Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: In desperate need of your opinion on wheelsets and bikes... on: January 06, 2015, 09:14:38 PM
Spicy McHaggis

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2015, 09:14:38 PM »

Okay, here's my first world dilemma. Stick with me here...it's kinda messy but I'll keep it as clear as I can...

I've got a pretty much stock Pugsley with the double-wall Large Marge wheelset with Knards mounted on 'em.

All this crap is stuck in my head as I move away from racing and more towards adventure cycling / bikepacking.

The Pugs is my only mountain bike...but I'm wanting a Karate Monkey Ops (I'm a big Surly fan - also have a Disc Trucker)...

So here's my choices.

First, do I lighten up the Pugs by going to a Marge Lite wheelset? If so, I have two choices - buy new Marge Lite wheelset OR build with new rims and spokes, using current hubs. Or, do I just stick with the stock Large Marges and not worry about losing the couple of pounds?

Second...transform the bike into a KramPugs by adding a Rabbit Hole 29+ wheelset...again, two choices here - buy new Rabbit Hole wheelset OR build with new rims/spokes/hubs (or hubs from Large Marge wheelset).

OR - do I ditch the Rabbit Hole 29+ idea all together and just get a Karate Monkey? I've pretty much ruled out a Krampus due to the lack of suspension.

I really suck at making decisions like these. I can afford to do any / all of the choices, but only wanna spend money where it's gonna actually benefit me in the end.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and thoughts!
Ride safe
Andy

Topic Name: In desperate need of your opinion on wheelsets and bikes... Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 05:04:36 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 05:04:36 AM »

Andy

You've ruled out the Krampus due to lack of suspension, the $120 tires are the deal killer as far as I can tell.

The KM with a Fox fork, mid to light weight tubeless wheels built on quality hubs, xt level drive train and brakes.

The ultimate adventure bike tho would be FS, Lenz Leviathan or Salsa Spearfish or the like.

Are you planning on running gears? I have heard the KM, with horizontal drops, isn't the greatest with gears. Yes it can be done it's just not as simple and straight forward as a vertical dropout. Something to think about. I know a big Surly fan who went with the Salsa El Mar. for that reason.

My .02

Tim

Topic Name: In desperate need of your opinion on wheelsets and bikes... Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 06:47:37 AM
Spicy McHaggis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 06:47:37 AM »

Andy

You've ruled out the Krampus due to lack of suspension, the $120 tires are the deal killer as far as I can tell.

The KM with a Fox fork, mid to light weight tubeless wheels built on quality hubs, xt level drive train and brakes.

The ultimate adventure bike tho would be FS, Lenz Leviathan or Salsa Spearfish or the like.

Are you planning on running gears? I have heard the KM, with horizontal drops, isn't the greatest with gears. Yes it can be done it's just not as simple and straight forward as a vertical dropout. Something to think about. I know a big Surly fan who went with the Salsa El Mar. for that reason.

My .02

Tim

Tim, thanks for the reply. The new Karate Monkey Ops comes all set with gears and front sus Fox fork as you mentioned. I've not heard any issues with it at all.

Topic Name: In desperate need of your opinion on wheelsets and bikes... Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 05:29:07 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 05:29:07 PM »

This?

Topic Name: In desperate need of your opinion on wheelsets and bikes... Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 05:37:32 PM
Spicy McHaggis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 05:37:32 PM »

That's it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: In desperate need of your opinion on wheelsets and bikes... Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 06:07:46 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 06:07:46 PM »

Looks sweet lots of room for a frame bag. First world problem solved.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: