less care about bike agility - No. 

Bikepacking - Shorter Trips. Single track, hard trails, off trail, adventuring, pushing, hiking, lifting/carrying the bike, water portages, bikepack racing, Bike/Body weight distribution. Bike Agility a priority - Yes.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 06:20:56 PM
JoePavlik

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 06:20:56 PM »

No backpacks, back pain isnt worth it. just get a frame bag.

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #16 on: October 15, 2016, 01:50:54 PM
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2016, 01:50:54 PM »

A mixture for me: usually I try and avoid using one as you can get into the "I've got space then I can take ..." scenario. Last weekend on the BB200 ITT I used one, a Camelbak Lobo, mainly for water as the route was likely to go through lots of cow crap and having water bottles on the frame or a frame bag would also hinder the sections of hike-a-bike that the event is known for. It's also useful not having the weight on the bike when having to lift it over a 4ft high gate because it's fastened with a Welsh farmer's Gordian Knot.

The rest of the time I work as hard as I can not to need one. I don't get back pain from wearing one but then I've 30 years of mountaineering behind me so maybe my back's used to it.

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 09:07:14 AM
MartinFarrent

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 09:07:14 AM »

Bikepacking - Shorter Trips. Single track, hard trails, off trail, adventuring, pushing, hiking, lifting/carrying the bike, water portages, bikepack racing, Bike/Body weight distribution. Bike Agility a priority - Yes.

My view entirely for rougher trips of any length. Single track = backpack (and dropper post) for me. I have just over half my base weight and total weight in an Ortlieb Light Pack Pro 25, weighing 380g. I formerly used a Vaude Rock UL - the old model that came in at about the same weight. But the Ortlieb has an inflatable back pad which is really comfortable, as good as any frame. It eliminates just about all the bouncing around on technical trails.

Longer trips without technical trails? A rigid touring bike with Ortlieb City panniers, the tyres chosen to suit the terrain. Arkel make some very light panniers I keep dreaming about, though I haven't tried them yet. If you have accumulated plenty of UL gear for bikepacking with an MTB over the years, you should be able to get by with flimsier panniers and lighter racks on a touring bike. That can almost offset the weight advantages of bikepacking bags.

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 06:15:07 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 06:15:07 PM »

(see my disclosure)

I got into trail running, and started out with a small Osprey MTB pack, which destroyed my lower back with scrapes and scratches, so I ditched that thing for a running vest. My favorite one for bikepacking is the Ultimate Direction Peter Bakwin Adventure Vest. If you don't need it, you can stuff it in its own pocket, and pack it away - it's small enough to fit into a jersey pocket.

This is what I used for my 14er project, which was, you know: a ton of hiking/running. Ultimate Direction was into that project so much, I'm now an ambassador for them (and please use that as full disclosure!).

For a 15L capacity, the thing is less than a pound. Tons of places to put things like water, food, phone, etc. Lots of pockets up front so you don't have to take the thing off to grab it. Lots of ventilation areas so that you're not sweating out because of wearing it. I've done multiday trips with it, with stuff sacks tied to it's exterior.

I'm amazed that people aren't bikepacking with this particular vest more, rather than those tiny little backpacks like my original Osprey. I dare say I'd ever go back. Until UD brings out a bikepacking-specific pack, this is absolutely the best choice to use, in my opinion.

I've been doing more hiking and even some limited trail running / fast hiking and man I can see the potentials of the vest. Totally sold as soon as I can spend the $$ - have sort of wished for a fly fisherman style bikepacking vest for awhile... before I knew this was a thing.

Topic Name: How many of you use a backpack Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 07:24:12 PM
SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 07:24:12 PM »

I was super psyched to move the water out of my backpack onto the frame, but like wearing it for the shade and coolness, and to keep lightweight stuff super handy.  I rode with a small Osprey hydration pack this summer on the Divide and it was light enough that I barely feel it. 
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: